• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is better Imran Khan or Glenn Mcgrath?

Better bowler

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, never even heard of said balls. Extend my deepest sympathies to your bowling team-mates (and yourself, of course).

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, never even heard of said balls. Extend my deepest sympathis to your bowling team-mates (and yourself, of course).
:laugh:

They'll never make it to the UK so at least you guys will be spared :happy:

It's more than slightly annoying though when some talentless hack is getting a bat on something that refuses to do anything you politely request it to do at the top of your mark before each delivery. Praying for one delivery to jag back and hit him in the ribs just to let him know he's not still there due to talent always proves fruitless.

Mints!!! Mints!!!
My kingdom for some mints!!!!!
I'm not accusing English bowlers of cheating but refering to double standards & hypocricy of English who shouted "cheating" the most when Wasim & Waqar destroyed England with reverse swing but called it an "art" & wrote several articles of praise when Flintoff & Jones did it in ashes 2005.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not accusing English bowlers of cheating but refering to double standards & hypocricy of English who shouted "cheating" the most when Wasim & Waqar destroyed England with reverse swing but called it an "art" & wrote several articles of praise when Flintoff & Jones did it in ashes 2005.
I often wonder, really, whether any journalist who called Wasim and Waqar cheats were still writing 13 years later, and had obviously changed their tunes. I'd actually bet there weren't all that many.

TBH, I think it's more a case of becoming more learned. Waqar and Wasim in 1992 had the accusations thrown their way because of the ignorance of a large part of the British press. It was something they did not understand, so they presumed it was wrong. By 2005, those in this country and everywhere else had become far, far more clued-up on the thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well done. Keeping up the long-standing tradition of attacking the man instead of the ball.
TBF, attacking Burridge is hardly rare and with the stupidity his posting sometimes shows, not sans-justification either.

It might be interesting to have a McGrath versus Wasim Akram too.
It would be interesting but it wouldn't reflect real position as there are hradly any Pakistanis on this forum & 90% Australians will be voting in McGrath's favour.So,we should either not have these polls or have seperate poll opptions for neutral people.

I often wonder, really, whether any journalist who called Wasim and Waqar cheats were still writing 13 years later, and had obviously changed their tunes. I'd actually bet there weren't all that many.

TBH, I think it's more a case of becoming more learned. Waqar and Wasim in 1992 had the accusations thrown their way because of the ignorance of a large part of the British press. It was something they did not understand, so they presumed it was wrong. By 2005, those in this country and everywhere else had become far, far more clued-up on the thing.
But in 1992,reverse swing was not a new art at all as it has been in business since the time of Sarfaraz Nawaz.All English media is not like that but few idiots who are firm believers of "Only subcontinent players can cheat".And journalists usually have 25+ years of career,do I think many of them would've been in the biz in 2005.

slowfinger

International Debutant
But in 1992,reverse swing was not a new art at all as it has been in business since the time of Sarfaraz Nawaz.All English media is not like that but few idiots who are firm believers of "Only subcontinent players can cheat".And journalists usually have 25+ years of career,do I think many of them would've been in the biz in 2005.
Spot on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But in 1992,reverse swing was not a new art at all as it has been in business since the time of Sarfaraz Nawaz.
No, no, of course not - but it wasn't something that had ever been seen in England before then. Had English bowlers learned about it in, say, 1984, I presume there'd not have been the silly outcry there was. That outcry was based on lack of understanding. Many journalists in those days did not travel to Pakistan, and hence would never have seen it before.
All English media is not like that but few idiots who are firm believers of "Only subcontinent players can cheat".And journalists usually have 25+ years of career,do I think many of them would've been in the biz in 2005.
Yeah, I'm sure there might've been, but if so I wonder who they were. Unfortunately I don't remember who it was that was making the cheating allegations - I was only 6 in 1992. The only piece I've ever seen on it was by Jack Bannister in Wisden where he alluded to the fact that perhaps many people had jumped to conclusions because they did not understand.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, no, of course not - but it wasn't something that had ever been seen in England before then. Had English bowlers learned about it in, say, 1984, I presume there'd not have been the silly outcry there was. That outcry was based on lack of understanding. Many journalists in those days did not travel to Pakistan, and hence would never have seen it before.

Yeah, I'm sure there might've been, but if so I wonder who they were. Unfortunately I don't remember who it was that was making the cheating allegations - I was only 6 in 1992. The only piece I've ever seen on it was by Jack Bannister in Wisden where he alluded to the fact that perhaps many people had jumped to conclusions because they did not understand.
Englishmen knew about it in '84 as Imran was playing for Sussex at the time and had by then mastered it and undoubtedly told many others how to do it (if he told a teenage part-time staff cricketer like me, you can almost guarantee he told his teammates, who would've told others etc etc).

They were simply looking for excuses later

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It would be interesting but it wouldn't reflect real position as there are hradly any Pakistanis on this forum & 90% Australians will be voting in McGrath's favour.So,we should either not have these polls or have seperate poll opptions for neutral people.
If the point you are making is that most people vote according to nationalities (and I am not saying you are wrong) then why do we have any polls hare at all except between players of the same nationality.

Why not just periodically conduct a "nationality census" and then tell everyone who the greatest batsmen, openers, Spinners, pacers etc in the world are. We could even rank them accurately to the nearest whole number :)

By the way, we had an Ambrose versus Lillee poll last year and Ambrose won 22:15. I did not know we have more Australians than West Indians here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Englishmen knew about it in '84 as Imran was playing for Sussex at the time and had by then mastered it and undoubtedly told many others how to do it (if he told a teenage part-time staff cricketer like me, you can almost guarantee he told his teammates, who would've told others etc etc).

They were simply looking for excuses later
Of course some people knew about it in this country before 1992 - some would have known about it earlier even than 1984, those who'd toured Pakistan and faced Sarfaraz and Imran (and possibly others) too. Wasim Akram too played for Lancashire in 1988 and of course for reverse-swing to be effective the whole team has to be in on the use of the ball. He had to very quickly give his teammates instruction in ball-keeping.

The mainstream media, however, had almost no experience of it until 1992. It had had no great prominence. This is well-known fact. And it is the reason for the widescale overreaction after Wasim and Waqar bowled it so effectively.