• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is better, Gooch or Martin Crowe??

Who was better?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
FFS, I'm not claiming he's anywhere near as good as Bradman, Headley etc. but he's clearly the best Sri Lankan batsman to retire from Test cricket as of this post.
Calm down. I wasn't suggesting that you were comparing them, just commenting that i think you overate de Silva.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well based on that I was assuming by the list of players, that you were suggesting de Silva is better than Sangakkara, which I think is overating de Silva or underating Sangakkara.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I simply think that with Sangakkara's career still in motion, he will have to wait to be considered Sri Lanka's greatest-yet batsman.

I have little doubt he will be one day. Admittedly this issue could be clouded by the fact I included Tendulkar in my previous post, for which I should've thought better of.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Calm down. I wasn't suggesting that you were comparing them, just commenting that i think you overate de Silva.
Its bound to appear like that since most people tend to under-rate this master batsman as we do for many of the 'less-glamourous' stars of modern cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no doubt in my mind that Aravinda could've been so much better than he ended-up being. But it was never going to happen. He was too laid-back, too happy that he was good and wasn't as interested as he needed to be in being very, very good.

He really was in so many ways a lesser Vivian Richards. Aravinda could have averaged 50 or 55 in Tests; Richards could have averaged 70. But neither of them were ever going to happen because for all the skills they had they did not possess the Bradmanesque mindset.

funnygirl

State Regular
Aravinda De silva is underrated ? The man is known as Viv Richards of Asia simply because the way he treated some of the finest quicks of his time .

As for the topic ,i prefer Martin Crowe .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Aravinda De silva is underrated ? The man is known as Viv Richards of Asia simply because the way he treated some of the finest quicks of his time .

As for the topic ,i prefer Martin Crowe .
By many - including on this board. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A product, for my money, of the fact that Sri Lankan cricket was rarely televised Worldwide until very recently. Most non-Lankans would have seen de Silva bat only against their own team (and of course there are not a few on here too young even to rememer him at all - I myself only caught the relative tail-end of his career and I'm now depressingly "senior" on this place at 22) and such players with only middling banal career records do tend to be little-known.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, fair credit to them. Never realised Crowe was that good. Always would think that Gooch was better, but this opens it up. ITSTL...

thierry henry

International Coach
wow, that's interesting

Before 1985 and from the start of 1995 onwards, Crowe played 22 tests and only averaged 22

In the decade in between he had the best average in world cricket

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wow, that's interesting

Before 1985 and from the start of 1995 onwards, Crowe played 22 tests and only averaged 22

In the decade in between he had the best average in world cricket
Haha, that's right. Combination of being selected too early against Lillee, Thomson & co as a 19 y/o & then playing practically on one knee in the last year or so of his career.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Technically, Crowe was the best player that I'd ever seen until Kallis came along PLUS he played with horrific injuries PLUS he played on seamer-friendly tracks in NZ PLUS Gooch was sorted out by Alderman

So it's Crowe for me but Gooch was a mighty fine player