• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome.....

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Welcome, all you Tri-City faithfull.... at least those who may find it interesting to have a "chat" forum to discuss the comings and goings of the Tri-City Cricket Club in Schenectady, NY.

This is just an initial post to get things started. Hope we can generate a little interest, but if not, at least we're here!!!

Sincerely,

Steve Weisse
President - Tri-City Cricket Club
http://tricitycricket.com

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
G'day from Sydney Steve and welcome...

Wishing you all the best and I will visit often...

Megan (AKA: Eyes_Only)

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
thanks...

Megan,
Glad to see at least ONE post out here.... We just got set up, and I have yet to pass the news along to the gang. Hopefully, we'll have a few posts out here soon.
Just in case you were curious, Tri-City CC is a club that is trying to foster the game of cricket here in the U.S. We've already introduced the game to several local elementary schools, and are hoping to expand it even further next year. This is part of a grand plan to have ALL the schools in Schenectady (that's pronounced "skah-NECK-tah-dee"), NY, playing the game.
We're located about 2.5/3 hours north of New York City, in what is known locally as upstate New York, but we travel down to the city regularly to take on the many clubs there. We also play matches against teams from Toronto and Montreal CA, other teams from around New York state, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Basically, anywhere in the northeastern United States.
We are not currently in any league, but our "friendly" matches are usually played to a very high standard, and we've surprised more than one league team with our depth in batting and bowling. The core of our club are former West Indian immigrants, primarily from Guyana, but we also have Indian, Pakistani, Kenyan, English, Australian (well, not right now, anyway, but last year we did!) and four or five native born Americans, believe it or not (I'm one of 'em!).
We're truly international, and we are all rabid fans of the game. I must admit, however, that NO ONE can surpass an Aussie for cricket rabidity (if that's even a word....!). Someday, I would love to travel with our club down under and see the best in world class cricket, but it's quite expensive just to get there.
Well, I'd better run. Thanks for chiming in here, and I look forward to chatting in the future!

Steve

David

International 12th Man
Sounds pretty interesting..

Seems there is a lot more cricket activity than I expected in the US, a good sign.

And in terms of "cricket rabidity" I think the indians may pip us at the post there from what I've seen.. I could be wrong..

PY

International Coach
Are there many leagues in the US or is the game played more under friendly circumstances? Must admit I don't know a great deal about US cricket. Spose it must be quite difficult to compete against basketball and baseball. :(

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Steve...

Just further to my post...

I am the youngest female umpire in the state of New South Wales. If you ever have any umpiring questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

If I can't give you an answer, I know plenty of people who may be able to including my two mentors who are International Umpires!

I am also involved in the mighty Randwick/Petersham Cricket Club down here. I'm sure the boys would love to host a trip for you all if you ever decide to visit Sydney...

Take care...

Megan

Last edited:

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Leagues in the U.S.

Actually, there ARE a lot of leagues here in the U.S. They are centered around some of the larger population centers, like New York City, or out on the west coast in California. There are also active leagues in Texas, Florida, the mid-western U.S.... Check out www.uscricket.com for more detailed info.

Unfortunately for us, we are not close enough to New York City to participate in their leagues down there, but we're hoping to get a league of our own going around here in the next couple of years.

And of course, we're in the beginnin stages of trying to grow the sport at the elementary school level, where we currently have three schools in the city of Schenectady that are playing the game of Kanga cricket. Our goal is to get the other 9 schools on board by next year. It's a real challenge, but one that's worth it.

Steve

Cloete

International Captain
sounds gr8 m8. best of luck and who knows, someday maybe the US will be playing in tests and ODI's :)

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Steve...

Just a quick question for you...

Who is the head adminsitraive body for cricket in the US?

Here in Australia, we have the ACB (Australian Cricket Board) who oversee all aspects of the game in this country, from Juniors to Umpiring and all points in between!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A couple of questions:-

1/ What kind of organization is there in the semi-professional (?) cricket in America?
2/ What's is the level of awareness of the sport? What sort of interest is there?

Alot of people I know from the States have never heard of cricket or seemingly stereotypically consider it boring (even when they've never seen or played it).

