• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rajasthan stars consider going home

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

After all the hoopla that SA and Australian teams made about Sri Lanka and Pakistan respectively, I hope they don't make the hypocritical decision and decide to stay for the money. There are many Australians in the IPL and quite a few of the South Africans, so we'll see what happens here.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson and Warne the only Australians in Rajasthan, and neither of them were involved in the Pakistan decision.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Watson and Warne the only Australians in Rajasthan, and neither of them were involved in the Pakistan decision.
There are other Australians and South Africans in the country. And usually, the whole country is boycotted, not the city, as otherwise the tours in both Pakistan and SL would have moved ahead. Of course, no one is expecting all SA and Australians to leave, it would require too much consistency in people's behavior. I don't mind people staying for the money, but at least admit what you're doing instead of hiding behind excuses like you fell you are about to get killed while the hundreds of other cricketers who play with and against you still play without issues. If you really feel that way, now is the time to show it by leaving. I hope they do, I have called the decision to leave stupid and illogical, I don't want to have to add hypocritical on the part of the players too.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
**** you ride a high horse, SS.
Indeed.

Not to mention we've been over this before. To summarise, for my normal job I wouldn't go to Iraq, if you paid me 10 times my normal salary for a months work there, I'd be over in a heart beat. Same thing, higher compensation for the higher risk. It's not hypocrisy at all, the same fears are there, only they're willing to risk it for the extra money, like anything in life really.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed.

Not to mention we've been over this before. To summarise, for my normal job I wouldn't go to Iraq, if you paid me 10 times my normal salary for a months work there, I'd be over in a heart beat. Same thing, higher compensation for the higher risk. It's not hypocrisy at all, the same fears are there, only they're willing to risk it for the extra money, like anything in life really.
No, it is easy to show finger to the Cricket Board and not have much (monetary) repercussions, they are still going to get paid their contract money, not so if you are playing for Mallya and his ilk.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised that this is becoming an argument about foreign players.

The Indian players and their families are no less concerned.

The Royal Challengers have moved to Delhi and are begging the BCCI to change the venue of their forthcoming Jaipur game to Bangalore.

Everyone values life. The fact, that some decide to go ahead in the line of duty (sportsmen, journalists, truck drivers etc) does not mean that those who don't are wrong and cowards or that those who do are just mercenaries who care for nothing except the moolah.

People make choices as individuals based on how THEY evaluate and not to please your or my convictions of what is right or wrong. Lets get off our high horses and appreciate the concerns of those who dont want to go (my wife and elder son would never let me go) and admire the courage of those that do (my younger son and I think its okay to go).

haroon510

International 12th Man
lol i thought by now symonds and Mathew hayden must have been in Aus.. followed by warne, watson and other Aussie players.. this just disgraceful..

sirdj

State Vice-Captain

After all the hoopla that SA and Australian teams made about Sri Lanka and Pakistan respectively, I hope they don't make the hypocritical decision and decide to stay for the money. There are many Australians in the IPL and quite a few of the South Africans, so we'll see what happens here.
With all due respect, there is a world of difference between the security situation in Pakistan or the civil war in Sri Lanka and the situation in India.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am surprised that this is becoming an argument about foreign players.

The Indian players and their families are no less concerned.

The Royal Challengers have moved to Delhi and are begging the BCCI to change the venue of their forthcoming Jaipur game to Bangalore.

Everyone values life. The fact, that some decide to go ahead in the line of duty (sportsmen, journalists, truck drivers etc) does not mean that those who don't are wrong and cowards or that those who do are just mercenaries who care for nothing except the moolah.

People make choices as individuals based on how THEY evaluate and not to please your or my convictions of what is right or wrong. Lets get off our high horses and appreciate the concerns of those who dont want to go (my wife and elder son would never let me go) and admire the courage of those that do (my younger son and I think its okay to go).
.... and a bomb blast away from home scare you much more than one closer at home.

When there were bomb blasts in Mumbai, my mother cried and cried begging me to leave Mumbai and come to live with her in Jammu !!

Shee too told me, "What will you do with all the money you are trying to make if something happens". Not for a second did she pause to think that the chances of my 'going up' in a terrorist attack in Jammu was many times more than it ever could be in Mumbai.

Why blame the Aussie whether in Pakistan or India ?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw an interesting comment that maybe it was because Aussies weren't used to it, having never had terrorism back home.

I guess here in the UK we've always had the Ireland stuff and now the bombings in London. I went back into London as soon as I could after the bombings on the Tube. Matter of principle... there's no way terrorists would stop me doing that. I think that was the overwhelming feeling here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol i thought by now symonds and Mathew hayden must have been in Aus.. followed by warne, watson and other Aussie players.. this just disgraceful..
No mate, what's disgraceful is that people see fit to blow other people up. When the NZ (I think) side was adjacent to a bomb blast in SL years ago, they left didn't they?

This isn't an abstract problem to these people, they are there and living it, with their families at home on the other side of the world, in a comparatively safer place. Were I them, I think I'd be having a think about things too.

How they ultimately react to things is a matter for them.

Incidently, if a bomb (heaven forbid) went off and some Indian players were killed as a result, would it be any solace to anyone here if those responsible issued a statement saying "Sorry, we weren't targetting them, it's about politics, not cricket"? Of course it wouldn't because, whether you were the intended target or simply "collateral damage", you're just as dead.

Burgey

I saw an interesting comment that maybe it was because Aussies weren't used to it, having never had terrorism back home.

I guess here in the UK we've always had the Ireland stuff and now the bombings in London. I went back into London as soon as I could after the bombings on the Tube. Matter of principle... there's no way terrorists would stop me doing that. I think that was the overwhelming feeling here.
I'm sure that's got a lot to do with it. The closest we've come to a major terrorist bombing here was the Hilton Hotel episode in the 70s when a bomb went off outside the hotel early one morning in Sydney during a Heads of Govt meeting - killed a policeman and two garbos.

Here's a link for those interested in an oft forgotten piece of Australian history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_bombing

Burgey

Yeah, not sure - thought it was SL, apologies if it was elsewhere - I do recall they went home though, and I really can't blame them tbh.

Craig

World Traveller
Wasn't it in Pakistan? Maybe I've just got a bad memory.
Yeah, not sure - thought it was SL, apologies if it was elsewhere - I do recall they went home though, and I really can't blame them tbh.
They were in Sri Lanka and a bomb went off not far from where they were in the early 90's, IIRC it was near a bus stop and then the incident in 2002 you and Smith (DCYE) were talking about. When you consider it was 6 months after 9/11 it took a lot of balls to tour IMO.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Modi was on TV just an hour ago saying he had informed the Royals foreigners about the extra security they've got in place for them and that that's convinced them to stay.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Modi was on TV just an hour ago saying he had informed the Royals foreigners about the extra security they've got in place for them and that that's convinced them to stay.
Oh good :) I hope that turns out to be the case.

I wouldn't blame anyone for leaving, obviously people have to make a personal decision. But it would be a huge shame if terrorism disrupts cricket any more than it already has.