• Not Pakistani and Imran > Wasim

19 41.30%
  • Not Pakistani and Wasim > Imran

15 32.61%
  • ABG

2 4.35%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: PAKISTANI FANS ONLY: who do you think better?

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What someone did is generally reflected in their statistics, yes.
    I hope u keep this statement always.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Imran for me. I can actually use the "statistics don't tell the whole story" for Imran as well. Imran would almost certainly have ended up in the 400 wicket club had he not been injured for 2 years of his prime. Add to that the series he missed either voluntarily (like the SL Test series in 1982) or involuntarily due to Packer, and he certainly could've finished with even better numbers. In his prime, Imran was as fearsome as they came. I know we're only comparing them as bowlers, but the fact that Imran had the added burden of Captaincy most of his career and still performed at high levels against the best of oppositions gives him the edge IMO. Imran during 1982- 1991: 51 matches, 204 wickets @ 19.90 (that not bringing into consideration the 51.60 batting average). That is truly remarkable. But forget stats. I've seen them both play (I saw more of Wasim than Imran live, but have seen almost all of Imran's career on tape or read about it) and I would pick Imran over Wasim to play for my team. That is not to say that Imran is far greater than Wasim as a bowler, just that he would be my preference.

State Vice-Captain
    Imran was the sub-continents first genuine fast bowler. He had far greater hurdles to overcome. Wasim may have had the greater talent, but Imran relished a challenge and lifted his game to take on all-comers.

Comparing him to the greats of his time in contested matches, he loses nothing in comparison...even over the likes of Marshall and Hadlee.

So, Imran for me
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

First Class Debutant
    It is not like that wasim was blessed with superior fitness and smooth career.Before Akhtar came ,.it was Wasim who was the most injury prone bowler for pakistan plus diabetes .To me that was the biggest difference between Wasim and Imran ,superior fitness Imran had (Definitely full credit to Imran for that ,it is a must for an athlete).
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I know we're only comparing them as bowlers, but the fact that Imran had the added burden of Captaincy most of his career and still performed at high levels against the best of oppositions gives him the edge IMO.
    I dont believe Captaincy was a burden for Imran, If anything it helped him motivate a lot more. Not to forget that Wasim led his country in tests as well and did fairly well (as a bowler). Wasim also had to deal with his own illness and 350+ ODIs.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    FFS, Nick Scott, you are NOT a Pakistani!
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    To me, personally, Imran is on the top tier of the greatest bowlers of all time. Wasim is on the next tier (both still in the top ten-fifteen though).

If I say the top tier is something like this (in no order):

McGrath, Marshall, Barnes, Hadlee, Ambrose, Imran, Lillee

The second tier would be something like:

Trueman, Wasim, Donald, Garner, Holding, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but that's how I generally look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Donald > Lillee and McGrath.

Just putting it out there, y'know.

Two you're certainly missing - as so many so often do - are Ray Lindwall and Alan Davidson.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

It's fairly subjective, to be honest. In general, it appears that those who prefer consistency, a testing line/length and calculated bowling seem to prefer Imran; Wasim bowled some utter tosh at times, and I never really got the feeling that he tried to out-think the batsman - (and indeed, this impression was facilitated by his own account) - instead, he focused on variety and the extra touch of genius - I can't think of anybody else who bowled an equal number of virtually unplayable deliveries, apart, perhaps, from Murali.

Cricket Champion!
    I'd love to see Richard tell the likes of Benaud and other cricketing scholars his little theories and opinions. Would be fun to see their reactions.
    ★★★★★

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Donald > Lillee and McGrath.

Just putting it out there, y'know.

Two you're certainly missing - as so many so often do - are Ray Lindwall and Alan Davidson.
    I did miss Lindwall, Davidson would be in the third tier for me.

z
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    I'd love to see Richard tell the likes of Benaud and other cricketing scholars his little theories and opinions. Would be fun to see their reactions.
    "little".

And TBH, I'd quite like it too - I'd like someone who wasn't a complete crackpot and came-out with the "Lillee once got hit for four and asked for another slip; Donald once got hit for four and asked for another man in the ring" tell me why Lillee was so obviously better than Donald.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

not again.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    It's fairly subjective, to be honest. In general, it appears that those who prefer consistency, a testing line/length and calculated bowling seem to prefer Imran; Wasim bowled some utter tosh at times, and I never really got the feeling that he tried to out-think the batsman - (and indeed, this impression was facilitated by his own account) - instead, he focused on variety and the extra touch of genius - I can't think of anybody else who bowled an equal number of virtually unplayable deliveries, apart, perhaps, from Murali.
    Indeed Imran was more disciplined than Wasim ,the reason being he wasn't a natural like Wasim .He earned his ability through graft and determination .He started as a mediocre medium pacer in 1971 ,realised himself and then decided to work hard on his physique ,learned his tricks while playing for Oxford universities ,came back as one of the greatest quicks of all time . U have to give full marks to him for that .

Wasim on the other hand was a total natural who bowled on the streets and picked up suddenly after bowling few deliveries to Javed Miandad .So he started as a ''raw natural '' ,it is always that a natural will never have the discipline of a made one .Plus he was never fit as Imran ,always had some prouble or other .

To put is short Imran was more proffesional and much more mentally stronger individual than Wasim .Watching Imran was like watching a great profesional at his work with full focus,works like a machine ,while watching Wasim is like watching an artist at work,induced a lot of pleasure and passion.Thats my personal opinion ofcourse.
    Last edited by funnygirl; 09-05-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information