• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the better test batsman Sunil Gavaskar or Sachin Tendulkar ?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
May I suggest we have the prior one-on-ones run their course before starting new ones ?

Perhaps allow a week or so, if only to ensure full discussion. Thanks, :)

archie mac

International Coach
I think Sachin just has that little bit of genius, where as Sunny seemed (to me) a bit more of a 'made' batsman

Still I don't know if that should mean Sachin should be rated higher?

If there was a poll I would vote SRT, but only by a little:)

funnygirl

State Regular
I think Sachin just has that little bit of genius, where as Sunny seemed (to me) a bit more of a 'made' batsman

Still I don't know if that should mean Sachin should be rated higher?

If there was a poll I would vote SRT, but only by a little:)
Do u think that a '' made batsman '' would have the courage to wear a regular cap against the most fearsome fast bowles ever .

funnygirl

State Regular
Yes. I am not sure of your point?:unsure:
Sunny was more than ''just made'' ,definitely possessed some talent to face some of the fearsome bowlers in his time .He never wore any helmet i think or some times ? But from my memory he used to wear a hat .

This is a very close call ,infact .I love Tendulkar very much like any other Indian fan,at the same time Sunnys contributions were immense also .

BTW ,how to create a poll ?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
When you create a new thread, at bottom, click Post a Poll and fill in the number of options.

Comparing an opener with a middle order is not easy, however, this matchup is a lot closer than some may view. Sunny had a memorable debut series and some of his innings were stuff of legend. Particularly, his great defensive double in England and his final fling vs Pakistan.

He bore the brunt of the batting burden, what with CChauhan as his most prolific partner, someone who could not crack 3 figures. And he broke new ground beating Bradmans centuries and breaking the 10K barrier of runs.

I'm leaning towards SMG

archie mac

International Coach
Sunny was more than ''just made'' ,definitely possessed some talent to face some of the fearsome bowlers in his time .He never wore any helmet i think or some times ? But from my memory he used to wear a hat .

This is a very close call ,infact .I love Tendulkar very much like any other Indian fan,at the same time Sunnys contributions were immense also .

I agree it is a close call (I think I said that in my first post), clearly one also needs some inate talent to play cricket at the highest level, but 'Made' refers to a player with maybe less natural talent then another but who works on his game more, and lifts himself to another level.

Nothing to do with bravery, Boycott was another 'made batsman', but he also never wore a helmet for a lage part of his career:)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sunny Gavaskar, as a test batsman. Batted at a Tougher batting position, had Immaculate defense, great concentration, better shot selection and obviously was a much better clutch performer.

funnygirl

State Regular
I agree it is a close call (I think I said that in my first post), clearly one also needs some inate talent to play cricket at the highest level, but 'Made' refers to a player with maybe less natural talent then another but who works on his game more, and lifts himself to another level.

Nothing to do with bravery, Boycott was another 'made batsman', but he also never wore a helmet for a lage part of his career:)
Fair enough .My concept of ''made '' batsman is say ,some one like Steve Waugh .

Sunny was very gifted, not as much as Tendulkar ,still had all range of shots .Yes it is indeed much more closer than many people would think .

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough .My concept of ''made '' batsman is say ,some one like Steve Waugh.
A better example would be Michael Hussey, for mine. Steve Waugh actually did have quite a lot of natural talent. He didn't so much work on his game as he did re-invent it entirely (although his style in ODI's didn't change as much, IIRC). I feel that 'working on' your game relates to enhancing your current style of play, which Hussey had undoubtedly done over the years (both as an opener and as a middle-order batsman).