• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the better all rounder, Kapil Dev vs Ian Botham?

The better all rounder, Kapil o Botham?

• Total voters

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Don’t care that much about the comparison but imagine these blokes in a modern T20 setting, with modern bats.

Opening the batting, or at very least top 4, and opening the bowling.

In terms of the comparison as all rounders, it’s Botham in tests, just, being a better batsman in that format and therefore able to bat 6 or 7 and be a frontline bowler. Kapil in ODIs as a guy who can bat 7 and therefore balance a side better imo

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Don’t care that much about the comparison but imagine these blokes in a modern T20 setting, with modern bats.

Opening the batting, or at very least top 4, and opening the bowling.

In terms of the comparison as all rounders, it’s Botham in tests, just, being a better batsman in that format and therefore able to bat 6 or 7 and be a frontline bowler. Kapil in ODIs as a guy who can bat 7 and therefore balance a side better imo
Kapil has a better batting and bowling record against West Indies in West Indies compared to all the other 3 Allrounders.

number11

U19 Captain
Both have a good case. Botham had more magic, greater peaks. I do think he was the more gifted AR. But he failed to make an impact v WI which was the benchmakr in his day. Dev was less impactful with bat or ball - but he raised his game and was an inspirational leader for India. He also toiled away in India.
I'd pick Botham in tests. Botham had that aura. Dev honestly did not.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Kapil has a better batting and bowling record against West Indies in West Indies compared to all the other 3 Allrounders.
did we ask him to sh** the bed against every other opposition? 🤣

all this kapil bowled in india blah, kapil has a worse record outside india though? 33 away average jeeeez

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Yes but subconsciously it could play a part I mean after all, even the top athletes are human not machines.

IMO similar thing happened with Warne and India. I've heard stories that whenever Aust toured India during Warne's time, he was often invited to Tendulkar's house for dinner and at times Warne was spending more time in Tendulkar house hold than he was in Aust set up. This was well documented in buchanan's autobiography 'Some how I coach' and how it some times affect Warne's iron will to rip India and especially Tendulkar apart.
So you are saying that Warner is secretly friends with the English team?