Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Why do you love the game?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • First chance average

    6 21.43%
  • What game?

    10 35.71%
  • Fiery was gun

    12 42.86%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 104
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why do you love the game?

  1. #16
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah me too, it was a good catch.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #17
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,099
    Meh. Fills in the summer months when there's no football.

    I don't know tho, actually. Obviously being English (as opposed to French or American, say) has had a part in it for exposure to the sport at an early age purposes, but quite a lot of English people don't give it the time of day, so it has to be more than that.

    The length of the conflict appeals, I have to say. Cricket (and I really mean test cricket here) is a game you inhabit for up to five days at a time. The match ebbs & flows and breathes, one sees battles within battles and often just when a game is drifting there's a moment of magic from a champion player that turns things around & reignites the interest.

    The history & respect for tradition appeal to the nostaglic son of Albion in me too; names like Spofforth, Grace, Lohmann or Barnes still have a real meaning for cricket fans that doesn't exist for football fans with association footballers of similar vintage. This is probably in part because cricket is very stats friendly, but also because the game has inspired so much wonderful writing over the years & centuries.
    zorax likes this.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  3. #18
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    For me I think it's that beautiful cliche that cricket is a great leveller. Take my own game, for example - one week I took 6/21 off my 10 overs and the next I went for 52 off 10, taking only one wicket in the process. Just when you think you've got it all right, you get brought back down to earth and realise it's a long process to become a good player.

    It rewards hard work and dedication while (generally) you require a good technique if you wish to succeed.

    And I love the fact that a five-day game can be turned on its head in a matter of 20 minutes.
    zorax likes this.

  4. #19
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Has there ever been a reason for being in love ?


  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Has there ever been a reason for being in love ?
    What SJS said.

  6. #21
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Meh. Fills in the summer months when there's no football.

    I don't know tho, actually. Obviously being English (as opposed to French or American, say) has had a part in it for exposure to the sport at an early age purposes, but quite a lot of English people don't give it the time of day, so it has to be more than that.

    The length of the conflict appeals, I have to say. Cricket (and I really mean test cricket here) is a game you inhabit for up to five days at a time. The match ebbs & flows and breathes, one sees battles within battles and often just when a game is drifting there's a moment of magic from a champion player that turns things around & reignites the interest.

    The history & respect for tradition appeal to the nostaglic son of Albion in me too; names like Spofforth, Grace, Lohmann or Barnes still have a real meaning for cricket fans that doesn't exist for football fans with association footballers of similar vintage. This is probably in part because cricket is very stats friendly, but also because the game has inspired so much wonderful writing over the years & centuries.
    I defiantly agree. I have this fascination with cricketers to that era, to guys like Hobbs and Hedley Veriety, I mean he died more then 40 years before I was born, and yet I see his stats and think he must of been a decent bowler.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  7. #22
    International Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    FREE STELLA NYANZI!
    Posts
    6,245
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Bowlers. Nothing more beautiful than watching a bowler on fire repeatedly beating the bat in a Test match.
    Ah could not have said it better myself...
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

    They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

  8. #23
    International Captain stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,951
    Because everyone else at my school was into football, and cricket is about as different as it's possible to get.

    Because you can read a book or paper without people thinking you're weird.

    Because the spectators don't have to be segregated to stop them stabbing and maiming each other. Some of my most interesting chats have been with opposition supporters.

    Because you can have a beer, even if you can't always bring it in with you.

    Because of the history and tradition and wealth of reading matter associated with the game - not to mention the stats.
    zorax likes this.

  9. #24
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    Because it's so relaxing.. Nothing beats sitting on a grass bank on a sunny day watching the final session of a days play as the shadows lengthen.. Cricket is an escape, doesn't matter what standard you are playing or watching.. From a playing point of view, it is still for the large part a gentleman's game, and the carmeradery and friendships you make through the game are fantastic.. Nothing beats English village cricket from the whole social package point of view.. Unfortunatly my interest in professional cricket is diminishing rapidly as other forms of the game find their way into the mainstream, but I'm sure I'll continue to play even if I give up supporting..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  10. #25
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah me too, it was a good catch.
    Was waiting for that, should have known it would be you

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  11. #26
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    Best poll
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  12. #27
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    For me I think it's that beautiful cliche that cricket is a great leveller. Take my own game, for example - one week I took 6/21 off my 10 overs and the next I went for 52 off 10, taking only one wicket in the process. Just when you think you've got it all right, you get brought back down to earth and realise it's a long process to become a good player.
    Not that I disagree, but doesn't that exist with many other sports as well?

    Though I guess the question is 'why do you love cricket', not 'what makes cricket better than other sports', so it doesn't matter if that factor exists in other sports.

    Anyway, I've been brought up on the sport, and love many things about it, but I think the visual brilliance of it is what I love best. A great cover drive or in-swinging yorker often leaves me in awe when watching (or on the rare occasions when I pull it off myself ).
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  13. #28
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Nothing beats sitting on a grass bank on a sunny day watching the final session of a days play as the shadows lengthen.. Cricket is an escape, doesn't matter what standard you are playing or watching..
    You know, that is abso-God-damn-lutely right. It's fantastic to do that, every bit as much in a Test or a game down at the club.
    carmeradery
    *cameraderie
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  14. #29
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,568
    No idea.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Not that I disagree, but doesn't that exist with many other sports as well?
    Not to the same extent. If you're a striker and miss an open goal, all you'll see in the basic stats of the game is that there's not a goal next to your name on the scoresheet. Hardly a damning indictment on your game, if you get what I mean. Whereas, in cricket, your failings are right there, staring up at you from the scorebook.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. You Love....
    By Beleg in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-02-2008, 12:52 PM
  2. What is love?
    By yaju in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
  3. Metal Slug 2(I love this game)
    By cricket player in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-08-2005, 02:58 PM
  4. im in love
    By Piper in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •