• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Great Articles of Cricket

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay.

Good idea though I remember starting a thread for cricket articles long time back. Wonder if I can locate it.

Before I post an article on a cricketer, here is an article on one of the finest cricket writers ever.

Sir Neville Cardus.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

S F Barnes
- Born at Smethwick, Staffordshire, April 19, 1873
- Died at Chadsmoor, Staffordshire, December 26, 1967

Wisden obituary
Sydney Francis Barnes was the second son of five children of Richard Barnes who spent nearly all his life in Staffordshire and worked for a Birmingham firm for 63 years. The father played only a little cricket and Sydney Barnes averred that he never had more than three hours' coaching, but he practised assiduously to perfect the leg-break after learning the off-break from the Smethwick professional, Billy Ward of Warwickshire.

Most cricketers and students of the game belonging to the period in which S.F. Barnes played were agreed that he was the bowler of the century. Australians as well as English voted him unanimously the greatest. Clem Hill, the famous Australian left-handed batsman, who in successive Test innings scored 99, 98, 97, v. A.C. MacLaren's England team of 1901-02, told me that on a perfect wicket Barnes could swing the new ball in and out "very late", could spin from the ground, pitch on the leg stump and miss the off. At Melbourne, in December 1911, Barnes in five overs overwhelmed Kelleway, Bardsley, Hill and Armstrong for a single.

Hill was clean bowled by him. "The ball pitched outside my leg-stump, safe to the push off my pads, I thought. Before I could `pick up' my bat, my off-stump was knocked silly."

Barnes was creative, one of the first bowlers really to use the seam of a new ball and combine swing so subtly with spin that few batsmen could distinguish one from the other.

He made a name before a new ball was available to an attack every so many runs or overs. He entered first-class cricket at a time when one ball had to suffice for the whole duration of the batting side's innings.

He was professional in the Lancashire League when A.C. MacLaren, hearing of his skill, invited him to the nets at Old Trafford. "He thumped me on the left thigh. He hit my gloves from a length. He actually said, `Sorry, sir!' and I said, `Don't be sorry, Barnes. You're coming to Australia with me.'"

MacLaren on the strength of a net practice with Barnes chose him for his England team in Australia of 1901-02. In the first Test of that rubber, Barnes took five for 65 in 35.1 overs, and one for 74 in 16 overs. In the second Test he took six for 42 and seven for 121 and he bowled 80 six-ball overs in this game.

He broke down, leg strain, in the third Test and could bowl no more for MacLaren, who winning the first Test, lost the next four of the rubber.

Barnes bowled regularly for Lancashire in 1902, taking more than a hundred wickets in the season, averaging around 20. Wisden actually found fault with his attack this year, stating that he needed to cultivate an "off-break". In the late nineties he had appeared almost anonymously in the Warwickshire XI.

Throughout his career he remained mysteriously aloof, appearing in the full sky of first-class cricket like a meteor -- declaring the death of the most princely of batsmen! He preferred the reward and comparative indolence of Saturday league matches to the daily toil of the county tourney.

Here is one of the reasons of his absence from the England XI between 1902 and 1907. He didn't go to Australia as one of P.F. Warner's team of 1903-04 and took no part of the 1905 England v. Australia rubber. The future historian of cricket may well gape and wonder why, in the crucial Test of 1902, Barnes didn't play for England at Manchester, where the rubber went to Australia by three runs only.

Barnes had bowled for England at Sheffield in the third and previous Test, taking six for 49 and one for 50. It is as likely as conjecture about cricket ever can be likely that had Barnes taken part in the famous Manchester Test of 1902 England wouldn't have lost the rubber by a hair's breadth.

He was in those days not an easy man to handle on the field of play. There was a Mephistophelian aspect about him. He didn't play cricket out of any green field starry-eyed idealism. He rightly considered that his talents were worth estimating in cash values. In his old age he mellowed, yet remained humorously cynical.

Sir Donald Bradman argued that W.J. O'Reilly must have been a greater bowler than Barnes because he commanded every ball developed in Barnes's day -- plus the googly. I told Barnes of Bradman's remark. "It's quite true," he said, "I never bowled the `googly.'" Then with a glint in his eye, he added, "I never needed it."

Against Australia he took 106 wickets, average 21.58. Only Trumble and Peel have improved on these figures in Tests between England and Australia (I won't count Turner's 101 wickets at 16.53 because he bowled in conditions not known to Barnes and Trumble).

Barnes had no opportunities to pick up easy victims. He played only against Australia and South Africa and, in all Test matches, his haul was 189 at 16.43 each.

On matting in South Africa when South Africa's batsmanship, at its greatest, was represented by H.W. Taylor, A.D. Nourse, L.J. Tancred, J.W. Zulch, in 1913-14, he was unplayable, with 49 wickets in four Tests at 10.93 each. It was said he refused to play in the fifth match because he contended the South Africans had not carried out their promise of special reward if he took part in the tour.

In the second Test at Johannesburg, Barnes took 17 wickets for 159, a record which stood until 1956 when Laker laid low Australia at Old Trafford with his unique figures of 19 for 90.

Yet against Barnes's fantastically swinging, bouncing, late-turning attack on that 1913-14 tour, Herbie Taylor scored 508 runs, average 50.80, perhaps the most skilful of all Test performances by a batsman.

Barnes was a man of character. At Sydney on the 1911-12 tour, J.W.H.T. Douglas opened the England attack using the new ball with Frank Foster. Barnes was furious. He sulked as he sent down 35 overs for three wickets and 107 runs (in the match he took only four for 179). England lost by 146 runs.

At Melbourne, Australia batted first and Barnes this time had the new ball. We all know with what results. Australia suffered defeat -- and also in the ensuing three games. The destruction wreaked by Barnes, and on all his great days, was mostly done by the ball which, bowled from a splendid height, seemed to swing in to the leg stump then spin away from the pitch, threatening the off-stump. Barnes assured me that he actually turned the ball by finger twist.

The wonder of his career is that he took 77 of his 106 Australian Test wickets on the wickets of Australia when they were flawless and the scourge of all ordinarily good bowlers. He clean bowled Victor Trumper for 0 at Sydney in the 1907-08 rubber; then Fielder and J.N. Crawford in the following Test dismissed Trumper for a pair, so Trumper was out for 0 in three successive Test innings.

Barnes remained a deadly bowler long after he went out of first-class cricket. So shrewdly did he conserve his energy that in 1928 when he was in his mid-fifties, the West Indies team of that year faced him in a club match and unanimously agreed he was the best they had encountered in the season.

For Staffordshire, in his fifty-sixth year, he took 76 wickets at 8.21 each. Round about this period a young player, later to become famous in international company, was one of the Lancashire Second XI playing against Staffordshire.

His captain won the toss and two Lancashire lads went forth to open the innings against Barnes. As this colt was number six in the batting order he put on his blazer and was about to leave the pavilion to watch Barnes from behind. But his captain told him to go back to the dressing room and get on his pads. "But," said the colt, "I'm not in until number six and I'd like to look at Barnes." His captain insisted. The young colt returned to the dressing room. And there, he said "there were four of us all padded up waiting. And we were all out in the middle and back again in half an hour."

Barnes had a splendid upright action, right arm straight over. He ran on easy strides, not a penn'orth of energy wasted. He fingered a cricket ball sensitively, like a violinist his fiddle. He always attacked. "Why do these bowlers today send down so many balls the batsman needn't play?" he asked while watching a Test match many years ago. "I didn't. I never gave'em any rest."

His hatchet face and his suggestion of physical and mental leanness and keenness were part of Barnes's cricket and outlook on the game. He was relentless, a chill wind of antagonism blew from him on the sunniest day. As I say, he mellowed in full age and retirement.

He came to Lord's and other grounds for Test matches, even in his ninety-fifth year, leading blind Wilfred Rhodes about. And to the end of his life he worked for his living, drawing up legal and other documents for Staffordshire County Council in the most beautiful copperplate writing he learned as a boy.

As we think of the unsmiling destroyer of all the batsmen that came his way, let us also remember Barnes immortalised in that lovely verse of Alan Ross:

Then, elbows linked, but straight as sailors

On a tilting deck, they move. One, square-shouldered as a tailor's

Model, leans over whispering in the other's ear:

`Go easy, Steps here. This end bowling'.Turning, I watch Barnes guide Rhodes into fresher air,

As if to continue an innings, though Rhodes may only play by ear.

Other tributes to Barnes included:

Arthur Gilligan, President of M.C.C.:
He will be mourned by cricketers the world over. He was the finest bowler there ever was and a magnificent personality after his playing days.

S.C. Griffith, Secretary of M.C.C.:
The extraordinary thing about him was that all his contemporaries considered him the greatest bowler. There was never any doubts in their minds. This must have been unique.

Wilfred Rhodes, who celebrated his 90th birthday in October, 1967, one of the greatest of cricket's all-rounders, and one of the few remaining contemporaries of Barnes in the England side:
Barnes was a very fine medium-paced bowler, the best I ever played with. He had a lovely run-up to the wicket, carrying the ball in his left hand until he was only two paces from the crease and then transferring it to his right. He kept a perfect length and direction and, if you wanted to field close to the wicket say, at short leg, you could stand up to the batsman without any fear. He was quite a decent bat, far better than he was made out to be and too good for a number eleven. He was also a very good fielder.

Herbert Strudwick, the old Surrey and England wicketkeeper (now 88):
He was the greatest bowler I ever kept wicket to, for he sent down something different each ball of the over. He could turn it either way in remarkable fashion and I shall never forget keeping to him for the first time in a Gentlemen v. Players match at The Oval. His opening delivery pitched outside the leg stump and flew over the top of the off stump. I said to a team-mate: "What sort of bowler have we here?" I soon found out. Sydney could do almost anything with the ball. On matting wickets in South Africa where I toured with him, he was practically unplayable.​

Barnes took 14 wickets for 13 runs, less than one run apiece, playing for Staffordshire against Cheshire in 1909.

Against Northumberland he took 16 for 93 in one day. Even an All-Indian team could barely muster two runs a wicket against him in 1911 when he took 14 for 29.

Fifteen years before he was selected for England he signed for Rishton in the Lancashire League for £3 10s. a week, which included pay for his duties as a groundsman. He received an extra 10s. 6d. for taking six wickets or more in a match, and 7s. 6d. for scoring 50.

Mr. Leslie Duckworth, in his admirable book: S. F. Barnes -- Master Bowler, published in July 1967, states that Barnes in all cricket took 6,229 wickets, average 8.33 as follows:
SUMMARY OF ALL MATCHES

Code:
[B]               Overs	Maidens	Runs	Wickets	Aver.[/B]
Test matches	1313.3	358	3106	189	16.43
County cricket	1931.2	633	4456	226	19.71
Other F Class  	2028.3	620	4600	304	15.13
Staffordshire	5457.3	1647	11754	1441	8.15
League 'n Club	12802	3532	27974	4069	6.03
[B]GRAND TOTAL  23509.3	6784	51890	6229	8.33[/B]
Note : The tribute by Sir Neville Cardus is based mainly on the one he wrote for the 1963 Centenary Edition of Wisden.

- Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1910

- He remains the only man to be picked for England whilst playing league and
minor cricket. He took 1432 wickets for Staffordshire at less that 9 runs each, and played for the county until he was over 60​

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

S F Barnes
- Born at Smethwick, Staffordshire, April 19, 1873
- Died at Chadsmoor, Staffordshire, December 26, 1967

Wisden obituary
Sydney Francis Barnes was the second son of five children of Richard Barnes who spent nearly all his life in Staffordshire and worked for a Birmingham firm for 63 years. The father played only a little cricket and Sydney Barnes averred that he never had more than three hours' coaching, but he practised assiduously to perfect the leg-break after learning the off-break from the Smethwick professional, Billy Ward of Warwickshire.

Most cricketers and students of the game belonging to the period in which S.F. Barnes played were agreed that he was the bowler of the century. Australians as well as English voted him unanimously the greatest. Clem Hill, the famous Australian left-handed batsman, who in successive Test innings scored 99, 98, 97, v. A.C. MacLaren's England team of 1901-02, told me that on a perfect wicket Barnes could swing the new ball in and out "very late", could spin from the ground, pitch on the leg stump and miss the off. At Melbourne, in December 1911, Barnes in five overs overwhelmed Kelleway, Bardsley, Hill and Armstrong for a single.

Hill was clean bowled by him. "The ball pitched outside my leg-stump, safe to the push off my pads, I thought. Before I could `pick up' my bat, my off-stump was knocked silly."

Barnes was creative, one of the first bowlers really to use the seam of a new ball and combine swing so subtly with spin that few batsmen could distinguish one from the other.

He made a name before a new ball was available to an attack every so many runs or overs. He entered first-class cricket at a time when one ball had to suffice for the whole duration of the batting side's innings.

He was professional in the Lancashire League when A.C. MacLaren, hearing of his skill, invited him to the nets at Old Trafford. "He thumped me on the left thigh. He hit my gloves from a length. He actually said, `Sorry, sir!' and I said, `Don't be sorry, Barnes. You're coming to Australia with me.'"

MacLaren on the strength of a net practice with Barnes chose him for his England team in Australia of 1901-02. In the first Test of that rubber, Barnes took five for 65 in 35.1 overs, and one for 74 in 16 overs. In the second Test he took six for 42 and seven for 121 and he bowled 80 six-ball overs in this game.

He broke down, leg strain, in the third Test and could bowl no more for MacLaren, who winning the first Test, lost the next four of the rubber.

Barnes bowled regularly for Lancashire in 1902, taking more than a hundred wickets in the season, averaging around 20. Wisden actually found fault with his attack this year, stating that he needed to cultivate an "off-break". In the late nineties he had appeared almost anonymously in the Warwickshire XI.

Throughout his career he remained mysteriously aloof, appearing in the full sky of first-class cricket like a meteor -- declaring the death of the most princely of batsmen! He preferred the reward and comparative indolence of Saturday league matches to the daily toil of the county tourney.

Here is one of the reasons of his absence from the England XI between 1902 and 1907. He didn't go to Australia as one of P.F. Warner's team of 1903-04 and took no part of the 1905 England v. Australia rubber. The future historian of cricket may well gape and wonder why, in the crucial Test of 1902, Barnes didn't play for England at Manchester, where the rubber went to Australia by three runs only.

Barnes had bowled for England at Sheffield in the third and previous Test, taking six for 49 and one for 50. It is as likely as conjecture about cricket ever can be likely that had Barnes taken part in the famous Manchester Test of 1902 England wouldn't have lost the rubber by a hair's breadth.

He was in those days not an easy man to handle on the field of play. There was a Mephistophelian aspect about him. He didn't play cricket out of any green field starry-eyed idealism. He rightly considered that his talents were worth estimating in cash values. In his old age he mellowed, yet remained humorously cynical.

Sir Donald Bradman argued that W.J. O'Reilly must have been a greater bowler than Barnes because he commanded every ball developed in Barnes's day -- plus the googly. I told Barnes of Bradman's remark. "It's quite true," he said, "I never bowled the `googly.'" Then with a glint in his eye, he added, "I never needed it."

Against Australia he took 106 wickets, average 21.58. Only Trumble and Peel have improved on these figures in Tests between England and Australia (I won't count Turner's 101 wickets at 16.53 because he bowled in conditions not known to Barnes and Trumble).

