• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Kitply Cup (India and Pakistan in Bangladesh)

masterblaster

International Captain
I disagree that Gambhir can be a good ODI opener. His average opening in ODIs is a measly 30.56. Take out Bangladesh, Scotland and Ireland and the ODI average as opener becomes 22.61 with a strike rate of just 74.10. Considering that this has come off 22 innings, a lack of chances cannot be used as an excuse.
Gambhir's a much more measured and improved player to what he was in 2006. I think if given the chance to open, he'll be fine. But he's made the number 3 spot his own and I think he should stick with it.

masterblaster

International Captain
Another composed knock from Badri after his side lost early wickets last night. I know the selectors are watching, but how much stock are they putting in these IPL games with regards to national selection?

Would think IPL performances alone shouldn't get you in but have to be supplemented with solid List A and FC performances?
Would love to see him in the mix, but the selectors have never been kind to players from Tamil Nadu.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just looked here... this is a six-day, four-match tournament, straight after the IPL.

Are some people never satisfied? :mellow:

masterblaster

International Captain
Just looked here... this is a six-day, four-match tournament, straight after the IPL.

Are some people never satisfied? :mellow:
I completely agree. There's far, far too much cricket on. The only good news possibly would be that a lot of the younger players from all three sides would get the gig and the more older players would be rested and held off for important test matches.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
i think the time has come to drop Uthappa from this line-up...a good stint in the domestic circuit should bring him around.he seems to playing to the crowds.so with him being dropped we need a big hitter who can come in at no.6/7 or open if required..i am going to bite the bullet and say its going to be Suresh Raina..it was clear that he was next in the scheme of things in the CB series (had any 1 batsmen broken down or lost form think he would have got a look in..MS had tried everyone else).

So unless Dhoni gets someone new in the squad(batting), which i doubt,he may get in.The only one with a chance to make it to squad is Badri apart from the ones in Australia..the thing that bothers me about him is his age(27) not too much by any means but i would prefer Raina if we are investing for future:)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So unless Dhoni gets someone new in the squad(batting), which i doubt,he may get in.The only one with a chance to make it to squad is Badri apart from the ones in Australia..the thing that bothers me about him is his age(27) not too much by any means but i would prefer Raina if we are investing for future:)
Badri isn't too old and I think 27 is the perfect age for him to be getting the call. Knows his game and is mature enough to handle the pressures of the step up. He'd have at leat 6-7 years left in him if he can make it at that level too, so we're not exactly mortgaging the future by giving a debut to a 27 year old.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
Badri isn't too old and I think 27 is the perfect age for him to be getting the call. Knows his game and is mature enough to handle the pressures of the step up. He'd have at leat 6-7 years left in him if he can make it at that level too, so we're not exactly mortgaging the future by giving a debut to a 27 year old.
thats true and for the record, i have nothing against Badri personally just wondering if selectors and MSD will look at it from your POV:unsure:

adharcric

International Coach
nope, he is an opener by trade and he opens for Delhi in every form of the game and has played almost all of his cricket as an opener. I knew he did well in Australia batting at 3 but he would have done just as well even if he had opened, IMO. Uthappa at the top is just an invitation for disaster. The guy has almost no defence worth speaking of. Sehwag, we have seen enough of his 30 off 35s, I think... I want the best 5 batsmen, both in terms of form and class, batting at the top 5 positions in our ODI side and for now, that means...

Gambhir
Sachin
Rohit
Yuvraj
Dhoni

Then we can play whoever we want at 6 and 7 and then 4 bowlers...
Gambhir as an opener doesn't bother me too much but it's not as simple as he's opened for Delhi and done well for a long time. He hadn't really done much for India until recently and most of his recent success (I'm talking legit success at the international level, not IPL or domestic form) has come at 3. He seems comfortable at 3 now but I'm sure he'll do pretty well at the top with Sachin too. Bring in Badrinath or Raina at 5 (Dhoni down to 6) and I'm in love with that lineup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gambhir as an opener doesn't bother me too much but it's not as simple as he's opened for Delhi and done well for a long time. He hadn't really done much for India until recently and most of his recent success (I'm talking legit success at the international level, not IPL or domestic form) has come at 3. He seems comfortable at 3 now but I'm sure he'll do pretty well at the top with Sachin too. Bring in Badrinath or Raina at 5 (Dhoni down to 6) and I'm in love with that lineup.
you know, I would but I think Dhoni cannot blast away from ball one... But he has still got more hitting ability than perhaps most guys in our team. So playing him lesser than 5, esp. if the top 4 bat true to form and ability, would be almost like wasting him. I don't mind Badri or Raina or even Nayyar at 6 though.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
this is a good chance to give opportunities to some more new players.
so this could be a good team:-

1.M.S.Dhoni (c)
2.S.Tendulkar
3.Y.Singh (vc)
4.G.Gambhir
5.V.Sehwag
6.R.Uthappa
7.Y.Pathan
8.I.Pathan
9.V.Kohli
10.R.Sharma
11.P.Chawla
12.A.Mishra
13.P.Kumar
14.Z.Khan
15.S.Sreesanth
16.I.Sharma/R.P.Singh

Lambu

U19 Debutant
this is a good chance to give opportunities to some more new players.
so this could be a good team:-

9.V.Kohli
He has a long long way to go before he gets nywhere near the Indian ODI outfit...i know India recently beat the the Aussies with a young team,but this is really pushing it to the limits..one should not get carried away:)

itduzz

Banned
this team will eat up everything in their way

Butt
Jamshed
Younis
Yousuf
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Akmal
Tanvir
Gul
Riaz/Asif

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
He has a long long way to go before he gets nywhere near the Indian ODI outfit...i know India recently beat the the Aussies with a young team,but this is really pushing it to the limits..one should not get carried away:)
the skills he had shown in u19 world cup,,,(more over his captaincy)

and ipl.............

he surely deserves a place later or sooner.........

and he has also played forst class cricket too........:)

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Basically, I felt like naming a squad. :cool:

Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Irfan Pathan, Yusuf Pathan, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma

Reserves: Robin Uthappa, Subramaniam Badrinath, Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth
Kumar as a reserve? He did well in Australia, but I read somewhere that they only selected him so that he would not defer to the ICL, does anyone know more about this?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
You've missed the point of my post, I was just saying that people who have done well in the IPL could perhaps look to debut in this series.
Is this just for the sake of blooding new players or do you think Gony is better than Pathan, Sree and co?