• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Kitply Cup (India and Pakistan in Bangladesh)

adharcric

International Coach
June 8 Bangladesh vs Pakistan at Dhaka

June 10 India vs Pakistan at Dhaka

June 12 Bangladesh vs India at Dhaka

June 14 TBC vs TBC at Dhaka

adharcric

International Coach
Basically, I felt like naming a squad. :cool:

Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma

Reserves: Robin Uthappa, Subramaniam Badrinath, Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth

masterblaster

International Captain
Basically, I felt like naming a squad. :cool:

Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma

Reserves: Robin Uthappa, Subramaniam Badrinath, Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth
Great looking squad there mate, well done. I'm loving the bowling lineup there and it's great that you've included Yusuf Pathan. Would love to see Badrinath and Praveen Kumar in the squad too.

You've pretty much picked a squad that I would've picked, so I'm wholeheartedly endorsing your selections there.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India could perhaps use this short series to try out the domestic stars brought to the public spotlight by the IPL:
- Manpreet Gony
- Pradeep Sangwan
- Ashok Dinda
- S. Badrinath
- Virat Kohli
- Amit Mishra
- Yusuf Pathan
- Shikar Dhawan

...are the sort of players I am referring to.

EDIT: I am aware that Sangwan and Kohli are perhaps a bit too young and that Kohli has not proved himself at List A level.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
India could perhaps use this short series to try out the domestic stars brought to the public spotlight by the IPL:
- Manpreet Gony
- Pradeep Sangwan
- Ashok Dinda
- S. Badrinath
- Virat Kohli
- Amit Mishra
- Yusuf Pathan
- Shikar Dhawan

Badrinath, Dhawan and Pathan most definitely. The jury is still out on Gony, Dinda and Kohli. Pradeep Sangwan is like only 18 years old and is much too young for international cricket. He definitely needs to have a few solid years of domestic cricket behind him.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
- Manpreet Gony
- Pradeep Sangwan
- Ashok Dinda
- S. Badrinath
- Virat Kohli
- Amit Mishra
- Yusuf Pathan
- Shikar Dhawan

Too early for Gony, Sangwan, Dinda and Kohli for mine.

Yusuf Pathan could be a very useful as a finisher in ODI's and Badri has been banging on the door of national selection for ages for a long time now, would love to see him given a game.

Dhawan I'm not sure about yet. He looked all at sea last night when under pressure and played a ridiculously low percentage shot to an innocuous delivery. Has talent but unless the selectors have seen him play something substantial under pressure I'm not sure he's ready for the step up.

Mishra is an interesting prospect too, he didn't too badly in his 3 games for India back in 03 but how many spinners would we be taking? I'm assuming Piyush and Powar will both be travelling would he get in ahead of them?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Badrinath, Dhawan and Pathan most definitely. The jury is still out on Gony, Dinda and Kohli. Pradeep Sangwan is like only 18 years old and is much too young for international cricket. He definitely needs to have a few solid years of domestic cricket behind him.
Sangwan is probably too young at 17, but I was just illustrating the sort of person who has proved themselves in the IPL.

adharcric

International Coach
Sangwan is probably too young at 17, but I was just illustrating the sort of person who has proved themselves in the IPL.
First of all, Sangwan hasn't proven much in the IPL. Even if he had, he hasn't done enough in domestic cricket to merit a call-up. The strong IPL form of guys like Badri and Yusuf is only significant because they've already done enough to warrant selection otherwise.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He's played a grand total of eight List A matches ...
Which is enough to show that his T20 potential translates into 50 over success, imo. I am not usually one for pushing people to international level early, but he is extremely talented (or looks so to me) and actually one out of the list who I would realistically like to see play for India in Dhaka.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
First of all, Sangwan hasn't proven much in the IPL. Even if he had, he hasn't done enough in domestic cricket to merit a call-up. The strong IPL form of guys like Badri and Yusuf is only significant because they've already done enough to warrant selection otherwise.
You've missed the point of my post, I was just saying that people who have done well in the IPL could perhaps look to debut in this series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think we need Sehwag there. Not only has he been a proven failure (or at least proven that he is mediocre) as an ODI opener but also, he will be unnecessarily taking up a spot in the batting order.

Ideally I want our top 5 to be:

Gambhir
Sachin
Rohit Sharma
Yuvraj
Dhoni

Batting any of these guys even 1 position down is not really gonna help us AFAIC. And I think we have been chopping and changing our batting order way too much recently. I really wouldn't mind this line up with may be another batsman at 6 who could be anyone amongst Uthappa, Badri, or even Abhishek Nayyar who seems really good to me...

The thing is at #6 we have to take a call on who we want. If we want a bit of a biffer, Uthappa is the obvious choice. But if we are playing Yusuf and Irfan Pathan too among our 5 bowlers (and Praveen Kumar), I wouldn't mind having someone proper in there, perhaps Nayyar because he can bowl a bit too and his technique didn't look too bad out there... And he seeems to be a gun out fielder too, which we definitely could use.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another composed knock from Badri after his side lost early wickets last night. I know the selectors are watching, but how much stock are they putting in these IPL games with regards to national selection?

Would think IPL performances alone shouldn't get you in but have to be supplemented with solid List A and FC performances?

adharcric

International Coach
Gambhir should not be asked to open right now. He's actually looked very good at 3, don't mess around. Uthappa or Sehwag there for now, I think.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gambhir should not be asked to open right now. He's actually looked very good at 3, don't mess around. Uthappa or Sehwag there for now, I think.
nope, he is an opener by trade and he opens for Delhi in every form of the game and has played almost all of his cricket as an opener. I knew he did well in Australia batting at 3 but he would have done just as well even if he had opened, IMO. Uthappa at the top is just an invitation for disaster. The guy has almost no defence worth speaking of. Sehwag, we have seen enough of his 30 off 35s, I think... I want the best 5 batsmen, both in terms of form and class, batting at the top 5 positions in our ODI side and for now, that means...

Gambhir
Sachin
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni

Then we can play whoever we want at 6 and 7 and then 4 bowlers...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I disagree that Gambhir can be a good ODI opener. His average opening in ODIs is a measly 30.56. Take out Bangladesh, Scotland and Ireland and the ODI average as opener becomes 22.61 with a strike rate of just 74.10. Considering that this has come off 22 innings, a lack of chances cannot be used as an excuse.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I disagree that Gambhir can be a good ODI opener. His average opening in ODIs is a measly 30.56. Take out Bangladesh, Scotland and Ireland and the ODI average as opener becomes 22.61 with a strike rate of just 74.10. Considering that this has come off 22 innings, a lack of chances cannot be used as an excuse.
stats...form... world of difference.