Barnes had no opportunities to pick up easy victims. He played only against Australia and South Africa and, in all Test matches, his haul was 189 at 16.43 each.

On matting in South Africa when South Africa's batsmanship, at its greatest, was represented by H.W. Taylor, A.D. Nourse, L.J. Tancred, J.W. Zulch, in 1913-14, he was unplayable, with 49 wickets in four Tests at 10.93 each. It was said he refused to play in the fifth match because he contended the South Africans had not carried out their promise of special reward if he took part in the tour.

In the second Test at Johannesburg, Barnes took 17 wickets for 159, a record which stood until 1956 when Laker laid low Australia at Old Trafford with his unique figures of 19 for 90.

Yet against Barnes's fantastically swinging, bouncing, late-turning attack on that 1913-14 tour, Herbie Taylor scored 508 runs, average 50.80, perhaps the most skilful of all Test performances by a batsman.

Barnes was a man of character. At Sydney on the 1911-12 tour, J.W.H.T. Douglas opened the England attack using the new ball with Frank Foster. Barnes was furious. He sulked as he sent down 35 overs for three wickets and 107 runs (in the match he took only four for 179). England lost by 146 runs.

At Melbourne, Australia batted first and Barnes this time had the new ball. We all know with what results. Australia suffered defeat -- and also in the ensuing three games. The destruction wreaked by Barnes, and on all his great days, was mostly done by the ball which, bowled from a splendid height, seemed to swing in to the leg stump then spin away from the pitch, threatening the off-stump. Barnes assured me that he actually turned the ball by finger twist.

The wonder of his career is that he took 77 of his 106 Australian Test wickets on the wickets of Australia when they were flawless and the scourge of all ordinarily good bowlers. He clean bowled Victor Trumper for 0 at Sydney in the 1907-08 rubber; then Fielder and J.N. Crawford in the following Test dismissed Trumper for a pair, so Trumper was out for 0 in three successive Test innings.

Barnes remained a deadly bowler long after he went out of first-class cricket. So shrewdly did he conserve his energy that in 1928 when he was in his mid-fifties, the West Indies team of that year faced him in a club match and unanimously agreed he was the best they had encountered in the season.

For Staffordshire, in his fifty-sixth year, he took 76 wickets at 8.21 each. Round about this period a young player, later to become famous in international company, was one of the Lancashire Second XI playing against Staffordshire.

His captain won the toss and two Lancashire lads went forth to open the innings against Barnes. As this colt was number six in the batting order he put on his blazer and was about to leave the pavilion to watch Barnes from behind. But his captain told him to go back to the dressing room and get on his pads. "But," said the colt, "I'm not in until number six and I'd like to look at Barnes." His captain insisted. The young colt returned to the dressing room. And there, he said "there were four of us all padded up waiting. And we were all out in the middle and back again in half an hour."

Barnes had a splendid upright action, right arm straight over. He ran on easy strides, not a penn'orth of energy wasted. He fingered a cricket ball sensitively, like a violinist his fiddle. He always attacked. "Why do these bowlers today send down so many balls the batsman needn't play?" he asked while watching a Test match many years ago. "I didn't. I never gave'em any rest."

His hatchet face and his suggestion of physical and mental leanness and keenness were part of Barnes's cricket and outlook on the game. He was relentless, a chill wind of antagonism blew from him on the sunniest day. As I say, he mellowed in full age and retirement.

He came to Lord's and other grounds for Test matches, even in his ninety-fifth year, leading blind Wilfred Rhodes about. And to the end of his life he worked for his living, drawing up legal and other documents for Staffordshire County Council in the most beautiful copperplate writing he learned as a boy.

As we think of the unsmiling destroyer of all the batsmen that came his way, let us also remember Barnes immortalised in that lovely verse of Alan Ross:

Then, elbows linked, but straight as sailors

On a tilting deck, they move. One, square-shouldered as a tailor's

Model, leans over whispering in the other's ear:

`Go easy, Steps here. This end bowling'.Turning, I watch Barnes guide Rhodes into fresher air,

As if to continue an innings, though Rhodes may only play by ear.

Other tributes to Barnes included:

Arthur Gilligan, President of M.C.C.:
He will be mourned by cricketers the world over. He was the finest bowler there ever was and a magnificent personality after his playing days.

S.C. Griffith, Secretary of M.C.C.:
The extraordinary thing about him was that all his contemporaries considered him the greatest bowler. There was never any doubts in their minds. This must have been unique.

Wilfred Rhodes, who celebrated his 90th birthday in October, 1967, one of the greatest of cricket's all-rounders, and one of the few remaining contemporaries of Barnes in the England side:
Barnes was a very fine medium-paced bowler, the best I ever played with. He had a lovely run-up to the wicket, carrying the ball in his left hand until he was only two paces from the crease and then transferring it to his right. He kept a perfect length and direction and, if you wanted to field close to the wicket say, at short leg, you could stand up to the batsman without any fear. He was quite a decent bat, far better than he was made out to be and too good for a number eleven. He was also a very good fielder.

