cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: See ya, Braces - it's been, errrrr, grand?

See ya, Braces - it's been, errrrr, grand?

New Zealand Cricket is to begin searching for a new national coach after John Bracewell confirmed that he will not be seeking re-appointment to the position at the end of his contract in April 2009.

"John has informed me that he will not be looking to extend his contract for another term and will instead pursue other coaching opportunities in cricket," NZC CEO Justin Vaughan said.

"We will now begin a process to recruit a new Black Caps coach and will soon begin a search for suitable coaches throughout the game internationally.

"John has taken the Black Caps a long way in his time with the team and has driven some tremendous results, most notably in the one-day game.

"We will be looking for someone who can build on John's work and take the team forward. We currently have an extremely talented group of players with some really exciting individuals entering the international game.

"I believe they have the makings of a very successful team, and the coach will be selected to realise this potential," he said.

Bracewell said: "I have enjoyed my time with the Black Caps and am now looking forward to future challenges at the conclusion of my contract next year."
    I really would much prefer it if they started looking after the England tour, but they won't. John Wright, come on down.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4517966a1823.html

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    So we have a lame duck coach for a year? He can't even bloody resign properly - the ****.

In other (not unrelated news) - Party at Chez Heath tonight. Bring your own effigy of Braces to throw on the fire. My Bracewell Voodoo Doll has finally succeeded.

Actually, I'd like to see Dave Nosworthy appointed; given the success he's had with a bunch of inexperienced youngsters at Canterbury (if John Wright doesn't take the job, that is)
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    So we have a lame duck coach for a year? He can't even bloody resign properly - the ****.

In other (not unrelated news) - Party at Chez Heath tonight. Bring your own effigy of Braces to throw on the fire. My Bracewell Voodoo Doll has finally succeeded.
    Looks like I'll be there a week too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Looks like I'll be there a week too late.
    You're down here a week on Saturday, eh? Job starts a week on Monday?

You're down here a week on Saturday, eh? Job starts a week on Monday?
    Yeah, will start driving down probably Thursday but I'll take my time (might go see my sister and her family at the Mount as a wee detour). Getting a contract sent to me today, but just waiting on one reference to be confirmed, so it's as close to a done deal as it can be without being one. If you follow..

Yeah, will start driving down probably Thursday but I'll take my time (might go see my sister and her family at the Mount as a wee detour). Getting a contract sent to me today, but just waiting on one reference to be confirmed, so it's as close to a done deal as it can be without being one. If you follow..
    We'll see you presenting on trackside within a year, I reckon. At least you can wave Auckland goodbye (or good riddance)!

At least you can wave Auckland goodbye (or good riddance)!
    I believe it will be more of a two-fingered salute than a wave...

I believe it will be more of a two-fingered salute than a wave...

True to form. The only good thing about Auckland is the "You are now leaving Auckland" sign.

Anyway, seeing as we managed to get this thread off-topic quicker than a Mathew Sinclair test innings in recent years, what are your thoughts on the support staff? I never really had much of an opinion of Vaughan Johnson (who I had some coaching - or "non-coaching" - from when I was a teenager), but are there other bowling coaches about for us to use?

Mike Hesson is a bit young, but has startled me with his efforts with Otago - I thought it might have taken him a while to get respect from his players, but he's done an outstanding job.

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    John Wright will get the job I imagine
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Good on him for stepping down, someone new is needed although he has managed to help keep New Zealand near the top of the ODI rankings table throughout most of his time. I don't think he should be put down as a coach because he did make improvements in some areas with his fault being putting less emphasis in others such as tests and the way players should play in them.

John Wright will hopefully be selected straight away. I look forward to seeing a better performing NZ test team with him at the helm. I believe he can change the squad to deal with tests better and maybe he will have his screwed on properly as to who should play. First he has to come forward of course ... I think he would go for coach though, it'll probably be better than high performance center position.

The only time I've met Vaughan Johnson, he was doing his absolute how's-ya-fathers about the quality of a club cricket wicket in the Hutt Valley. He came across like a totally arrogant ****.

No idea about his coaching quality though, but I have heard he's a thoroughly objectionable chap. What was your experience of him?

The only time I've met Vaughan Johnson, he was doing his absolute how's-ya-fathers about the quality of a club cricket wicket in the Hutt Valley. He came across like a totally arrogant ****.

No idea about his coaching quality though, but I have heard he's a thoroughly objectionable chap. What was your experience of him?
    Pretty much that. He thought the best way to get the message across to a bunch of teenage boys was to act like a big tough authoritarian and throw the odd swearword in. As for coaching me specifically, he said "I don't know anything about legspinning, so just keep bowling and if there's something you thing you need help on, I might be able to lend a hand". Well, that's handy, VJ.

Unfortunately, his coaching methods became something of a parody among me and our mates and we had no respect for him.

Pretty much that. He thought the best way to get the message across to a bunch of teenage boys was to act like a big tough authoritarian and throw the odd swearword in. As for coaching me specifically, he said "I don't know anything about legspinning, so just keep bowling and if there's something you thing you need help on, I might be able to lend a hand". Well, that's handy, VJ.

Unfortunately, his coaching methods became something of a parody among me and our mates and we had no respect for him.
    That's total ****. Sounds a bit like a coach my missus used to have when she was with Hampshire. Even more annoyingly, that guy only seemed to provide coaching advice to his 'favourites' (which seemed to number 2 people). She got a lot more assistance from players training alongside her - particularly Billy Taylor as I recall. That's a while back, but I really don't get these coaches who don't provide any 'coaching'. I don't know where they get their reputations as 'coaches' from.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    great news :>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:

sooner he goes the better then perhaps nz cricket can get back on its feet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information