• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Hopes v/s Shane Watson

Who's the better Aussie all-rounder?

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's see how this goes. One has a lot of potential with both bat and ball, but has often been laid low by injury, until now. The other isn't any good, but seems to serve his purpose of six-hitter and steady seam-up bowler quite well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Watson obviously easily the better batsman, probably in both game-forms. And probably the bowler with the more potential, though it's astonished me how effective Hopes has been in domestic-OD cricket all career and recently (in a different way) in ODIs.

Who's better? Watson. Who currently has the best case for ODI selection? Hopes.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopes is the better allrounder imo. Watson hands down is better with the bat, definitely at the first class level. Watson's bowling isn't that great, whereas Hopes does more than enough in the role. Hopes imo is definitely the better one day player, but Watson easily the better first class player. Would pick both in my one day side, but Watson would get the gin in first class.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Hopes is the better allrounder imo. Watson hands down is better with the bat, definitely at the first class level. Watson's bowling isn't that great, whereas Hopes does more than enough in the role. Hopes imo is definitely the better one day player, but Watson easily the better first class player. Would pick both in my one day side, but Watson would get the gin in first class.
Watson probably (for his career) let go off the leather and just bat. Though I think Watson is a better bowler than Hopes. I don't think Hopes will ever play Tests, but ATM he is better than Watson in the colours and in no way should he displaced by Watson.

Simply put, Watson should be the better player and has more potential, but Hopes is punching above his weight (defientely in ODIs) and is better than Watson.

(I've confused my self too)

bond21

Banned
Watson is a better batsman and more of a strike bowler than Hopes, but he does tend to go for more runs than Hopes.

Hopes is a containing bowler, thats why hes so valuable in the ODIs.

If I could only pick one, Id pick Watson

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopes is tremendously underrated, but I think that Watson is the superior all rounder.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prediction:

Watson to do in 09 Ashes for Aussie what Flintoff did in 05 for the to and froms.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Watson has next to no chance of ever bowling as well as Flintoff did in that series IMO, though I'm fairly confident that given a lack of misfortune continuation he'll do more of note in his career as a batsman.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Prediction:

Watson to do in 09 Ashes for Aussie what Flintoff did in 05 for the to and froms.
Interesting prediction. Whilst I wouldn't go as far, I'd certainly say that Watson is certainly the overall superior player.
Hopes is a bits-and-pieces player, but he's damn good at it. He's like a more internationally-effective Ian Harvey - he bats, he bowls, and he fields well, but doesnt stand out.
Perhaps, though, thats what makes him of most value.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Current T20 form has Watto clearly above Hopes with bat and ball, that's all I can say for sure.

I thought Watto hitting Hopes for six with half a bat was quite hilarious. Their next match up will be really interesting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson has next to no chance of ever bowling as well as Flintoff did in that series IMO, though I'm fairly confident that given a lack of misfortune continuation he'll do more of note in his career as a batsman.
I think he'll take valuable wickets at important times. I'm not basing this on anything I've seen that suggests he's just developed some unplayable ball. It's a crazy feeling i've got that he's gonna do something special in that series.
I know it's a bold prediction but I think, given the horror run he's had with injuries, the Gods will grant him an imperious purple patch. Given the problems he's had, and despite the fact he's a Qlder, I think he deserves it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't doubt his ability to take important wickets at important times, not at all. But Flintoff did so much more than that in the last four Tests in 2005. So, so much more.

As I say - few bowlers ever have a series that good, never mind bowlers who can also bat as well as he did those four Tests.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Who is the better cricketer? Watson
Who is better suited to the role that the all-rounder has to occupy in the Australian ODI set-up at this time? Probably Hopes.

Flem274*

123/5
This poll is like comparing Flintoff to Irani or Cairns to Adams. The genuine and not to mention brilliant allrounder easily dispatches the bits and pieces player.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not much of a fan of Hopes but you can't really deny his recent ODI performances. On the same token, Watson has been pretty consistently good in all forms of cricket when he's been fit in the last couple of seasons. He had a really good, consistent year in ODIs before his last run of injuries, and took his batting to another level in the World Cup, before another injury issue.

I love watching Watson play, but aside from that I think he'll be an excellent player if he can ever put his injury problems behind him. He could be a Jason Gillespie, or he could be a Shane Bond (in the recovery from a run of injuries sense, not as a bowler). The question is not one of talent but one of fitness, IMO.

bond21

Banned
I think he'll take valuable wickets at important times. I'm not basing this on anything I've seen that suggests he's just developed some unplayable ball. It's a crazy feeling i've got that he's gonna do something special in that series.
I know it's a bold prediction but I think, given the horror run he's had with injuries, the Gods will grant him an imperious purple patch. Given the problems he's had, and despite the fact he's a Qlder, I think he deserves it.
someone is still sour about origin lol