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
First off, let me reply to Eyes Only's question. Technically, I guess, the "adminstrative body" in U.S. cricket is the United States of America Cricket Association or USACA.
Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, this august body is made up of a bunch of do-nothing bureaucrats who are more interested in turf wars and bickering than in truly promoting the game of cricket here in the U.S.
Of course, this is simply the opinion of a native born American who dearly loves the game, mind you, but there you have it. There's been a LOT of infighting with the USACA (there used to be two different organizations that merged..), and the ICC appointed "development director", Mr. Richard Weekes, I believe was his name, finally decided enough was enough and abruptly quit last year in apparent frustration with the USACA's lack of cohesiveness.
Some of my more veteran teammates on Tri-City CC are of the additional opinion that the USACA is populated with a large number of former West Indian cricketers/cricket fans who continue to focus on a player's pedigree as opposed to his talent when selecting team members. Why else would the US National team have as one of its members 43 year old Faoud Bacchus, a former Guyanese batsman who was decent in his day, but is well past his prime? Well, he had a reputation, you see, and that seem to go a long way with the USACA selectors.
Another debacle that has me feeling skeptical of the USACA's ability to seriously administer cricket in this country is the way they botched the creation of a US Junior Cricket program. Because the USACA board didn't like the guy who tried to get something good going with a tournament for junior cricketing talent, they refused to back it, and decided to try and stage something themselves.... which never happened, but effectively killed the competing tournament....
Now, by this point, if anyone has even read this far, you're probably about as fed up with hearing about the sorry state of cricket in America with regard to the upper levels of adminstration.

The GOOD thing is, at the grass roots level, cricket is going strong. We have leagues, we have talent, we have excitement and we have potential. What we DON'T have is an organization peopled with unselfish, benevolent and wise leaders who know how to grow cricket into a sport that will be accepted by the mainstream US sports fan. It's still too much a sport of immigrants.

Which leads me to the NEXT question asked out here, by Mr. Mxylpks... Yes there IS organization at the semi-pro level, but it's all completely decentralized and grass roots. As for awareness, well, that too is growing through grass roots efforts like our club's and others. We've introduced the game into the school system here in upstate New York, and have been in newspaper articles, radio shows and television news shows promoting the game. We've even appeared at local Schenectady city council meetings and neighborhood association meetings, spreading the word about the game, and with the large number of immigrants from cricket playing countries living here in the U.S., the game already has a potential fan base. We just have to find a way to tap it....

As for native born American awareness and interest, well, that's always going to be an obstacle to overcome. Yes, cricket has a reputation in this country (and deservedly so, you have to admit) of being a LONG game, which is hard for us impatient Americans to deal with. We complain when a baseball game goes more than a couple of hours, so you can imagine even a one day cricket match is considered over the limit!

Still, I think with the right promotion, cricket will get there. I've already seen it, and am a prime, living example of how it can hook the American psyche.... Time will tell, but until then, I'm going to keep tirelessly promoting the game in any way I can!!

Steve

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
GOod luck man,

its great to see that cricket is being taken up in U.S , and i really hope later on it develops a lot and theres competitions and leagues and all!

This sounds really awesome how you are totally committed to spreading the word of cricket and getting everyone to try it , i wish they voted someone like u a president of the USCricket association !!

Just keep it going and know that you have my support and support from everyone else here

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
GOod luck man,

its great to see that cricket is being taken up in U.S , and i really hope later on it develops a lot and theres competitions and leagues and all!

This sounds really awesome how you are totally committed to spreading the word of cricket and getting everyone to try it , i wish they voted someone like u a president of the USCricket association !!

Just keep it going and know that you have my support and support from everyone else here
Well said Lord...

Steve, I hope you know this goes double for me mate!!

PY

International Coach
TriCitySteve said:
United States of America Cricket Association or USACA.
Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, this august body is made up of a bunch of do-nothing bureaucrats who are more interested in turf wars and bickering than in truly promoting the game of cricket here in the U.S.
Sounds like many a cricketing organisation and especially the English Cricket Board after the World Cup 2003 debacle. :!(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
TriCitySteve said:
Like in England...
Some of my more veteran teammates on Tri-City CC are of the additional opinion that the USACA is populated with a large number of former West Indian cricketers/cricket fans who continue to focus on a player's pedigree as opposed to his talent when selecting team members. Why else would the US National team have as one of its members 43 year old Faoud Bacchus, a former Guyanese batsman who was decent in his day, but is well past his prime? Well, he had a reputation, you see, and that seem to go a long way with the USACA selectors.
Like in England...

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Lord & Eyes,
Thanks for the rousing support, but I'm afraid I'm not well enough connected to run the USACA..... And since I've only been playing this great sport of cricket for three years, I suspect many would scoff at the notion of my involvement with the sport at all!

Seriously, though, what needs to happen in America is for a professional sports promotion company to decide that cricket is worth taking a chance on. Right now, with television rights pretty much locked up (we can only get live cricket via satellite dish, over the Dish network, on a pay-per-view basis...), there's little chance of getting the word out that way. Even if it were televised, I suspect most native-born Americans would be baffled by watching it, like I was. It's actually harder to follow the game when you watch it on television, because you don't always see the bowlers changing ends, or the batsmen running, or a whole host of other things that go on during a match. Without someone there explaining it, someone watching could easily get so confused that they would lose interest.