Herbert Strudwick, the old Surrey and England wicketkeeper (now 88):
He was the greatest bowler I ever kept wicket to, for he sent down something different each ball of the over. He could turn it either way in remarkable fashion and I shall never forget keeping to him for the first time in a Gentlemen v. Players match at The Oval. His opening delivery pitched outside the leg stump and flew over the top of the off stump. I said to a team-mate: "What sort of bowler have we here?" I soon found out. Sydney could do almost anything with the ball. On matting wickets in South Africa where I toured with him, he was practically unplayable.​

Barnes took 14 wickets for 13 runs, less than one run apiece, playing for Staffordshire against Cheshire in 1909.

Against Northumberland he took 16 for 93 in one day. Even an All-Indian team could barely muster two runs a wicket against him in 1911 when he took 14 for 29.

Fifteen years before he was selected for England he signed for Rishton in the Lancashire League for £3 10s. a week, which included pay for his duties as a groundsman. He received an extra 10s. 6d. for taking six wickets or more in a match, and 7s. 6d. for scoring 50.

Mr. Leslie Duckworth, in his admirable book: S. F. Barnes -- Master Bowler, published in July 1967, states that Barnes in all cricket took 6,229 wickets, average 8.33 as follows:
SUMMARY OF ALL MATCHES

Code:
[B]               Overs	Maidens	Runs	Wickets	Aver.[/B]
Test matches	1313.3	358	3106	189	16.43
County cricket	1931.2	633	4456	226	19.71
Other F Class  	2028.3	620	4600	304	15.13
Staffordshire	5457.3	1647	11754	1441	8.15
League 'n Club	12802	3532	27974	4069	6.03
[B]GRAND TOTAL  23509.3	6784	51890	6229	8.33[/B]
Note : The tribute by Sir Neville Cardus is based mainly on the one he wrote for the 1963 Centenary Edition of Wisden.

- Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1910

- He remains the only man to be picked for England whilst playing league and
minor cricket. He took 1432 wickets for Staffordshire at less that 9 runs each, and played for the county until he was over 60​
What a fabulous obituary, I wish I'd read that years ago.

One regret I've always had with Barnes is that I've always wished there'd been an understanding captain somewhere. Someone who accepted he was special and was willing to bend over backwards to help him achieve everything he could. Someone who would help him appear less "awkward".

Maybe, if he'd played First-Class cricket between the ages of 20 and 45 (maybe even older) and played 40 or 50 Tests, as he so easily could have, he'd have broken so many records and established such a phenominal set of figures that the notion of him not being the greatest bowler in history (or at worst since the turn of the 20th-century) would be absurd and as little-countenanced as that that Bradman was not the greatest batsman. As it is, there is still enough of a small case that some have not even heard of him (as everyone who knows a thing about cricket has heard of Bradman) and others are able to argue that he was not the greatest bowler in history, which cannot be dismissed out of hand as it should be able to be.

Barnes is a remarkable, yet in so many ways so unfulfilled, case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, I never knew about the undiagnosed cancer. That's really sad. :(

Anyway, always good to read Marshall articles, there's a few bits and pieces (more positive ones) in there that I didn't know. Beyond doubt the greatest seam-bowler of the 20th\21st-century for my money, and a wonderful ambassador for the game.

One regret I've always had in his career, incidentally, was that first series. He should never have been playing - he should have started in England in 1980. Like so many cricketers (both those involved in that and those involved in Test cricket), World Series Cricket distorted his career.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I give you Tom Horan, under the pseudonym "Felix", throwing a hissy over the Aussie Board's greatest ****-up. I believe I am right in saying that this piece has not been published since its original appearance in the Australasian. In the spirit of history-making, then:

"I regret very much that the recent action of the Board of Control in ostracising Clem Hill and his five comrades compels me to make the deliberate statement that these few delegates who have done this thing must be regarded ass neither more or less than 'wreckers' of Australian cricket. It is a sad business. If these few delegates, headed by Mr. [William] M'Elhone, had acted like business men with cool heads and sound judgment, the thing would never have happened. But they came apparently bent on destruction, and nothing but destruction would satisfy them. So they destroyed. I suppose there is nothing finer in the history of cricket throughout the world than the performances of Trumper and Hill in England. Their names, are a household word, not only in Australia, but in England. They and their comrades have been the biggest and the best advertisement Australia ever had. They have travelled and played throughout the English counties, and by their prowess have spread the name and fame of Australia everywhere. I remember an old Yorkshireman telling me that when the workmen in Sheffield heard that Trumper was batting, the cry immediately went up: "Knock off work; Trumper is batting." And they would go and see the 'star among the stars.' These cricketers of Australia, play day after day in England for four or five months, travel at night, and take the field sometimes in cold and wet, and have all the physical fatigue and mental worry of prolonged battles in Test matches. And for what? To be shunted by a few persons who, so far as I can judge, are not considering cricket in the least, but are full of the importance of being able to say: 'If you don't do as I wish, out you go.'

"After the board's treatment of the Hill and M'Alister incident, I felt that the delegates were about to do their best to make matters run smoothly all round. I thought and hoped that they had made up their minds to do nothing but what would be fair and just, not only to our own cricketers, but to the Marylebone Club and the English counties. Alas for my hopes! The autocrat touched the button, and the players were shunted. It is no wonder that the feeling of indignation throughout Australia is intense. I have been in the thick of cricket for forty years, and I consider this the greatest crisis the game has ever known in Australia. If these few 'wreckers' are permitted to have their way, cricket will have a set-back in this country that it will not recover from in twenty years.

