• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn McGrath v Imran Khan v Dennis Lillee

Who was the better bowler?

• Total voters

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL at O'Brien already getting three votes!

Between the umm..three that are actually any good, very difficult decision. Could've gone either way based on the accuracy of McGrath, ferocity of Lillee and a combination of the two in Imran. Voted Lillee.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Record v Bangladesh tilted it in his favour.

O'Brien: 2 4 48.0 13 116 7 3/34 5/57 16.57 2.41 41.1 0 0
McGrath 2 4 55.1 17 124 5 3/20 4/45 24.80 2.24 66.2 0 0
Lillee -
Imran -

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Nothing much to chose between Imran and Lillee, except that while Imran proved himself in Australia, Lillee (for perhaps lack of opportunity) never proved himself in the subcontinent.

bond21

Banned
Nothing much to chose between Imran and Lillee, except that while Imran proved himself in Australia, Lillee (for perhaps lack of opportunity) never proved himself in the subcontinent.
yea that happens when you have a grand total of ONE series in the sub continent...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i'd go for Imran tbh, not a particularly difficult choice either, though i'd struggle to split the other two.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
McGrath is the best of course.

It's close between Lillee and Imran. I'll just go Imran because he did better in virtually all series where he was against another top quality pace bowler. But it's not a strong preference and I can be convinced otherwise.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Personally, I think both Imran and Lillee are greater than McGrath. Between Imran and Lillee it's really close. I have a preference for Imran, but can see why people would chose either.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Record v Bangladesh tilted it in his favour.

O'Brien: 2 4 48.0 13 116 7 3/34 5/57 16.57 2.41 41.1 0 0
McGrath 2 4 55.1 17 124 5 3/20 4/45 24.80 2.24 66.2 0 0
Lillee -
Imran -
That Lillee and Imran never played in Bangladesh in Tests are huge holes in their records and we should reserve judgement on whether they are greats until they rectify it.

Burgey

Quite right. Likewise, Lillee's lack of matches v Zimbabwe casts a huge question mark over his position in the panthenon of quick bowlers.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That Lillee and Imran never played in Bangladesh in Tests are huge holes in their records and we should reserve judgement on whether they are greats until they rectify it.
I'll back them to take a 5 for in the next series between Bangladesh and their respective teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sad thing is, they really would have a half-decent chance of turning-up tomorrow and doing decently against said teams.

Top_Cat

Sad thing is, they really would have a half-decent chance of turning-up tomorrow and doing decently against said teams.
Please, denigrate Bangladesh as a Test side sure but that's plainly ridiculous. DKL last played in the Lilac Hill match almost 10 years ago when his son played, not to mention he's nearly 60! I wouldn't back DKL to get through a grade match these days. As for Imran, as great a bowler as he was in his pomp, he wasn't even taking regular wickets nor bowling above medium pace for the last few years of his career when he was much younger and fitter so now? Yeah right.