Where I think we need to focus is at the elementary school level. That's how soccer took hold here, and I'm convinced cricket can do the same thing. If American children grow up familiar with the game from having learned it in school, then they will be more likely to either play the game, or at least watch it with interest if and when we get some domestic cricket coverage... (or even some World cricket coverage!). All of this will take TIME of course, but there's no time like the present.

Well, as most of you can see, I'm the only one from my club posting out here, as I really haven't had the chance to promote this new feature of our website. By the way, we have a website at tricitycricket.com if anyone's interested in checking out what our season is going like. (We've been on a bit of a win streak, but I unfortunately have yet to play, as I'm also coaching my son's baseball team... whose season doesn't end until mid-June... but don't worry, he'll be back playing cricket this summer, as will I!).

I DO appreciate the words of support and encouragement, and hope that this little bulletin board feature gets more use over time.

And eyes, thanks for offering umpiring advice. It's always good to have experts on hand to consult! Here's one for ya.. (this really happened in a match last year....):

The striker plays a shot but misses, but the ball glances off his pads and past the keeper into the outfield, a leg-bye, of course. The aggressive non-striker calls for a run, and the striker leaves his crease only to lose heart and turn back at the last minute just as the non-striker makes his ground..... Of course the throw from the outfield is brilliantly on mark, blasting apart the stumps as both batsmen simultaneously make their ground. The astute gully rushes in, shovels the ball to the bowler at the other end who strikes the wicket there. The question is, which batsman is out? The original, faint hearted striker, or the bold non-striker?
My decision, as umpire, was to give the original striker out, as he had left his ground briefly and, in my opinion, lost his right to that ground to the non-striker who was running toward it. Was I correct???

Well, that's my two cents... Great chatting with all of you.....

Steve

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
TriCitySteve said:
Lord & Eyes,
The striker plays a shot but misses, but the ball glances off his pads and past the keeper into the outfield, a leg-bye, of course. The aggressive non-striker calls for a run, and the striker leaves his crease only to lose heart and turn back at the last minute just as the non-striker makes his ground..... Of course the throw from the outfield is brilliantly on mark, blasting apart the stumps as both batsmen simultaneously make their ground. The astute gully rushes in, shovels the ball to the bowler at the other end who strikes the wicket there. The question is, which batsman is out? The original, faint hearted striker, or the bold non-striker?
My decision, as umpire, was to give the original striker out, as he had left his ground briefly and, in my opinion, lost his right to that ground to the non-striker who was running toward it. Was I correct???
well it depends on which batsman made their ground first. it sounds like the right decision that u made(however maybe for the wrong circumstances ;)).

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Originally posted by TriCitySteve And eyes, thanks for offering umpiring advice. It's always good to have experts on hand to consult! Here's one for ya.. (this really happened in a match last year....):

Well, that's my two cents... Great chatting with all of you.....

Steve
Steve you are correct....

The original striker left his ground and therefore was out, however you also must take into consideration, who was closest to the end put down and whether the batsmen had crossed.

May make an Ump outta you yet mate ;) :P

Take care...

Eyes

Last edited:

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Eyes,
But there's the rub..... They BOTH made their ground at virtually the same instant.... at least, they both THOUGHT they made "their ground".... My question is, WHO's ground was it, the original striker's (remember, he stepped out, ran a few steps, and then retreated) or the non-striker's (who was backing up and ran like a bat out of hell to the other end)?? When the ball hit the wicket at the bowler's end, both batsmen were standing in "their" ground at the opposite end, both sure that the other one was out!!
Now, I KNOW that one of the batsmen was mostly likely a micro-second faster in making his ground, but without benefit of a third umpire, there's no way to be sure. So on one end, you have two batsmen, safely inside the crease as the ball hits the stumps, then they watch as the other wicket is broken as well, leaving ME to decide who to send off......
Is there any general rule of thumb in a situation like that (rare as it may be), such as "as long as the runners don't actually cross paths, the original striker's ground remains the same" ? If so, then I suppose I made the wrong call, since TECHNICALLY, the two paths didn't actually CROSS, but sort of merged when both reached across the crease at the same moment with their bats....

Thanks for the reply!!

Steve

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Sorry Steve...

Guess it helps to read the question correctly! :P

No there is no"Rule of thumb" under The Laws that would help in this case.

The question that this raises is "Who was closest to the end that was put down?"

If I understand what you are saying, the striker was out as the non- striker had gone back into his ground when he turn around and went back.

Clear as mud, I know but I hope it helps!!

Eyes