• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PAKISTANI FANS ONLY: who do you think better?

Better Test match bowler for Pakistan

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To me, personally, Imran is on the top tier of the greatest bowlers of all time. Wasim is on the next tier (both still in the top ten-fifteen though).

If I say the top tier is something like this (in no order):

McGrath, Marshall, Barnes, Hadlee, Ambrose, Imran, Lillee

The second tier would be something like:

Trueman, Wasim, Donald, Garner, Holding, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but that's how I generally look at it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Donald > Lillee and McGrath.

Just putting it out there, y'know.

Two you're certainly missing - as so many so often do - are Ray Lindwall and Alan Davidson.

Beleg

International Regular
It's fairly subjective, to be honest. In general, it appears that those who prefer consistency, a testing line/length and calculated bowling seem to prefer Imran; Wasim bowled some utter tosh at times, and I never really got the feeling that he tried to out-think the batsman - (and indeed, this impression was facilitated by his own account) - instead, he focused on variety and the extra touch of genius - I can't think of anybody else who bowled an equal number of virtually unplayable deliveries, apart, perhaps, from Murali.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to see Richard tell the likes of Benaud and other cricketing scholars his little theories and opinions. Would be fun to see their reactions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd love to see Richard tell the likes of Benaud and other cricketing scholars his little theories and opinions. Would be fun to see their reactions.
:laugh: "little".

And TBH, I'd quite like it too - I'd like someone who wasn't a complete crackpot and came-out with the "Lillee once got hit for four and asked for another slip; Donald once got hit for four and asked for another man in the ring" tell me why Lillee was so obviously better than Donald.

funnygirl

State Regular
It's fairly subjective, to be honest. In general, it appears that those who prefer consistency, a testing line/length and calculated bowling seem to prefer Imran; Wasim bowled some utter tosh at times, and I never really got the feeling that he tried to out-think the batsman - (and indeed, this impression was facilitated by his own account) - instead, he focused on variety and the extra touch of genius - I can't think of anybody else who bowled an equal number of virtually unplayable deliveries, apart, perhaps, from Murali.
Indeed Imran was more disciplined than Wasim ,the reason being he wasn't a natural like Wasim .He earned his ability through graft and determination .He started as a mediocre medium pacer in 1971 ,realised himself and then decided to work hard on his physique ,learned his tricks while playing for Oxford universities ,came back as one of the greatest quicks of all time . U have to give full marks to him for that .

Wasim on the other hand was a total natural who bowled on the streets and picked up suddenly after bowling few deliveries to Javed Miandad .So he started as a ''raw natural '' ,it is always that a natural will never have the discipline of a made one .Plus he was never fit as Imran ,always had some prouble or other .

To put is short Imran was more proffesional and much more mentally stronger individual than Wasim .Watching Imran was like watching a great profesional at his work with full focus,works like a machine ,while watching Wasim is like watching an artist at work,induced a lot of pleasure and passion.Thats my personal opinion ofcourse.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
You've been warned in the past, and via email to cut this sort of thing out of your posting.

Anymore of it, and you'll find yourself banned.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You've been warned in the past, and via email to cut this sort of thing out of your posting.

Anymore of it, and you'll find yourself banned.
I am sorry James but its important for the credibility of CW that not only are you fair and above prejudice but, even more importantly, perceived to be so by most people. I am afraid this doesn't seem to be one such case which is very disappointing. Unless there is more to your post than just what you have quoted. In which case it needs clarification rather than this lingering doubt as I have now.

I am fully aware that you needn't answer this but knowing you and whatever I have seen over the last few years I am sure your response will be positive.

pasag

RTDAS
There is more to it, as James alluded to. We have been in contact with members in an effort to reduce the sniping and negative atmosphere that has been getting quite a bit out of hand lately. Whilst quoting the post in isolation may look objectionable to you, taken in a wider context it makes perfect sense.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is more to it, as James alluded to. We have been in contact with members in an effort to reduce the sniping and negative atmosphere that has been getting quite a bit out of hand lately. Whilst quoting the post in isolation may look objectionable to you, taken in a wider context it makes perfect sense.
Fair enough. In that case, I think it would have been more appropriate for James not to have quoted the post

Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic

But I do agree that the atmosphere was getting a bit "out of hand"

gwo

U19 Debutant
In all honesty, Kaz has a point.

It's funny how tough one can get being an internet warrior like some around here, but when presenting those views you have to respected persons of the topic, you can't imagine anything but ludicrious laughter by such persons.

For a person who started seriously following cricket in the past 10 years to have such strong opinions of people (who played before his time) is rather arrogant if you ask me.