• Andrew Flintoff

4 13.33%
  • Derek Pringle

10 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Greig v Andrew Flintoff

Cricketer Of The Year

Tony Greig v Andrew Flintoff

As poor old Andy has been thrown in ridiculously over his head in a couple of recent polls I thought it was time for one where he could on a night when it's cloudy actually be given a vote with a modicum of justification.

Banned
    greig

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Greig easily the better batsman (there's no way Flintoff would have a cat in hell's chance of scoring centuries against Lillee and Thomson on a 'Gabba flyer - amongst not being able to play quite a few other innings) and Flintoff fairly easily eventually the better (if less versatile) bowler.

Though of course, where bowling is concerned, Greig, whose bowling didn't particularly get better or worse over his (relatively short) Test career, isn't neccessarily as much worse than Flintoff as it might immediately seem - he was obviously miles and miles better (as a bowler) than the '98-'00 Flintoff, obviously better than the '01/02-'03 Flintoff and obviously nowhere near as good as the '03/04-'06/07 Flintoff.

Both brilliant slip-catchers, Greig possibly a bit better, and Greig easily the better captain. Incomparable as ODI players as they played a different game.

As such, Greig it has to be.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    As poor old Andy has been thrown in ridiculously over his head in a couple of recent polls I thought it was time for one where he could on a night when it's cloudy actually be given a vote with a modicum of justification.

Given his current form in the CC, should be starting an Andrew Flintoff v Chris Martin thread: - Who's the better all rounder?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Given his current form in the CC, should be starting an Andrew Flintoff v Chris Martin thread: - Who's the better all rounder?

Yeah, and on current perfomance we could have a Don Bradman v Wilf Slack thread.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Derek Pringle

Tony Greig's a wanker.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Chris Martin by a mile. No better player of the forward defensive miss in the world imo.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Tony Greig's a wanker.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Surely that's not breaking news

Nothing wrong with him IMO, apart from the fact he actually liked Kerry Packer (who WAS a dickhead) for some reason.

Nothing wrong with him IMO, apart from the fact he actually liked Kerry Packer (who WAS a dickhead) for some reason.
    You don't have him on TV babbling on like a tool throughout summer though. If he could decide who he supported it'd be a good start. Had the misfortune to meet him when I was younger, he was an arrogant prick.

Andrew Hansen (from the Chaser's War on Everything) summed him (Packer) up quite well.

As for Tony Greig, what he has said and done over the years hasn't exactly attracted me to him, to put it that way (i.e - sounding so comical in the commentary box as to transcend the very notion of contempt).

As a batsman, he was obviously much better than Flintoff, for reasons already mentioned.

As a bowler, he was (as pointed out) versatile, bowling both fast-mediums and offspin (although his offspin was cannon fodder to David Hookes, a notable underachiever who was apparently a pretty poor player of spin bowling, so I don't know how significant this is). I can't say whether he was superior to Flintoff, although the stats suggest that Flintoff was.

It is impossible to compare them as ODI players, obviously (Greig, ironically, barely played them, despite his pioneering role in the development of the ODI game, in question).

I'd probably take Greig, based on the strength of his batting (and almost certainly his captaincy, too).

You don't have him on TV babbling on like a tool throughout summer though. If he could decide who he supported it'd be a good start. Had the misfortune to meet him when I was younger, he was an arrogant prick.
    Ah, I see, fair noof in that case. But I certainly have plenty of experience of his commentary, both on Nine and on various other networks. Not a massive fan or anything, but much prefer him to many of the "new" faces on the block we've had in the last 4 or 5 years.

2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    We have in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information