• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England or Somerset?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Johnson has been superb to date with bat and ball and certainly deserves consideration for Tests and/or one day cricket.
However, do you want to see him play for England meaning somerset miss out? Or is playing for Somerset what county fans prefer?
So do you think he has the quality to make the step up? For the record, I think he deserves his chance if you think about the bowlers in the past you have come and gone - Yorkhire's Ryan Sidebottom, Alan Igglesen for two who personally make me wonder why I was ever bypassed. Johnson has been clsoe before and though it might mean he misses some Somerset games, he ought to get a go if he stays fit this summer.

www.somersettalk.co.uk

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
THis topic has actually been discussed in Cricket Chat, and my opinion there has not changed.

Rich2001

International Captain
However, do you want to see him play for England meaning somerset miss out? Or is playing for Somerset what county fans prefer?
Your a mad and to an extent a very selfish person if you think your county is more important than representing your country IMO

Playing for your country is basically what everyone of the players around the world want to achieve, not to be good and turn around and say "Oh nope don't fancy playing for England vs Australia, Somerset have a meanless game against Scotland coming up"

(That wasn't aimed at you John, just in general)

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
THis topic has actually been discussed in Cricket Chat, and my opinion there has not changed.
Yes, because you've decided that he's not good enough, just because to you he isn't. Every time I've seen Johnson I've been impressed, since he moved to Somerset he really has moved up another level in his performances. Maybe you should look at him before you say he's not good enough, and I mean at him bowling and batting rather than just his stats...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I posted that to avoid having to gothrough the whole argument again since we obviously don't agree.

The one thing I'd like to know is who you'd remove to put him in the team.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I posted that to avoid having to gothrough the whole argument again since we obviously don't agree.

The one thing I'd like to know is who you'd remove to put him in the team.
Based on total ineptness: Harmison

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since Harmison's figures in his Tests so far are actually better than the team as a whole in those matches, I find that a little bemusing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Since Harmison's figures in his Tests so far are actually better than the team as a whole in those matches, I find that a little bemusing.

Well if a guy looks like he cant bowl for toffee. The chances are he isnt going to succeed at test level..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Colin Stuart impressed the Aussies when WI was in Oz in 2000. They said he was a good prospect.

This season, he was dropped from the Guyana side during the Carib Cup....due to inconsistency and a general lack of penetration. Just because the Aussies say so doesn't make it true...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the fact that Harmison also has received an ECB contract suggests that those that matter thought he wasn't as bad as some people make out.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
But if those performances impress the Australians, then maybe he can bowl?
Why is it that if someone impresses the Aussies they are suddenly a good player? Look at Robert Key, he impressed them but made no major contribution to the fight for the Ashes. He might be a good player but he's not showed that at International Level so far. Anyway these Australians you have been talking to have obviously been attracted by Harmison's pace and ignored his total lack of control, and penetration. As a wise man once said: "It's not how fast you bowl or how you bowl, it's how many wickets you get that matters"

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I think the fact that Harmison also has received an ECB contract suggests that those that matter thought he wasn't as bad as some people make out.
Or more probably it's a gamble by the ECB just like picking Vaughan as ODI captain.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
When the bowlers he has bowled with include an Injured Flintoff, Matthew Hoggard who needs swing-friendly conditions in order to be successful and Richard Dawson who people have finally realised is nowhere near Test standard then suddenly that stat looks much less impressive. Throw in Alex Tudor who has lost it for good measure. Also you haven't said how much better his bowling average is compared to the other bowlers. Come on Marc...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Harmison isn't ready for International cricket, much like Tino Best (I use WI examples because I know WI examples) and to a lesser extent Jermaine Lawson. Give him a bit more time. Let him improve his game and then reconsider his selection. I think most people are in agreement on this and others.....are in denial......

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nixon

Mr Mxyzptlk, as you are based in Trinidad and Tobago, I wondered if you knew what people in the West Indies think of Nixon MCLean?? Nowhere near a Test recall? Over the hill or on the way back?? If Courtenay Walsh can keep going until he's nearly 90, there might be a few more years left for Nixon. Not that I comparing like with like you understand. :D

www.somersettalk.co.uk

Mr Mxyzptlk

I never thought much of Nixon McLean. I think he has the talent but will never have the discipline or work ethic to even be a good bowler. No offense, but I can't see what possessed Somerset to sign him.

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Because he was cheap!

And available for the whole season.

And if he keeps up the form he's shown so far

NAM McLean 4m 142o 29m 462r 17w 27.17ave 5-87best 1x5WI - 50.1sr 3.25ec SOMERSET

(Currently second in the first class averages)

I for one will be applauding the club on a very shrewd investment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As a whole, England have an average of about 43 in the matches Harmison's played in - this indicates to me that either the wickets were very good for batting on or the attack as a whole was facing a better set of players.

Either way you cannot just single out Harmison and drop him.