"And it is not ourselves alone that we have to consider. There is the Marylebone Club, there are the English counties, and the great triangular contest. These contests are the first of the kind ever placed on a cricket programme. All the world is looking forward to them, and all the world will wonder that four or five men 'drest in a little brief authority' can by a mere word destroy Australia's chance by banishing some of the beet cricketers that ever entered a field. It is lamentable. Having regard to the the circumstances, I honestly believe that the Marylebone Club would be perfectly justified in declining to receive a second-rate team. The English counties will have no 'gates' when second-raters are about, and so their liabilities, instead of being decreased, will in all probability become heavier. I have said on prior occasions that the Board of Control had my best wishes, but this last act is so utterly inexcusable and so strongly marked by the extremists' recklessness, that any words I could use would not be too emphatic in condemnation of this wretched act of wreckage by certain members of tho Board of Control."

So there.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What a fabulous obituary, I wish I'd read that years ago.

One regret I've always had with Barnes is that I've always wished there'd been an understanding captain somewhere. Someone who accepted he was special and was willing to bend over backwards to help him achieve everything he could. Someone who would help him appear less "awkward".

Maybe, if he'd played First-Class cricket between the ages of 20 and 45 (maybe even older) and played 40 or 50 Tests, as he so easily could have, he'd have broken so many records and established such a phenominal set of figures that the notion of him not being the greatest bowler in history (or at worst since the turn of the 20th-century) would be absurd and as little-countenanced as that that Bradman was not the greatest batsman. As it is, there is still enough of a small case that some have not even heard of him (as everyone who knows a thing about cricket has heard of Bradman) and others are able to argue that he was not the greatest bowler in history, which cannot be dismissed out of hand as it should be able to be.

Barnes is a remarkable, yet in so many ways so unfulfilled, case.
Very well said Richard.

Take all the trouble to get your hands on all the stuff written about him and, trust me, you wont regret a single dollar spent on getting the stuff nor a single minute reading it. Unfortunately there isn't much but whatever there is, is fascinating because of the incredible bowler and person that Barnes was.

You are spot on about what he would have done to cricket records had he played more test cricket. I dont argue this point forcefully for I have realised long back it doesn't serve any purpose but he was really something and the English authorities, including the selectors, missed a great player for so long. Its incredible. If he hadn't been spotted in the leagues he would have been lost to posterity for ever - in the wider context.

For me, when I chose an all time world XI the four players who automatically get penned in first are

1. Bradman
  2. Barnes
  3. Hobbs
  4. Sobers

I have often debated .with myself :) , as to how I would rank those four as cricketers and have never been able to come to any satisfactory criteria to do so. Hence I present them here in alphabetical order. I stress this point to show how high Barnes stands, in my humble opinion, amongst the greatest of cricketing greats.

The best opener, The best middle order batsman (blasphemy I know), The best all rounder and the best bowler.

Amen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, when I chose an all time world XI the four players who automatically get penned in first are

1. Bradman
  2. Barnes
  3. Hobbs
  4. Sobers

I have often debated .with myself :) , as to how I would rank those four as cricketers and have never been able to come to any satisfactory criteria to do so. Hence I present them here in alphabetical order. I stress this point to show how high Barnes stands, in my humble opinion, amongst the greatest of cricketing greats.

The best opener, The best middle order batsman (blasphemy I know), The best all rounder and the best bowler.

Amen.
Yeah, absolutely, me too. TBH, you know I have never been terribly enthusiastic about the all-time-XI idea, as I made my mind up about my combination several years ago and it is unlikely to change in my lifetime, as I feel I know all the Earth-shattering details I now can. I too would pick those four first. I must have mentioned it to you before, of course, but this is how I'd go
Hobbs
Sutcliffe (not merely best two openers, but best opening pair)
Bradman (greatest batsman)
Headley (second-greatest batsman)
Sobers (very possibly either third or fourth-greatest middle-order batsmen, and also a very capable bowler)
Miller (greatest all-rounder)
Gilchrist (greatest wicketkeeper-batsman)
Imran Khan (second-greatest all-rounder)
Hadlee (possibly second-greatest seam-bowler and also a damn fine batsman)
Marshall (greatest seam-bowler)
Barnes (greatest bowler)
I too would pick Barnes immediately after Sobers and Bradman.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I made my mind up about my combination several years ago and it is unlikely to change in my lifetime,
Quality of cricket going to go way south during your lifetime? Or do you just plan to off yourself if England don't win the next World Cup? :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's highly unlikely there'll be any better cricketers than those lot in my lifetime, I think. Obviously, if there is I'll certainly consider him.

neville cardus

International Debutant
  1. Bradman
  2. Barnes
  3. Hobbs
  4. Sobers
My first four are almost identical, but I prefer Grace to Hobbs -- so much so that my merit-ordered list runs thus:

1. Grace
  2. Bradman
  3. Barnes
  4. Sobers

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I should have added for Sobers, the best left handed batsman in the history of the game and, in all probability, the greatest all round fielder of all time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jack Hearne

Wisden obituary

HEARNE, JOHN THOMAS, one of the finest bowlers the game has ever known, who played for Middlesex and England died on April 17 after a long illness at Chalfont St. Giles in Buckinghamshire, the place of his birth on May 3, 1867. From 1891 to 1914 he held a prominent place among the very best bowlers, and finished his career with a record of 3,060 wickets, an aggregate surpassed only by W. Rhodes, 4,188, A. P. Freeman, 3,775, and C. W. L. Parker, 3,274.

