• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What of Chris Jordan?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The teenager playing for Surrey atm. From what I've heard he has some pace and some batting ability and seems to be causing waves with the management at Surrey as an exciting prospect. Has anyone seen much of him? Does he appear a player to keep an eye on?

I ask because he's Bajan by birth, although he can play for England if he chooses. According to CricInfo, he favours playing for West Indies in future.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I ask because he's Bajan by birth, although he can play for England if he chooses. According to CricInfo, he favours playing for West Indies in future.
IIRC he is more than just Bajan by birth. He is born and raised there and only came to UK in late teens on a cricket scholarship.

Before last season big claims were being made about his batting and bowling but there was no evidence to back them up.

He really hit the scene last year and this season will be interesting. If he has success then he will be seen as a genuine prospect.

Think his finances and career stability better suited to playing for Eng.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He'll have a better chance of playing international cricket for the WI. Anything decent from him and he'll be in the squad.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The teenager playing for Surrey atm. From what I've heard he has some pace and some batting ability and seems to be causing waves with the management at Surrey as an exciting prospect. Has anyone seen much of him? Does he appear a player to keep an eye on?

My friends who go to Dulwich College say that he can nudge 90mph on his day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazing how readily available speedguns currently are. Wouldn't be surprised if a decent college had one.

Either way, this Jordan fellow doesn't seem to have done much of much note yet, but there's still plenty of time.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
My cousin owns one (a handheld one), I'm 62mph:). Interesting that someone's average speed is usually a good 5-7mph slower than they think they can bowl. I presume that they had seen him bowl in a game for Surrey but it would not surprise me if Dulwich College had a speedgun, they take cricket quite seriously over there.

stumpski

International Captain
Should get plenty of opportunities this season, which wouldn't have been the case if Mohammad Asif had played. Expect 50+ wickets if he can stay fit.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Surrey v Kent on Sky Sports (Star Cricket if you are in India) today. Should be interesting to see how Jordan bowls.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC he is more than just Bajan by birth. He is born and raised there and only came to UK in late teens on a cricket scholarship.
If only Stephen Jones and Brendon Gallagher wrote about cricket.... I'd love to see them try and defend this one without the hypocrisy flowing out of their many orifi.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Realistically how far do you guys think he would be away from making a West Indies squad. Got a pretty decent record even if he has only played 8 or so FC matches. The Australian series is well out probably out of question. But if he strings together a decent 3-4 months of county cricket. I don't think he would be that far off pushing Sammy and Powell for spot. But I don't rate those two.

Could see him called up to West Indies squad before the end of season, especially if there is any hint that he might choice England. Especially if the likes of Lloyld are following his progress. With Pedro Collins also in the Surrey squad, it wouldn't surprise me if he has word in his ear as well and maybe in a word in Gayle's ear.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If only Stephen Jones and Brendon Gallagher wrote about cricket.... I'd love to see them try and defend this one without the hypocrisy flowing out of their many orifi.
Like a red rag to a bull... :ph34r:

I think he's a way off selection as of now, but we do seem to be hoovering up players from other (often lesser, in cricketing terms) nations who look to have shown even a modicum of talent. The obvious two are Joyce from Ireland & Amjad Khan from Denmark. On the one hand you can't blame a bloke for wanting to better himself (they have no chnace as of now of playing tests for their own nations), but at the same time it's almost punishing a country for producing half-decent players.

I suppose with Jordan at least he's got the British gran in his favour. Not that that means he's not a Bajan tho &, ultimately, if he's of sufficient quality he'll probably have to choose between the money & his heart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think he's a way off selection as of now, but we do seem to be hoovering up players from other (often lesser, in cricketing terms) nations who look to have shown even a modicum of talent. The obvious two are Joyce from Ireland & Amjad Khan from Denmark. On the one hand you can't blame a bloke for wanting to better himself (they have no chnace as of now of playing tests for their own nations), but at the same time it's almost punishing a country for producing half-decent players.

I suppose with Jordan at least he's got the British gran in his favour. Not that that means he's not a Bajan tho &, ultimately, if he's of sufficient quality he'll probably have to choose between the money & his heart.
West Indies and Denmark really aren't remotely analogous.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
He can't play for West Indies until he's played domestic cricket in the Caribbean.
Is there a specific reason for that rule. Haven't there been guys in the past that basically played all their domestic cricket in England and then got called up to West Indies squad when there were injuries. Also haven't there been guys that played like six months in England and then six months in Australia or South Africa. I doubt they would have played much domestic cricket in the West Indies during that time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there a specific reason for that rule. Haven't there been guys in the past that basically played all their domestic cricket in England and then got called up to West Indies squad when there were injuries. Also haven't there been guys that played like six months in England and then six months in Australia or South Africa. I doubt they would have played much domestic cricket in the West Indies during that time.
The rule, AFAIK, is that a player has to play domestic cricket in the West Indies in the season preceding his call-up. It's the reason that Vasbert Drakes had to play for Barbados in the 2002 Red Stripe Bowl before he could be recalled to West Indies duty.