• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's second-greatest bowler post-1960

New Zealand's second-best bowler post-1960?

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The best on the list is, IMO, Bruce Taylor.
I saw him on his debut series in India. He played his third test in Delhi. He had already taken 13 wickets in the three innings he had bowled in (with 2 five wicket hauls) but did not do much of note in Delhi. I was barely 15 so my memory may not be so good but I have a clear recollection of Venkataraghvan's 12 wickets in the match.

India needed 73 to win in the second innings but there wasn't much time and it was beginning to drizzle. I remember the entire Indian side padded up and sitting on the boundary to run in if a wicket fell and save time. Sardesai hooked the first ball Taylor bowled in that innings for four and India scored the runs in 9.1 overs at 8 runs per over.

My recollection is that Collinge was a better bowler - at least in that match. They were a very good looking lot, the youngsters in that Newzealand side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As an all-round (test and ODI) bowler, I'd go with Bond as well. Purely for results (albeit brief) on the board and his ability to tear through a quality batting line-up.
Should make this clear - as I'm no fan of blurring together the two game-forms, this is Test-only. In ODIs, Bond is clearly New Zealand's best of the later era, Hadlee the best of the former.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FWIW my rankings of them.

R Hadlee
J Cowie
S Bond
B Taylor
R Collinge
F Cameron
C Cairns
D Nash
D Motz
S Doull

The rest (apart from Dayle Hadlee I can't remember the rest listed)

EDIT: I expect Mills, Southee and Franklin to edge out a few on that list if they keep bowling like they have been as well.
Good list that. Would probably have Nash ahead of Cairns and Cameron, but not too far off mine. Definately agree with your top 3 of Sir Dick, Cowie & Bond. Chatfield & Morrison deserve a mention

Flem274*

123/5
Good list that. Would probably have Nash ahead of Cairns and Cameron, but not too far off mine. Definately agree with your top 3 of Sir Dick, Cowie & Bond. Chatfield & Morrison deserve a mention
Plain forgot them tbh. I'd definitely have both ahead of Doull easily. Would have to think hard about where they'd come in the list though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder if a "how good would they have been but for injury" thread for Kiwi bowlers might be interesting, actually. Will leave it to someone else if they fancy, however. :p

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apart from Hadlee I can't see any great bowlers from New Zealand. Bond injured too often to be considered :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why, pray, is Morrison so much more obvious than any of the above?
Just put your paranoia to one side for a second. You know damn well that Danny Morrison is a far stronger candidate than at least half of that list, the only reason he's not there is because you forgot about him. But if you want to cover it up by producing an argument showing Dayle Hadlee, Lance Cairns and Simon Doull are better candidates then go ahead, it would make interesting reading.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My first thought was Danny Morrison but he isnt listed.

Im not saying my first thought is the correct answer to the question (as Im sure there are others eg Cairns with better records) but when I think NZ quicks he is the guy after Hadlee that springs to mind.