• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig v Andrew Flintoff

Tony Greig v Andrew Flintoff - superior Test Cricketer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As poor old Andy has been thrown in ridiculously over his head in a couple of recent polls I thought it was time for one where he could on a night when it's cloudy actually be given a vote with a modicum of justification.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Greig easily the better batsman (there's no way Flintoff would have a cat in hell's chance of scoring centuries against Lillee and Thomson on a 'Gabba flyer - amongst not being able to play quite a few other innings) and Flintoff fairly easily eventually the better (if less versatile) bowler.

Though of course, where bowling is concerned, Greig, whose bowling didn't particularly get better or worse over his (relatively short) Test career, isn't neccessarily as much worse than Flintoff as it might immediately seem - he was obviously miles and miles better (as a bowler) than the '98-'00 Flintoff, obviously better than the '01/02-'03 Flintoff and obviously nowhere near as good as the '03/04-'06/07 Flintoff.

Both brilliant slip-catchers, Greig possibly a bit better, and Greig easily the better captain. Incomparable as ODI players as they played a different game.

As such, Greig it has to be.

cpr

International Coach
As poor old Andy has been thrown in ridiculously over his head in a couple of recent polls I thought it was time for one where he could on a night when it's cloudy actually be given a vote with a modicum of justification.:)

Given his current form in the CC, should be starting an Andrew Flintoff v Chris Martin thread: - Who's the better all rounder?

Flem274*

123/5
Given his current form in the CC, should be starting an Andrew Flintoff v Chris Martin thread: - Who's the better all rounder?
Chris Martin by a mile. No better player of the forward defensive miss in the world imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing wrong with him IMO, apart from the fact he actually liked Kerry Packer (who WAS a dickhead) for some reason.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nothing wrong with him IMO, apart from the fact he actually liked Kerry Packer (who WAS a dickhead) for some reason.
You don't have him on TV babbling on like a tool throughout summer though. If he could decide who he supported it'd be a good start. Had the misfortune to meet him when I was younger, he was an arrogant prick.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Andrew Hansen (from the Chaser's War on Everything) summed him (Packer) up quite well.

As for Tony Greig, what he has said and done over the years hasn't exactly attracted me to him, to put it that way (i.e - sounding so comical in the commentary box as to transcend the very notion of contempt).

As a batsman, he was obviously much better than Flintoff, for reasons already mentioned.

As a bowler, he was (as pointed out) versatile, bowling both fast-mediums and offspin (although his offspin was cannon fodder to David Hookes, a notable underachiever who was apparently a pretty poor player of spin bowling, so I don't know how significant this is). I can't say whether he was superior to Flintoff, although the stats suggest that Flintoff was.

It is impossible to compare them as ODI players, obviously (Greig, ironically, barely played them, despite his pioneering role in the development of the ODI game, in question).

I'd probably take Greig, based on the strength of his batting (and almost certainly his captaincy, too).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't have him on TV babbling on like a tool throughout summer though. If he could decide who he supported it'd be a good start. Had the misfortune to meet him when I was younger, he was an arrogant prick.
Ah, I see, fair noof in that case. But I certainly have plenty of experience of his commentary, both on Nine and on various other networks. Not a massive fan or anything, but much prefer him to many of the "new" faces on the block we've had in the last 4 or 5 years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We have in the past