19 55.88%
  • Stephen Fleming

12 35.29%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hussain vs Atherton vs Fleming as Test Batsmen

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Why do people need to be so mean? Fleming isn't mediocre.
    No he isn't but he is clearly more gifted naturally than his actual performances reflect.

I suspect it has a lot to do with relying purely on his natural ability (great hands for example) do everything for him. I have always suspected that Fleming has not sat down and reflected on the deficiencies in his batting and gone about trying to reduce them in a methodical manner.

I could be completely wrong in this but it really looks like that when one sees him bat so beautifully when things go well for him and so badly when they dont.

A bit of VVS Laxman (only as far as this trait of not correcting that I mention) in Fleming ?

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    No he isn't but he is clearly more gifted naturally than his actual performances reflect.

I suspect it has a lot to do with relying purely on his natural ability (great hands for example) do everything for him. I have always suspected that Fleming has not sat down and reflected on the deficiencies in his batting and gone about trying to reduce them in a methodical manner.

I could be completely wrong in this but it really looks like that when one sees him bat so beautifully when things go well for him and so badly when they dont.

A bit of VVS Laxman (only as far as this trait of not correcting that I mention) in Fleming ?
    He remodelled his technique in the early 00s and I tried to do a stats look up to see the results. Very vague date (01/01/01 I think) and since then he averages 45.

Fleming comes across as very fussy about technique in his book but I think his technique is far better for spin so batting at four of five would have been best but unfortunately due to a lack of a number three and too many 4/5s we haven't had that luxury.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He remodelled his technique in the early 00s and I tried to do a stats look up to see the results. Very vague date (01/01/01 I think) and since then he averages 45.

Fleming comes across as very fussy about technique in his book but I think his technique is far better for spin so batting at four of five would have been best but unfortunately due to a lack of a number three and too many 4/5s we haven't had that luxury.
    He has a big problem with footwork to begin with. Again a reason why I tend to compare him with Laxman.

I am not sure he is very comfortable defending of the backfoot. Again something he has in common with Laxman.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm interested in the psychology which you've used to concoct the idea that Atherton had mental weakness when facing McGrath here. The only time he ever said he felt "down" before facing him was in his very last innings in Test cricket.
    I don't actually think he had a mental weakness (in fact, wasn't he one of the players Australia didn't sledge because it made him play better?). My suggestion was more a joke suggesting McGrath's dominance of him over the years may have induced some from of mental condition. McGrath was simply the sort of bowler who caused him nightmares.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information