• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain vs Atherton vs Fleming as Test Batsmen

Best Test Batsmen. Hussain vs Atherton vs Fleming

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much. Personally, though, I never saw Atherton unduly troubled by spin-bowling which I did not think would trouble most or all right-handed batsmen. This makes him a bit better than decent-at-best, to me.
I always thought Warne had the better of him fairly well, while Hussein played Warne better than most, and probably better than any other English player, and I really don't rate Hussein at all as a batsman so that's saying a fair bit. Fleming played Warne as well as anyone other than Tendulkar. I think it's a fairly clear cut call.

Atherton, while not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, was comfortably the best of the three against pace bowling, as long as your name wasn't McGrath.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interestingly, after Atherton's first 13 Tests against Warne-inclusive Australia (only the last 3 of which included a Test-class McGrath) he averaged 42.33. Only later on (when McGrath dismissed him 11 times out of 18 innings) did he struggle against Australia, and Warne got him just 4 times.

I never thought Warne caused him any more problems than he caused most batsmen, and being such a good bowler Warne tended to trouble all but the very best. Yes, Fleming played him better still, but I don't think there's really all that much in it.

BTW, is it really much to ask - and this applies to many others besides yourself - that you spell Nasser Hussain's name correctly?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why do people need to be so mean? Fleming isn't mediocre.:cry:
No he isn't but he is clearly more gifted naturally than his actual performances reflect.

I suspect it has a lot to do with relying purely on his natural ability (great hands for example) do everything for him. I have always suspected that Fleming has not sat down and reflected on the deficiencies in his batting and gone about trying to reduce them in a methodical manner.

I could be completely wrong in this but it really looks like that when one sees him bat so beautifully when things go well for him and so badly when they dont.

A bit of VVS Laxman (only as far as this trait of not correcting that I mention) in Fleming ?

Flem274*

123/5
No he isn't but he is clearly more gifted naturally than his actual performances reflect.

I suspect it has a lot to do with relying purely on his natural ability (great hands for example) do everything for him. I have always suspected that Fleming has not sat down and reflected on the deficiencies in his batting and gone about trying to reduce them in a methodical manner.

I could be completely wrong in this but it really looks like that when one sees him bat so beautifully when things go well for him and so badly when they dont.

A bit of VVS Laxman (only as far as this trait of not correcting that I mention) in Fleming ?
He remodelled his technique in the early 00s and I tried to do a stats look up to see the results. Very vague date (01/01/01 I think) and since then he averages 45.

Fleming comes across as very fussy about technique in his book but I think his technique is far better for spin so batting at four of five would have been best but unfortunately due to a lack of a number three and too many 4/5s we haven't had that luxury.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He remodelled his technique in the early 00s and I tried to do a stats look up to see the results. Very vague date (01/01/01 I think) and since then he averages 45.

Fleming comes across as very fussy about technique in his book but I think his technique is far better for spin so batting at four of five would have been best but unfortunately due to a lack of a number three and too many 4/5s we haven't had that luxury.
He has a big problem with footwork to begin with. Again a reason why I tend to compare him with Laxman.

I am not sure he is very comfortable defending of the backfoot. Again something he has in common with Laxman.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm interested in the psychology which you've used to concoct the idea that Atherton had mental weakness when facing McGrath here. The only time he ever said he felt "down" before facing him was in his very last innings in Test cricket.
I don't actually think he had a mental weakness (in fact, wasn't he one of the players Australia didn't sledge because it made him play better?). My suggestion was more a joke suggesting McGrath's dominance of him over the years may have induced some from of mental condition. McGrath was simply the sort of bowler who caused him nightmares.