• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's second-greatest bowler post-1960

New Zealand's second-best bowler post-1960?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
No Vettori?
Nope. Wouldn't have him in a kiwi all time XI either. He's our best spinner ever but that doesn't mean he's better than that lot. Generally our seamers do just fine.

I respect Vettori's ability immensely and he's an absolutely superb ODI bowler and he'd be amongst the best there but in tests he's not in the same league as those ranked as a bowler.

Amazed Dayle Hadlee made this list of Richards actualy.

Flem274*

123/5
Our winters are crappier if not worse than yours TBH - not saying it isn't a factor, merely that we haven't had quite such the problems that NZ have.

Been far from problem-free, of course.
Andrew Caddick? Darren Gough?:p

I wouldn't say its the main contributor but I bet it doesn't help.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazed Dayle Hadlee made this list of Richards actualy.
Kinda criminal that I put him in there and not Ewan Chatfield, actually. Was originally thinking of him but somehow forgot.

If a Mod could edit him in it'd be appreciated - if possible, leaving Pringle-and-Snedden as the last on the list.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Purely based on statistics you'd have to go for Bruce Taylor, and given the fact that he was comfortably New Zealand's best ever Left-armer, I think that adds a nice balance.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Purely based on statistics you'd have to go for Bruce Taylor, and given the fact that he was comfortably New Zealand's best ever Left-armer, I think that adds a nice balance.
That's news to me. Batted left-handed, but right-arm bowler.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was not aware of that.
What can I say? I know all the little secrets.

He played in five annual South Island primary school tournaments in a row, which is staggering considering most kids only made it into their province's side in form one or two.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Very true. Someone still has to be second best though.:)
Yes sure. I wish the thread said 'second-best' instead of 'second-greatest' though. Cant imagine anyone from this lot having the word greatest tagged to them even with a prefix like 'second' :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If I have to chose NZL's finest after Hadlee since 1960, it would be Bond.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If I have to chose NZL's finest after Hadlee since 1960, it would be Bond.
Unfortunately, we're not allowed to.

As an all-round (test and ODI) bowler, I'd go with Bond as well. Purely for results (albeit brief) on the board and his ability to tear through a quality batting line-up.