Right-hand medium-pace, he took a fairly long run up to the wicket, and it would be difficult to recall a bowler with a more beautiful delivery, made as his left hand pointed down the pitch. Standing nearly five feet eleven inches, he brought the ball over with a perfectly straight arm, and such was his command of length that a batsman might wait many overs for a ball from which he was certain to score. Even on the best of wickets he got on quite an appreciable off-break and, varying his pace cleverly, he used at times to send down a fast ball which swung with his arm. On a bowler's wicket he could dismiss the strongest sides, and on one of the crumbling pitches which occasionally bothered batsmen forty years ago he was simply unplayable. The leading bowler, not only for Middlesex but for the M.C.C. in the days when the club programme included quite a number of first-class matches, he was called upon for an amount of work which would have tired out most men in a very few years, but his splendid methods served him so well that a career in first-class cricket, which opened in 1888, did not close until the 1914 war, and in 1923 at Edinburgh he took six wickets for 64 for Middlesex against Scotland.

Jack Hearne came of famous cricket stock. A nephew of old Tom Hearne and of George Hearne, both of whom played for Bucks and Middlesex, before the latter went to Catford Bridge, he was a cousin of G. G. Hearne, Frank Hearne and Alec Hearne, all distinguished professionals for Kent. His brother, Walter Hearne, also a good Kent bowler, broke down through knee trouble when he looked to have many years of success before him and then became scorer, as did Alec Hearne when his cousin died.

J. T. used to relate how chance helped him into first-class cricket. I was born and bred in Buckinghamshire, which, in my young days, did not have a county club or I might have got no further than that, but A. J. Webbe, having watched him on the Evelyn School ground, where Hearne coached, asked him to play in a Middlesex Colts match, and then against the Australians in 1888. He took two cheap wickets, but a further invitation for the next match against Surrey could not be accepted, one of the masters advising him that he was not qualified. By living with his brother in London this difficulty was overcome, but he still worked at Evelyn School during the summer, and in June 1890 he received a telegram asking him to play for Middlesex that very day.

I turned over my pitch-mowing job to someone else, dashed to the station, and from a newspaper found that Middlesex were playing Notts. When I arrived at Lord's just before lunch-time I saw 99 for no wicket on the score-board. Not until reaching the dressing-room did I learn that my side were batting. If Notts had been at the wickets I should not have played in that match. I remember Mr. Webbe leaning out of the pavilion window as I passed down the little alley to the players' room and saying, `It is quite all right but I nearly left you out.'

When Notts batted near the end of the day I bowled J. A. Dixon with a real beauty, and as we left the field the great Arthur Shrewsbury said to me, `Well bowled, young'un. If you bowl like that you will get someone else out to-morrow'--and I did--six for 62. That is how I began my connection with Middlesex and, barring a couple of matches missed through a strained arm, I went on playing for the county without a break until I retired from county cricket in 1914.

Next season at Lord's he took 14 Yorkshire wickets for less than five runs apiece, and in 14 matches the capture of 118 wickets for ten runs each put him top of the first-class averages. From that proof of ability he went steadily ahead, and in 1893 the fine reward of 212 wickets fell to him, while his aggregate rose to 257 wickets at 14.72 each in 1896; only Tom Richardson with 246 at 16.79 each fared nearly as well. In fact, that was Hearne's greatest year. He appeared for the Players against the Gentlemen at the Oval and Lord's, but those matches were comparatively of small importance in view of his doings against the Australians. With 56 wickets at 13.17 runs apiece he far surpassed the work of any other bowler during the summer against the touring team, though his rivals for fame included Robert Peel, George Lohmann, John Briggs, Tom Richardson and A. D. Pougher. He finished at Hastings for South of England by taking six Australian wickets for eight runs in 17 overs, 13 of them maidens. He also made 29 not out, the next highest score of his side to 53 by W. G. Grace. In the three Test matches that season he took 15 wickets at 14.1 each, dividing the honours with Tom Richardson, whose 24 wickets cost 18.7 each. At Lord's his bowling was not required until the second innings, when he sent down 36 overs for 76 runs and five wickets; but at the Oval, where Australia scored only 119 and 44, he took six wickets for 41 and four for 19--ten in all for six runs apiece, so having a large share in winning the rubber match by 66 runs.

