• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do you love the game?

Why do you love the game?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember at the age of 9 or 10 tuning into this amazing test match at Perth where a bloke called Stephen Fleming was on his way to 104. It was the first game I'd really taken any interest in and Dad was telling me all about the deeds or Fleming in 1999 on the England tour, Chris Cairns and Dion Nashs heroics with the ball, Nathan Astle in the West Indies etc.
Truly frightening how young you were for that match. :-O Remember it like it was yesterday.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
For One day cricket Its got to be Kenya's second win under lights against India in 2001, while the incident that really got me hooked on Test cricket would have to be that 100+ 10th wicket partnership between Gillapie and Mcgrath against New Zealand. Its still beyond me how after putting the Aussies in such dire straits New Zealand were unable to finish them off.:wacko:

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Because like most Indians I grew up playing and watching cricket….It is like asking someone from Argentina why does he loves football…

burr

State Vice-Captain
I’m not quite sure. Cricket grows on you. And before you know it, it’s under your skin and the rhythms and beauty of the game are something you can’t escape from. I love its pace; the development over five days, it’s subtleties and how you have to follow the game for years and slowly seep in knowledge before you can fully appreciate it. And I love the culture that goes with cricket; switching on to the ABC is so comforting or listening to the BBC at 2am in the morning tucked up in bed as an Ashes battle is played out over the airwaves. It’s drama and art, and at the very least, sport.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm... can't say there's much mystery in me and my fiancee's feelings for each other TBH. There is in terms of cricket - I wouldn't imagine anyone could work-out why they loved cricket. But love at large doesn't have nor need to be mysterious.
It's a mystery to everyone else :happy:

(I don't mean this in a nasty way Richard!)

Engle

State Vice-Captain
It's international ( even soccer does not have int'l contests as much as cricket)
It doesn't require great strength/athleticism
It's sporting (at least, more so than others)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm... can't say there's much mystery in me and my fiancee's feelings for each other TBH. There is in terms of cricket - I wouldn't imagine anyone could work-out why they loved cricket. But love at large doesn't have nor need to be mysterious.
Then you haven't yet fallen in love Richard. We mistake a hell of a lot of emotions for love

Unfortunately, you wont know what I am talking about until you do. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I assure you, I have. Five times at the very least - two of them being with the same girl.

I wouldn't have asked her to marry me (and I doubt she'd have said yes either) if I thought otherwise.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I assure you, I have. Five times at the very least - two of them being with the same girl.

I wouldn't have asked her to marry me (and I doubt she'd have said yes either) if I thought otherwise.
I thought so.

Thats not falling in love my dear. You truly fall in love only once in your life time (if at all) and you never 'fall out of it" again.

This is the shortfall of the English language where the word love is used to express a lots of emotions 'from loving your job or house' at one end to 'falling in love' at the other. Its the 'falling' that is the difference.

In Urdu/Hindustani their are three words for love where English has only one. 'Pyaar', 'Mohabbat' and 'Ishq'. Its the last one which is true falling in love. It happens only once. The target could be an individual or God.

and you never love another again, :)

Too much you think? Ignore it. :)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How did I start. I must have been around ten.

Well to start with, everyone played cricket and so did I. Every single day, a few hours were spent playing in the neighborhood park. I wasn't very good at it then but I owned the bat :)

Our childhood heroes were all cricketers. So you kind of got involved with what was happening in the game through the news and the radio commentary. You played different forms of indoor cricket, the most popular being opening the a book at random and scoring runs based on the number of the page.

Then someone suggested me to go to the national Stadium and join the Madras Cricket Club. It changed my life.

The coach was a great guy. Trust me one of the finest coaches I have ever come across in the last forty years - if not the very best. Not only did he give me a solid grounding in the techniques but his love for the game and its history, rubbed off on me. He introduced me to Cardus and lent me his books to read. I suppose thats when I truly fell in love with the game.

It was Cardus and the late TP Bharathan (the coach) who are responsible for my infatuation with this game.
Well, I come from Madras... From Chepauk actually, which is pretty much the heart of cricket action here...... Should be no surprise that I am hooked given that I have been to matches at Chepauk since 1987 when I was hardly past 3 years old.... Tied test and all that..... And cricket is just special. I can identify so much with what so many of the posters here have said...... Langeveldt, SJS, Pratyush, Bagapath..... It all rings true, although having grown up in Madras/Chennai, I guess I have had a few more in terms of facilities than many others do coming from out of town....... Still feel ashamed I didn't make it at least upto the TNCA League as a wicket keeper to be honest. :( Was more than decent at my school side though. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I come from Madras... From Chepauk actually, which is pretty much the heart of cricket action here...... Should be no surprise that I am hooked given that I have been to matches at Chepauk since 1987 when I was hardly past 3 years old.... Tied test and all that..... And cricket is just special. I can identify so much with what so many of the posters here have said...... Langeveldt, SJS, Pratyush, Bagapath..... It all rings true, although having grown up in Madras/Chennai, I guess I have had a few more in terms of facilities than many others do coming from out of town....... Still feel ashamed I didn't make it at least upto the TNCA League as a wicket keeper to be honest. :( Was more than decent at my school side though. :)
Do you still find time to play some cricket ?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I thought so.

Thats not falling in love my dear. You truly fall in love only once in your life time (if at all) and you never 'fall out of it" again.

This is the shortfall of the English language where the word love is used to express a lots of emotions 'from loving your job or house' at one end to 'falling in love' at the other. Its the 'falling' that is the difference.

In Urdu/Hindustani their are three words for love where English has only one. 'Pyaar', 'Mohabbat' and 'Ishq'. Its the last one which is true falling in love. It happens only once. The target could be an individual or God.

and you never love another again, :)

Too much you think? Ignore it. :)
Well put. For example, I like lamp. But I don't love lamp.