View Poll Results: Will ODI cricket die?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 37.70%
  • No

38 62.30%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will ODI's die a slow death?

Will ODI's die a slow death?

To see what I am referring to, look at Brumby's sig who has Shane Bond quoted there saying ODI cricket will eventually die. Or will it still have a place in the game for man years to come? I know people like Richard would rather watch paint dry then watch a T20 match, but at least IMO it doesn't pretend to be anything it is not, it isn't Test cricket, so doesn't pretend to be, and if you like it you do, if you don't, well you don't.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

I hope not.

If it does, when will New Zealand play any cricket?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

It's funny to hate ODI cricket yet it was invented to stop Test cricket from dying as it nearly did in England in the 50's (and 60's I think) as football (soccer) was getting more and more popular.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It's funny to hate ODI cricket yet it was invented to stop Test cricket from dying as it nearly did in England in the 50's (and 60's I think) as football (soccer) was getting more and more popular.
    You can hate the format while acknowledging its necessity. Even now, most of the cash comes from ODIs, and its used to finance Test cricket. So I understand its existance, but that doesn't mean I like it. However, now that there is a superior format to ODIs which also has the potential to generate income, I would like the ODI format to die. I don't like T20s either, but having both is too much and if I had to choose one, I'd choose T20.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    However, now that there is a superior format to ODIs
    DWTA

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I hope not.

This is not a superior format ...... definitely not with 60 to 65 meter boundaries. For it to be a better format, the least we need is for better skills to be better rewarded. If edges are going to go for sixes I do not see how this can be called a better format.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I do have some problem with it being reduced to a 20 overs contest but I have a much bigger issue with poor shots resulting in runs on a REGULAR basis. Where is the incentive for a batsman to improve his batting skills if he finds that every time he tries to whack a ball out of the ground he is getting caught somewhere or the other around the field.

Where is someone to tell Uthappa that his batting in the tournament so far has been much much worse than his statistics show. Its even worse that the media is not able to point it out too and the spectators at the ground dont care anyway.

Can someone explain to me how:
    a) ODI cricket pretends to be test cricket
    b) a format that has been going on for 40+ years has only NOW suddenly become boring and something that pretends to be test cricket?

These calls didn't exist in 1999. And the argument that NOW T20 has arrived ODI cricket isn't needed is fine, but this bitching about ODI cricket came before T20 became popular.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

ODI cricket is so much better than T20 that it's not funny. I really hope it doesn't die out, there is still certainly a place for it in our game.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    ODI cricket is so much better than T20 that it's not funny. I really hope it doesn't die out, there is still certainly a place for it in our game.
    Yeah, ODI cricket has a whole range of merits that 20/20 cricket doesn't have, and I don't feel that it "pretends" to be anything. I can't see ODI cricket dying out while there's a continued market for it, and I certainly think there is, given that just about every cricket fan I know loathes 20/20, myself included.

If any form of the game is at risk, it's unfortunately test cricket.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    There is still a place for ODI cricket, much rather a 50-over World Cup, then a the Twenty20 World Championship. But really hope we see the end of pointless OD only tours, seven match series and even tri series (especially really long ones like the CB series). If ODIs are kept to just a 2-3 games a tour then I think cricket will be better off.

But the sad fact is that Test cricket brings no money to cricket. Apart from Ashes series and now Border/Gavaskar most Test series countries loss money holding them. With this in mind we probably more likely to see more 2-Test series, 7 ODIs and 5 Twenty20. Now that is what your call dire.

Personally though I think if you reduced ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, more people will go watch Test cricket. The problem is with Test cricket is not the format, it excess of International. Your average cricket fan just wants to see the national team play, but with so many ODIs, it is easier to watch them over a Test match. If there was a limit to ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals. I think you will find there will be more people watching Test Cricket.

Really the ICC need to make a hard decision here and cut the number of ODIs, or Test cricket might be the one that dies a slow death. There isn't enough time for all three formats, plus cash based domestic competitions.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

OD only tours only ever occur when there is a need for a split tour...For instance, Australia played a 7 match ODI series in India last season because they wouldn't be able to fit it into the tour later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    There is still a place for ODI cricket, much rather a 50-over World Cup, then a the Twenty20 World Championship. But really hope we see the end of pointless OD only tours, seven match series and even tri series (especially really long ones like the CB series). If ODIs are kept to just a 2-3 games a tour then I think cricket will be better off.

But the sad fact is that Test cricket brings no money to cricket. Apart from Ashes series and now Border/Gavaskar most Test series countries loss money holding them. With this in mind we probably more likely to see more 2-Test series, 7 ODIs and 5 Twenty20. Now that is what your call dire.

Personally though I think if you reduced ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, more people will go watch Test cricket. The problem is with Test cricket is not the format, it excess of International. Your average cricket fan just wants to see the national team play, but with so many ODIs, it is easier to watch them over a Test match. If there was a limit to ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals. I think you will find there will be more people watching Test Cricket.

Really the ICC need to make a hard decision here and cut the number of ODIs, or Test cricket might be the one that dies a slow death. There isn't enough time for all three formats, plus cash based domestic competitions.
    Or really any team that plays against India for mine. England and India would be a biggie as well as is England and South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    OD only tours only ever occur when there is a need for a split tour...For instance, Australia played a 7 match ODI series in India last season because they wouldn't be able to fit it into the tour later this year.
    Or if you tour Zimbabwe.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information