• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New strategy to win matches in IPL

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
Following Team Mumbai, Team Hyderabad also changed their captain to Gilchrist and they have won the game.......Now we are having 3 foreign captains in IPL and all those teams are in winning mode now.........

Is this a new strategy for victory??( I think Laxman, by himself stepped out from the previous game)

Whom will they replace for Dhoni??:-O

bond21

Banned
problem was they were handing out captaincies to only indian players, some of which totally suck ass as a captain, like dravid.

gilchrist is vice captain of Australia...he shouldve been captain from the get go, as should Ponting for Kolkata, instead they give a token captaincy to Ganguly who basically dug a hole for his team that they wont get out of.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
as should Ponting for Kolkata, instead they give a token captaincy to Ganguly who basically dug a hole for his team that they wont get out of.
It is very arguable whether Ponting is a better captain than Ganguly. Who is a better captain would vary depending on the person you ask.

That is not the important point though. Ponting could not have been appointed captain as he was going to the Windies after a few early matches. Even if he had been, it would have not helped the team any better as Kolkata won when Ponting was playing for them with Ganguly as captain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ganguly isnt even captain of India, how is he better than the captain of Australia?
Warne was never captain of Australia, how is he a better captain than the current captain Ricky Ponting?

Because he just is.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
problem was they were handing out captaincies to only indian players, some of which totally suck ass as a captain, like dravid.

gilchrist is vice captain of Australia...he shouldve been captain from the get go, as should Ponting for Kolkata, instead they give a token captaincy to Ganguly who basically dug a hole for his team that they wont get out of.
Hey this is Indian Premier League ( Not International Premier League:dry: ).....so its obvious that first preference will go to Indians......:)

bond21

Banned
its like saying how pure the EPL is when more players are from overseas than local and half the owners are russian or american.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The problem comes when you select players who aren't always good enough to make your starting XI in this format. Dravid and Laxman are very good captains and have shown that for India and in Laxman's case for his domestic sides. Both are better captains then say Sehwag. But Sehwag is more suited to this format and overall has better team, so it seems he is better captain. If you give Sehwag a lesser side, I think he will struggle as a captain as well. You can only go far with the tools you have.

Granted though that Pollock is far better captain then Harby and probably even Tendulkar. Also Gilchirst is better captain then Laxman. But when it comes to Banglaore apart from Kumble there is no else who you could say is better captain.

Next season I wouldn't be surprised if some more retired players take over as captains. But even though Sangakkara and Jayawardene are better captains then Yuraj, I wouldn't give them the captaincy. It would be pointless giving someone the captaincy that wont be able to play for whole tournment.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Ponting is not there for the whole of IPL. It would have been the stupidest thing in history to appoint him captain.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
The problem comes when you select players who aren't always good enough to make your starting XI in this format. Dravid and Laxman are very good captains and have shown that for India and in Laxman's case for his domestic sides. Both are better captains then say Sehwag. But Sehwag is more suited to this format and overall has better team, so it seems he is better captain. If you give Sehwag a lesser side, I think he will struggle as a captain as well. You can only go far with the tools you have.

Granted though that Pollock is far better captain then Harby and probably even Tendulkar. Also Gilchirst is better captain then Laxman. But when it comes to Banglaore apart from Kumble there is no else who you could say is better captain.

Next season I wouldn't be surprised if some more retired players take over as captains. But even though Sangakkara and Jayawardene are better captains then Yuraj, I wouldn't give them the captaincy. It would be pointless giving someone the captaincy that wont be able to play for whole tournment.
I am not sure whether Kumble is a better captain....

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey this is Indian Premier League ( Not International Premier League:dry: ).....so its obvious that first preference will go to Indians......:)
In that case they could have picked any random Indian to captain the teams but they didn't. I suspect the selection of captains was more intended to give the new teams a popular and familiar face for Indian cricketers to associate with the new teams as it was about their on field leadership if not more so the case.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No way, Sehwag is a much better captain than VVS Laxman. Sehwag is a actually quite a good captain, and he's shown it during his limited tenure as Indian vice captain, and through his tactical movies during the IPL.

He's a good leader. His only drawback is the way he bats regardless of the match position IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Why give Ponting captaincy of Kolkata when he was only going to play the first few weeks?

I know you love sticking the boot into anything Indian, but at least do it logically like some other posters on here attempt to do.