Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar

Hussain vs Atherton vs Fleming as Test Batsmen

Yup, yet another poll................

Couldn't resist this one.

AS TEST BATSMEN

Nasser Hussain Inns 171 NO16 Runs 5764 HS 207 Ave 37.18 100s 14 50s 33

Michael Atherton Inns 212 NO 7 Runs 7728 HS 185* Ave 37.69 100s 16 50s 46

Stephen Fleming Inns 189 NO 10 Runs 7172 HS 274* Ave 40.06 100s 9 50s 46

All have similar test records. Fleming the slightly better average, most double centuries but worst conversion to hundreds. While Hussain and Atherton have almost indentical records per innings although Nasser has been not out on more occasions.

IMO Fleming was the most attractive to watch in full-flight with Nasser not being too far behind and Atherton's cover drive still remaining memorable.

However of the three I've gone for Atherton based on the fact he faced consistently stronger bowling attacks yet still managed to consistently see off the newball for his team. For me he was a true test batsmen albiet a slow one.

My order

1) Atherton
    2) Fleming
    3) Nasser
    Last edited by Zinzan; 12-05-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Athers.

Fleming was the most talented of the three though IMO.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Atherton undoubtedly a class above the other two IMO, provided only times when he is fit are considered.

Hussain vs Fleming is a damn tough one. Fleming of course is a natural batsman, Hussain was 15 or 16 years old before he that really became his strongest suit.

I'd probably go Hussain, because I think his ability to make runs on green pitches outdoes Fleming's. Fleming is far from incapable, but I generally tend to reckon what Fleming was particularly good at was making really, really big scores when the going was easy. While this too is a very admirable trait when coupled with some skill on difficult wickets, Fleming made too many low scores, especially later on in his career.

On the other hand, a nightmare year like Hussain's 2000 was something Fleming never looked like having. That has to count for something. Also, Fleming's continuous career spanned a fair bit longer (1994-2007/08 as opposed to 1996-2004, though the respective schedules means his match advantage is not huge).

Fleming cashed-in on Bangladesh a little more than did Hussain (Hussain did well, Fleming very well), but Fleming was several times handicapped by being forced to open. I tend to exclude innings as an opener when assessing Fleming. Hussain all career after he became a fixture batted either three or four (apart from I think just a single occasion when he was injured and another when he was demoted in a run-chase).

It really is a tough one, that. As I say - I'd probably go Hussain, but like in the Gooch-vs-Crowe instance, it'd probably be different if I was a Kiwi. Both have a very fair case.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-05-2008 at 02:58 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Obviously Atherton.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    It depends what you want. Green pitch=Atherton. Spinning pitch=Fleming. Beating Hayden=Hussain.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Atherton undoubtedly a class above the other two IMO, provided only times when he is fit are considered.

Hussain vs Fleming is a damn tough one. Fleming of course is a natural batsman, Hussain was 15 or 16 years old before he that really became his strongest suit.

I'd probably go Hussain, because I think his ability to make runs on green pitches outdoes Fleming's. Fleming is far from incapable, but I generally tend to reckon what Fleming was particularly good at was making really, really big scores when the going was easy. While this too is a very admirable trait when coupled with some skill on difficult wickets, Fleming made too many low scores, especially later on in his career.

On the other hand, a nightmare year like Hussain's 2000 was something Fleming never looked like having. That has to count for something. Also, Fleming's continuous career spanned a fair bit longer (1994-2007/08 as opposed to 1996-2004, though the respective schedules means his match advantage is not huge).

Fleming cashed-in on Bangladesh a little more than did Hussain (Hussain did well, Fleming very well), but Fleming was several times handicapped by being forced to open. I tend to exclude innings as an opener when assessing Fleming. Hussain all career after he became a fixture batted either three or four (apart from I think just a single occasion when he was injured and another when he was demoted in a run-chase).

It really is a tough one, that. As I say - I'd probably go Hussain, but like in the Gooch-vs-Crowe instance, it'd probably be different if I was a Kiwi. Both have a very fair case.
    Was it a bad back? Or mental instability caused by McGrath?
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Banned
    Why didnt you put Hayden as the joke 4th option? because hes clearly better than all 3 combined

atherton would be the best among these three, followed by fleming and hussain in that order...

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    Why didnt you put Hayden as the joke 4th option? because hes clearly better than all 3 combined
    How can 1 player be better than 3 combined? What do you mean by that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    How can 1 player be better than 3 combined? What do you mean by that?
    All 3 bat side by side, but only have one brain, so they don't have conflicts of interest I'd presume.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by James_W View Post
    All 3 bat side by side, but only have one brain, so they don't have conflicts of interest I'd presume.

I don't understand.

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James_W View Post
    What's your MSN d00d?

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I heard that some kid called Bond21 is already a better bowler than Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose and Richie Benaud combined!!!! Plus he has the arrogance of Prince Naseem Hamed and the supreme wit of Oscar Wilde.

In short, Bond21 is a renaissance man. Which in part explains why he has the physique and good looks of Danny de Vito.

And all the charm of a clogged Eastern Bloc border toilet infested with rats.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    What a ridiculous question?

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I heard that some kid called Bond21 is already a better bowler than Malcolm Marshall, Curtley Ambrose and Richie Benaud combined!!!! Plus he has the arrogance of Prince Naseem Hamed and the supreme wit of Oscar Wilde.

In short, Bond21 is a renaissance man. Which in part explains why he has the physique and good looks of Danny de Vito.

And all the charm of a clogged Eastern Bloc border toilet infested with rats.
    You know...I heard that too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information