81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imran Khan

26 32.10%
  • Glenn McGrath

47 58.02%
  • Peter Moore

8 9.88%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is better Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Yes minor differences and u have to take consideration of ''neutral umpires '' very much considering imran has a much better home average than away .Again ,statistically Mcgrath is still better ,not by that much .But better .
    Until someone can show me significant proportions of Imran wickets that obviously came due to incorrect Umpiring decisions, I'm not going to take any note of that. As I say previously - pure conjecture. There is nothing obvious like there is with Javed Miandad's diplomatic immunity from lbws.

And I assure you - if you can, I can show you large numbers of McGrath wickets that came from poor strokes - whole matches between 2001 and 2004/05 where, on non-seaming wickets (which formed all bar about 3 or 4 Tests), he didn't take a single wicket with a wicket-taking delivery.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

State Vice-Captain
    Imran's figures are obscured by his first few tests, when he was hardly test class in bowling or batting, and the tests where he clearly played only as a support bowler and mainly as a batsman. When you take the relevant bowling period of his career (76-89, as Richard has shown), Imran comes out on top, which shouldn't be surprising.

Imran was about as complete a fast bowler as any, and could reverse swing it as well as anyone bar Waqar. His singlehanded destruction of India's mighty batting lineup in 1982/83 is probably the greatest exhibition of fast bowling ever seen in the subcontinent. He was just a more complete package than McGrath, and as effective if not more.

First Class Debutant
    Not at all comparable those eras.Mcgrath played in an era which has more ODIs and demanding cricket , whereas Imran played in an era of less ODIs .

I thought we were only talking about Test cricket?

In ODIs, they cannot be compared, as the game Imran played was not the same as the one McGrath did.

First Class Debutant
    I voted for imran simply because he was more complete as a bowler .

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    The point is that McGrath managed to maintain his consistency and performance even while playing a huge amount of test cricket which is why I said longevity "in tests". It's especially striking in comparison to younger bowlers who seem to break down every few months these days.

The other point is about easier batting conditions. If you discount the achievements of batsmen in the last 6-7 years because of this it's only fair to put give extra credit to bowlers who performed in this era.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I thought we were only talking about Test cricket?

In ODIs, they cannot be compared, as the game Imran played was not the same as the one McGrath did.
    I wasn't talking about ODIs ,but Mcgrath played in an era of more ODIs which can affect fast bowlers fitness and efficiency .

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    The point is that McGrath managed to maintain his consistency and performance even while playing a huge amount of test cricket which is why I said longevity "in tests". It's especially striking in comparison to younger bowlers who seem to break down every few months these days.
    But Imran played a huge amount of Test cricket too. Both 77 and 113 games are a huge number.
    The other point is about easier batting conditions. If you discount the achievements of batsmen in the last 6-7 years because of this it's only fair to put give extra credit to bowlers who performed in this era.
    Of course it is. But such conditions were fairly stock-in-trade for most of Imran's home career too. And he did even better than McGrath.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    I wasn't talking about ODIs ,but Mcgrath played in an era of more ODIs which can affect fast bowlers fitness and efficiency .
    ODIs require far, far less testing of fitness than Tests. It's well possible to bowl for several games in a row "within yourself" if you're of the very highest class. And McGrath did. And it was obvious he was on several occasions, too.

First Class Debutant

Of course it is. But such conditions were fairly stock-in-trade for most of Imran's home career too. And he did even better than McGrath.[/QUOTE
    If he was that good in batting pitches ,he should be even better in seaming conditions ,didn't he ?

And if he had been he'd possibly have been irrefutably the greatest (at worst second-greatest after SF Barnes) bowler ever.

What he did was more than enough for me to class him as where I class him, though. His superlative performances on dead wickets and very good ones on more seam-friendly ones qualify to me as better than someone who has performed superlatively on greentops and decently on utterly dead pitches.

First Class Debutant
    What about neutral venues like

Imran in England ,Mcgrath in England
    Imran in India ,Mcgrath in India(A thorough subcontinental batting paradise )
    Imran in NZ,mcrath in NZ
    Imran in Sl ,Mcgrath Sl

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And I assure you - if you can, I can show you large numbers of McGrath wickets that came from poor strokes - whole matches between 2001 and 2004/05 where, on non-seaming wickets (which formed all bar about 3 or 4 Tests), he didn't take a single wicket with a wicket-taking delivery.
    Richard, no offense. But that is a nonsensical argument. Most wickets from most bowlers are not taken by "wicket taking" deliveries, in fact usually (depending on the batsman concerned and conditions) wicket taking deliveries (by that I take it you mean jaffas or similar) do not take wickets.

Interesting thread though, and a difficult choice.

Having had the pleasure of watching them both bowl, it appeared that Imran was clearly the better bowler, but McGrath and his record is pretty impressive, still i will trust my eye
    You know it makes sense.

Thats what is going through my mind as well, AM.

I have seen quite a few clips of Imran bowling at his best, and have followed McGrath through his career and seen him at his best. It does seem to me that Imran was better, especially in the middle portion of his career, even if the stats favour McGrath.

I have yet to make up my mind though.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information