View Poll Results: How would Sir Donald Bradman go in today's era of cricket?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very very good

18 25.71%
  • He would of been found by the better quality of bowlers

2 2.86%
  • Still would the best batsman ever

39 55.71%
  • I have no idea

11 15.71%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: If Bradman played in today's era?

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I am really sorry mate. This comes from just running through threads without reading all the posts.
    Essentially what your post says I tried to convey (though not so elaborately and concludingly) in one of my posts on page 1 of this thread ... That the batting statistics of his contemporaries were similar to those of today's batsmen ...

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnr. View Post
    []

Bradman would be dire in today's era. He'd have to face the might of Irfan Pathan and the vicious spin of Virender Sehwag.

[/]
    Not to forget the mental disintegration caused by S 'Rottweiler' Sreesanth

Quote Originally Posted by Jnr. View Post
    []

Bradman would be dire in today's era. He'd have to face the might of Irfan Pathan and the vicious spin of Virender Sehwag.

[/]
    Or Ishant Sharma
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Exactly half of Bradman's 52 Tests were timeless games, apparently. UIMM, all pre-WWII international games in Australia were timeless
    It is worth noting that the first Twentieth-Century draw in Australia came during Hammond's ill-fated swansong. That was 1946/47.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Would have masterd every bowler. Murali and Warne would have troubled him to a noticable degree, probably Kumble and Saqlain here and there. But could not tink what would a bowler like McGrath would have done by boring him down. And Malcolm Marshall would definietly have had his days against him.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Two questions, SJS:

1. Did you get the books I sent you?
    2. Could you do a similar analysis of W.G.'s first-class career from its beginning to the end of the 1870s?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Would have masterd every bowler. Murali and Warne would have troubled him to a noticable degree, probably Kumble and Saqlain here and there. But could not tink what would a bowler like McGrath would have done by boring him down. And Malcolm Marshall would definietly have had his days against him.
    Indeed, even the greatest batsmen will be brought down by the best bowlers from time to time. I think Marshall's bowling-average would be likely to go up a bit more than Bradman's batting-average would go down, however.

Worth remembering, though, that Bradman fairly destroyed Larwood in 1930, and had Larwood had a fair crack of the whip he could very possibly have been one of England's greatest Test bowlers.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Could you do a similar analysis of W.G.'s first-class career from its beginning to the end of the 1870s?
    Something I have long wanted to see. How easy it would be I don't know, but I assure you, such an analysis would be something indeed.

Indeed, even the greatest batsmen will be brought down by the best bowlers from time to time. I think Marshall's bowling-average would be likely to go up a bit more than Bradman's batting-average would go down, however.

Worth remembering, though, that Bradman fairly destroyed Larwood in 1930, and had Larwood had a fair crack of the whip he could very possibly have been one of England's greatest Test bowlers.
    We all know that Marshall was a complete bowler. Marshall was the quickest among WI pacies (exception being Patrick Patterson, who had a liking to the opposition batsmen's skulls), possibly quicker than Larwood, and much more crafty operator than Larwood as seen by his performance on Indian wickets. I would thing even for Bradman it would be hard to destroy him time and time out.

As for the Murali / Warne situation, Bradman would have never played two spinners of this quality in his opposition. The nearest would be Headly Verity (who did reasonably well against him), but Verity cannot be classed with Murali and Warne as a spin legend. So I would expect him to be troubled by these two often than from pace bowlers,.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Two questions, SJS:

1. Did you get the books I sent you?
    2. Could you do a similar analysis of W.G.'s first-class career from its beginning to the end of the 1870s?
    - Yes I got your mails Thanks
    - and yes I can do it for WG's career but it will take a bit of time since first class figures are not available is this format as easily as for tests

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Larwood probably WAS England's greatest fast bowler.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Larwood probably WAS England's greatest fast bowler.
    According to Richard, he is not even in contention. Richard has already made his feelings clear on that:

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    Harold Larwood has only taken 78 wickets in his whole career. To suggest he'd need 20 just against S.Africa just to qualify to compare is ********. Next you will tell me he wasn't one of England's all-time best.
    Not in Tests, no, he wasn't. Only in domestic cricket is Larwood one of England's best.
    ★★★★★

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    According to Richard, he is not even in contention. Richard has already made his feelings clear on that:
    Why is what Richard's think so important ??

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Cos Richard runs this little cake stand and if has an opinion on eveything

On a more serious note Richard pinion now matter how agreeable or unagreeable tends to come with a reasonably based argument based on facts. Hence his high gredibility. Back on topic please...
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    No, it's really not important to me what Richard thinks, as it's usually so off-base that it makes little sense. In essence, I am agreeing with you and disagreeing with him.

You're making a statement to Richard, when if you were reading the other thread, that by your own reckoning was a waste of time, you'd know what Richard thought.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information