• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar slower balls

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi,

Quick question from me. What method does Shoaib Akhtar use to bowl his slower balls here?

Thanks

Manee

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His slower balls were so awesome when the English batsmen would think the ball is coming at the head as a beamer and try and avoid it, and then it slowly hits them on the pad or bat and they are out LBW or caught and bowled.

Shoaib was so awesome in that series.

In answer to the question of the thread... no idea. Looks sort of like an off-break action.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
haha Jones getting one of the worst LBWs Ive seen.

They look like pretty normal 'rolled' off spinners. Where the wrist breaks and the hand goes from vertical to horizontal.

They are well bowled and his extreme pace helps.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha yeah that Jones one was horrible... obviously off one of Shoaib's quicker deliveries.

Those slower balls from Shoaib are/were such a good tactic on a flat track such as those that were served up in the 2005 Pak v Eng series.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
haha Jones getting one of the worst LBWs Ive seen.

They look like pretty normal 'rolled' off spinners. Where the wrist breaks and the hand goes from vertical to horizontal.

They are well bowled and his extreme pace helps.
Thanks, mate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jones should already have been out lbw 1st ball, though, so no worries with that. Well, actually there were - Kaneria was denied a hattrick.

Yeah they were some superb slower-balls that series - some flat, some flighted. Never mind the ones that looked like they were going to be Beamers - there was one at Ian Bell that actually was a Beamer - completely got it wrong.

As Kev said - it was stock-standard Off-Break. He's always bowled a good slower-ball and when your stock is up to 95mph that's a damn effective change-up, going down 20mph or so.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He has always bowled a good slower ball but I thought he totally changed it during this series!! Usually it was a plain off break..but I think these ones are a bit different...they are off break but I think he totally removes the thumb from behind the ball just before release and then gives it a push...just my theory though...judging by the loop..and how batsman lose the ball in the air!

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
His slower balls were so awesome when the English batsmen would think the ball is coming at the head as a beamer and try and avoid it, and then it slowly hits them on the pad or bat and they are out LBW or caught and bowled.

Shoaib was so awesome in that series.

In answer to the question of the thread... no idea. Looks sort of like an off-break action.
AWTA.