• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cute!! Batting super-stars of tomorrow !!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, unbelievable.

As pointed-out in the Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid thread, such things aren't neccessarily any pointer whatsoever as at such a young age little means anything.

But even so - I barely remember so much as a single event of my life at 3 years of age - never mind being able to hold a bat as skillfully as that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, unbelievable.

As pointed-out in the Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid thread, such things aren't neccessarily any pointer whatsoever as at such a young age little means anything.

But even so - I barely remember so much as a single event of my life at 3 years of age - never mind being able to hold a bat as skillfully as that.
I am amazed that not only has someone taught him the basics of the game in such an orthodox correct manner but that the young man has imbibed it. Thats difficult for the orthodox grip is very awkward initially for everyone and so much so that today most coaches give it short shrift.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bah, no short ones. This kid = over-rated.
No one has rated him TC. Just look again, the word I have used for him is 'cute'. Of course, he is not a great star of the future or anything like that on the basis of that video but he is amazing in how he has followed whatever he has been taught.

By the way, when I was first coached at 15, I dont remember my coach touching how to play short pitched bowling for at least 3-4 months !! So intent was he on ensuring that I got the grip, the stance, the forward movement, the shoulders, elbow, leaning into the shot, tow pointing to the off, transfer of weight etc etc correct.

He did it by not letting me face proper bowling through out this period but just chucked the ball at me from 15 yards till I got all that hammered into me and my grip, stance, backlift etc became second nature.

Maybe his father doesn't know backfoot play as well as he knows frontfoot or maybe he doesnt want to start that yet. Maybe the child is not playing that well enough to be posted on the net :)

I also saw another video of a 5 year old child, might be Australian I think (from the unorthodox grip), who was also bowled some short ones.

Here

sideshowtim

Banned
His first chance average took a severe beating after he hit the first ball straight back in the air to the bowler. I stopped watching after that as it means nothing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I find it verging on sickening but I have my own opinions on how to raise kids and how to coach. Im not saying this is wrong, just against my beliefs.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one has rated him TC. Just look again, the word I have used for him is 'cute'. Of course, he is not a great star of the future or anything like that on the basis of that video but he is amazing in how he has followed whatever he has been taught.

By the way, when I was first coached at 15, I dont remember my coach touching how to play short pitched bowling for at least 3-4 months !! So intent was he on ensuring that I got the grip, the stance, the forward movement, the shoulders, elbow, leaning into the shot, tow pointing to the off, transfer of weight etc etc correct.

He did it by not letting me face proper bowling through out this period but just chucked the ball at me from 15 yards till I got all that hammered into me and my grip, stance, backlift etc became second nature.

Maybe his father doesn't know backfoot play as well as he knows frontfoot or maybe he doesnt want to start that yet. Maybe the child is not playing that well enough to be posted on the net :)

I also saw another video of a 5 year old child, might be Australian I think (from the unorthodox grip), who was also bowled some short ones.

Here
Sarcasm is so hard to convey over the net. ;)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
:euro: I've been waiting for a chance to use this smiley but none has been forthcoming so I'll put it here for no reason whatsoever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Some people take it so seriously (not referring to the sarcastic comments in this thread obviously, some of which are :lol: (Voltman)).

Just accept that its cute watching a 3 year old hit the ball like that. Its not like his parents have him locked up in a basement and whip him if he doesn't use his feet FFS.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some people take it so seriously (not referring to the sarcastic comments in this thread obviously, some of which are :lol: (Voltman)).

Just accept that its cute watching a 3 year old hit the ball like that. Its not like his parents have him locked up in a basement and whip him if he doesn't use his feet FFS.
I wouldn't rule it out. That all-concrete room is creepy as hell.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't rule it out. That all-concrete room is creepy as hell.
Actually this kid has another video on youtube, an older one, which is clearly taken at home as one can see the furniture. I think they must have liked the reponse to the first video they posted and decided to go to a bigger place where they could let him play with more freedom.

That place looks like a commercial building under construction. There are zillions of them in India today with construction activity in a seemingly unending boom for last 10 years or so.

The concrete is fine. Its by far the best surface for a youngster to learn the basics if batting.
Because you want the surface to be very true so that he can practice what has been taught with fear of going wrong due to unexpected deviation.

Its very interesting in this regard to read Faulkner's short book on cricket coaching. Its not a manual but rather an instruction book for coaches written in 1926 !!

Faulkner opened what was probably the first proper cricket schools in London. It was so popular that coaches from all over used to write to him asking for his technical inputs. Then he decided to put this book together.

He writes in one place , and I quote ...

"I am convinced that many a promising boy cricketer is ruined through his having to play on bad practice wickets. ...

"I believe therefore, that every preparatory school should posses either a concrete or an asphalt practice wicket. ...

"That such wickets are beneficial goes without saying with anyone who has relied on them for coaching. Their accuracy and pace makes them admirable in helping to instil the much-desired confidence in boys..."​