An even more memorable game that season was at Lord's in June when M.C.C. avenged the disaster of 1878 by dismissing the Australians for 18, one less than the club fell for eighteen years previously. On that occasion Spofforth and Boyle brought undying fame to our visitors--in fact, made a name for Australian cricket in England. The revenge performance earned most renown for A. D. Pougher, who, going on to bowl with three wickets down for 18, disposed of five batsmen without a run being scored off him and the innings ended without addition. Yet Hearne took a greater part than did the Leicestershire bowler in gaining a single innings victory for M.C.C. In the first innings he sent down eleven overs for four runs and four wickets, and in the second, when the Australians put together a total of 183, he took, at a cost of 73 runs, all nine wickets that fell--the visitors batted one man short, Giffen being ill.

In the winter of 1897 he went to Australia with A. E. Stoddart, and his nine wickets for 141 in the first Test at Sydney helped materially in England's only win in the rubber of five matches, which all told yielded him no more than twenty victims. He took part in three Test matches in 1899--the first experience of a rubber of five in England--and at Leeds set up a record that still stands by doing the only hat-trick against Australia in a Test match in England. His victims were those formidable opponents Clem Hill, Sidney Gregory and M. A. Noble. He did three other hat-tricks; and another big achievement when meeting Australians occurred nine years earlier for Middlesex at Lord's, where he bowled W. L. Murdoch, the Australian captain and great batsman, for nought in each innings.

Besides coaching during several winters in India for the Maharaja of Patiala, Jack Hearne went to South Africa in 1891-92 and, with the two left-handers, J. J. Ferris and Nutty Martin, as colleagues, he claimed 163 wickets for less than seven runs each. South African batting was very weak at that time, and Ferris, the Australian, then qualified for Gloucestershire, with 235 wickets at 5.91 each, eclipsed Hearne's performance.

In fifteen different seasons Jack Hearne took over a hundred wickets; three times more than 200. From 1891 to 1904 the only exception was 1901, when the number fell to 99, partly, no doubt, because that was his best batting year with 522 runs, average 20.88. In addition to his exceptional effectiveness with the ball, Hearne scored 7,137 runs, average 11.04, and held 382 catches, mostly close to the wicket, where he was a dependable and often a brilliant fieldsman. Statistics vary as to J. T. Hearne's total wickets, but the runs scored and catches held are from Sir Home Gordon's Form at a Glance.

From 1891 to 1924 Hearne was engaged at Lord's, and the M.C.C. voted him, in lieu of a benefit, the sum of £500. Middlesex gave him the match with Somerset in 1900 as a benefit, and in 1920 he was elected a member of the Committee of the Middlesex County Club, an honour for a professional previously awarded only to William Gunn by Notttinghamshire in 1906. When acting as coach during many seasons at Oxford, Jack Hearne endeared himself to the University undergraduates in the same way that all who met him were impressed by the modest kindliness that marked his whole life.

To be on friendly terms with J. T. for fifty years, as I was, meant an education in cricket and good fellowship.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Reggie Schwarz

Wisden obituary

Major Schwarz, as every one knows, was famous as a slow bowler. Few men did so much to establish the reputation of South African cricket. He learnt the game in England and played for Middlesex before going to South Africa. In those early days, however, he did not make any great mark. His fame began when he returned to this country with the South African team of 1904. Studying very carefully the method of B. J. T. Bosanquet, he acquired, and afterwards carried to a high standard, the art of bowling off-breaks with, to all appearance, a leg-break action. He did very well in 1904, but his success that year was only a foretaste of far greater things to come. In the brilliant tour of 1907 he and Vogler and G. A. Faulkner raised South African cricket to the highest pitch it has ever reached. He was less successful than his two comrades in the Test Matches against England, but for the whole tour he was easily first in bowling, taking 143 wickets at a cost of 11½ runs each. He proved rather disappointing in Australia, and in the Triangular Tournament in this country in 1912 he failed. Before going to South Africa Schwarz was an International half-back at Rugby football, playing against Scotland in 1899 and against Wales and Ireland two seasons later. He also played for Cambridge against Oxford in 1893. He was born on May 4, 1875, and was educated at St. Paul's School. Inasmuch as he always made the ball turn from the off and had no leg-break Schwarz was not in the strict sense of the word a googly bowler, and was in this respect inferior to his colleagues Vogler and Faulkner. Still, when at his best, he was a truly formidable opponent, his accuracy of length in the season of 1907, in combination with such a big break, being extraordinary.

The writer of the obituary notice in the Times said: Personally `Reggie' Schwarz was a man of exceptional charm, and his untimely death will bring real sorrow to his hosts of friends in many parts of the world. He had the great gift of absolute modesty and self-effacement. No one meeting him casually would ever have guessed the renown he had won in the world of sport. Quiet, almost retiring, in manner; without the least trace of side; and with a peculiarly attractive voice and way of speaking, Schwarz impelled and commanded the affection even of acquaintances. During his years in South Africa he was secretary to Sir Abe Bailey -- a post which his social gifts enabled him to fill with remarkable success. Before coming to Europe for service in France, he had won distinction in the campaign in German South-West Africa. All who knew him knew that at the first possible opportunity he would be in the field in France, quietly and unostentatiously devoting all his gifts -- gifts that were bound to ensure his success as an officer -- to the service of his country. He had been wounded twice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Schwarz, Vogler and Faulkner - a spin trio fit to be ranked at worst very close to the famous Indian triplet of three from four of Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna and Venkat.

Those two triumvarates are clear of the field as the best spin-attacks this game has ever seen.