• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will ODI's die a slow death?

Will ODI cricket die?

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
so at least we can at least agree that t20 will get people into cricket at 1st then may be odi then test...

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
you have got it backwards.Its the shorter forms of the games that is generating all the money(both T-20 and ODIs).Test cricket is the one which needs money to be "pumped in" and thats not a bad thing if all 3 formats have to survive.
Where do they get this £5 million prize fund for the 20twenty from then??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
[*]It's over faster: limited overs cricket should end as quickly as possible to prevent people who like real cricket from committing Seppuku.
If that's a danger, simply ignore such games completely. As I do with Twenty20.
[*]You can have large competitions like WC in a shorter amount of time instead of taking up months
Long competitions are good when they're well-matched and well-executed.
[*]I like seeing one side always being aggressive. It is possible for two teams to knock it around for hours in an ODI and both sides come out of it happy, which is not on.
The idea of a game where both sides are always aggressive is something I hate with a passion, hence I hate Twenty20. There must always be a balance between attack and defence for me to enjoy a game. Both sides can be attacking; both sides can be defensive; but if it's just the same all through the game, it has no appeal. The balance has to shift, and the more it shifts the better in fact.
[*]ODI doesn't know what it is, it pretends to be real cricket while being as far away as possible from it. At least T20 is what it is: a bit of hit and giggle
Game-forms are not intelligent beings. They do know know, pretend or anything of that sort.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so at least we can at least agree that t20 will get people into cricket at 1st then may be odi then test...
No, not really. The odd few people might do that, but most Twenty20 fans will never, ever be cricket fans. Likewise, a good few fans of the one-day game will never be cricket fans. At least there's less of them though.

BeeGee

International Captain
I admire you for replying to a post that's five years old, that was made by guy who's long gone from cricket web. Futile, but admirable.

Mind you, from what I've read, arguing with Richard was futile even when he was here.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
People complain that ODIs are too long because they have "boring bit in the middle of the innings", and that T20 is a cricketing farce. Therefore, IMO it makes sense to settle for something inbetween - 40 overs.

So I was wondering how the English public have received the ECB40 competition? If the response has been positive (good cricket, good entertainment) then 40 overs could replace both T20 and ODIs.

Yorkshire Bank 40 Format | County Cricket

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think most people just want it to be 50 overs because that's what the internationals are. Don't think it's really that different. Personally I prefer 50 overs, but I don't really dislike "the boring middle overs" part, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm an anomaly.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think most people just want it to be 50 overs because that's what the internationals are. Don't think it's really that different. Personally I prefer 50 overs, but I don't really dislike "the boring middle overs" part, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm an anomaly.
I'm the same.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
t20 internationals (bar the t20 WC) need to be abolished in order for ODIs to survive, the t20 format can become like soccer, a good club (in this case domestic) system to provide good entertainment, while every now and again the internationals get together and play. 40 overs is also a good idea, 3 ODIs per tour might also be an idea, and tri-series' should make a triumphant return, they are really exciting and can turn quickly, they may help revive ODI cricket.

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
I don't think so at all. I like ODIs - I think they play a great role in that a whole match can be watched in a day, but you're watching a better standard of cricket than T20.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Play it with white cloth and red ball. Can have collars and sleeves in color if you want. Bring back controlled swing, spin and reverse swing to the game. Power plays are OK, as well as maximum of 4 outside the 30 yard ring. But for last ten overs make it five, and ask flowing drives to split gaps.