View Poll Results: How would Sir Donald Bradman go in today's era of cricket?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very very good

18 25.71%
  • He would of been found by the better quality of bowlers

2 2.86%
  • Still would the best batsman ever

39 55.71%
  • I have no idea

11 15.71%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: If Bradman played in today's era?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    If you look at the stats, no other sportsman has dominated a mainstream sport the way Bradman has, he was the very best out of any sportsman there ever has been IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

U19 Debutant
    Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where to get Bradman film footage? I have a picture in my mind of how him batting would look. Something of a mix of Brendan McCullum and Sachin.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I reckon Parkinson's recent interview really emphasises the point that the standard of cricket has raised since Bradman's time, the fitness levels have went up by so much that the game has changed completely. The change can be creditted to two men, WG Grace and Bradman, they are what created the modern game, pioneers, yet that does not stand to reason that if a time machine were created they would dominate it. They would be very good players but in this day and age, sport is your profession you train every day of the week, and the skill level is always rising.

Though if you were to feel if Bradman was born in this age of cricketers with all the skill and talent he possessed then, perhaps he would still dominate over todays higher standards, yet that fact alone is debatable as he created those standards and everyone else has emulated them. There may never be another Bradman and even though he may not be the best if he played today, he is the greatest batsman ever to play the game because of what he did then, in his own time, whatever has happened since is inconsequential, without him batting would never be the same as it is today.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    He would have been averaged around 150.
    Hi Funnygirl

Here is the dampener for all Bradman 'devotees'

The world batting averages haven't changed much since Bradman's era. If anything they are marginally lower. The lowest being during Richard's era at 30.21 as compared to 31.856 during Bradman's times. Thus Bradman's average during the times of these other greats - extrapolated on the basis of the world averages and Bradman's 'multiplier' works out as -
    • Hammond's Era : 97.93
    • Richard's Era : 94.97
    • Gavaskar's Era : 95.50
    • Lara's Era : 95.85

He played in the best era of them all. So the only chance Bradman had for keeping his three figure average intact was if he hadn't played that last test

.... or maybe he should have toured South Africa in 1935-36 and played those five test matches

Bradman really had it easy dodn't he, everyone in the world was scoring more runs - right?

Or do you think it is because all the world's truly great batsmen were his contemporaries?

Lets start fighting over that

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Edit?
    Thanks my dear.

Oh shucks - its too late.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where to get Bradman film footage? I have a picture in my mind of how him batting would look. Something of a mix of Brendan McCullum and Sachin.
    Quite a bit of stuff up online.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I reckon Parkinson's recent interview really emphasises the point that the standard of cricket has raised since Bradman's time, the fitness levels have went up by so much that the game has changed completely. The change can be creditted to two men, WG Grace and Bradman, they are what created the modern game, pioneers, yet that does not stand to reason that if a time machine were created they would dominate it. They would be very good players but in this day and age, sport is your profession you train every day of the week, and the skill level is always rising.

Though if you were to feel if Bradman was born in this age of cricketers with all the skill and talent he possessed then, perhaps he would still dominate over todays higher standards, yet that fact alone is debatable as he created those standards and everyone else has emulated them. There may never be another Bradman and even though he may not be the best if he played today, he is the greatest batsman ever to play the game because of what he did then, in his own time, whatever has happened since is inconsequential, without him batting would never be the same as it is today.
    The things that made Bradman special have yet to be emulated.

Yes, Bradman was ahead of his time in some ways, but that wasn't the main reason for him being so good.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's obviously been said before but wow does he hit that ball cleanly
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    If you look at the stats, no other sportsman has dominated a mainstream sport the way Bradman has, he was the very best out of any sportsman there ever has been IMO.
    The Belgian cyclist Eddy Merckx is the only sportsperson to match Bradman in my opinion.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    A quick look at Grace's stats.....continued

So how did WG Grace fare against his contemporaries in the English first class seasons over the 20 year period of 1868-1887

• WG averaged 45.17 during this period.
    • The average of all others who played in the first class game in those years put together is 16.00.
    • This gives WG a multiplier of 2.82 over his contemporaries in these two decades.
    • The average in the English season in the 21st centuries (2000-2007) has been 31.55
    • Thus if there was someone who dominated English first class cricket today as WG did for those 20, he would have had to average 89.06 !!

An average of 89.06 for a period of 20 years !!

Not too different from Bradman's career first class average of 95.14 .

Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn View Post
    It's obviously been said before but wow does he hit that ball cleanly
    Yep. And that too with bats far, far lighter than those which most people have used for the past 20 or 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    A quick look at Grace's stats.....continued

So how did WG Grace fare against his contemporaries in the English first class seasons over the 20 year period of 1868-1887

• WG averaged 45.17 during this period.
    • The average of all others who played in the first class game in those years put together is 16.00.
    • This gives WG a multiplier of 2.82 over his contemporaries in these two decades.
    • The average in the English season in the 21st centuries (2000-2007) has been 31.55
    • Thus if there was someone who dominated English first class cricket today as WG did for those 20, he would have had to average 89.06 !!

An average of 89.06 for a period of 20 years !!

Not too different from Bradman's career first class average of 95.14 .
    WoWee. I knew he was dominant, but not to that extent.

Is this average of 16 that for those of front-line batsmen or all players?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    WoWee. I knew he was dominant, but not to that extent.

Is this average of 16 that for those of front-line batsmen or all players?
    Of all players.

This is almost exactly half of the average of all first class batsmen in 2000-2007. That gives a very good idea of how different batting was at that time.

The stats dont differ at least from the time of the late 1920's. I will do the analysis for the periods before that one of these days to see when exactly the batting averages started moving up and at what speed.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Its even more amazing that in that 20 year period, every 7th first class century scored in England was scored by WG !!

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Isura View Post
    I can understand the Sachin part of the mix but McCullum?? Bradman was notorious for hitting the ball along the ground and finding the gaps, McCullum just goes out there and smashes the daylights out of it!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information