cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67

Thread: Shane Warne School of Cricket.

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230

    Shane Warne School of Cricket.

    Just how good this guy is as a captain, coach, leader etc. I think whoever decided to ignore Shane Warne for the captaincy of Australia, did a great favor to other teams. I mean one just shudders to think how much better the Aussie team would have been under him. There are talks that Warne is very keen on openning a spin Academy in India, I think why just a 'Spun Academy', he should open a 'Cricketing School' in India where he can teach cricket. I feel he wont have trouble finding sponsors for this venture.

    The guy is 38, he leads a bunch of no names (and Graeme Smith) half his age, most of whom can't even speak the English language properly. Warne, didn't have to prove anything to anyone, just like other icons, he could have just taken the money and gone after few weeks. But not Warnie, that would have been very un-Warne-like thing to do. He has decided to earn his money, unlike those icons.

    The Hindusan Times writes on Him :-

    Captaining Jaipur in the IPL, Warne has taken everyone by storm. The players are imbued with purpose and credit their skipper's contagious energy for this. Youngsters just cannot get enough of him and the older pros regret not having rubbed shoulders with him earlier. As a captain, he is meticulous, understated, easygoing and inspirational.

    He has bowled with guile, batted with purpose and captained with acuity. He mingles with everyone and is personally guiding each player.

    On Wednesday, he said that he wanted to show the world what the youngsters in his team are capable of. That statement was forceful and encapsulated his desire and passion. His captaincy in the tournament, in a way, has transcended everything else.

  2. #2
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,684
    I find it hard for anyone to dislike the Royals with Warneys captaincy...truly brilliant
    and the kids in that team are hell lucky

  3. #3
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Well it is no secret that he and Keith Miller are the two best guys never to captain Australia. Warne would of been captain had he not slept around, given pitch and weather information to a dodgy bookie, took a banned drug and a whole list of things and not dropping simple slip catches in the 2nd innings of the 5th Test that decided that match and the series there in England's favour

    Otherwise he could bowl alright.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Always been a big fan of Shane Warne the captain and player but, well, it was pretty obvious which way the ACB were going to go when he was in the running against Steve Waugh in 1998. As I've said in another post;

    "In all honesty, I know it's a bit OT, but the best bloke I ever saw captain the Aussies, tactically-speaking, was Shane Warne. I remember watching a ODI in about 1998 where the Saffies were absolutely cruising when Steve Waugh went off the field for a bit because he was injured and Warnie took over. For the next 10 or so overs, the whole complexion of the game changed and if you ignored the score (SA were 2/plenty chasing a low score with two batsmen in and set), they suddenly looked in all sorts of trouble. Two things;

    - Warnie's fields were interesting. He not only dried up all scoring options but retained enough attacking fielders to make the SA batsmen seriously look average. It was quite weird to see the game get turned on its head like that purely by fields which were very unusual.

    - The rest of the team to a man got behind him. Suddenly the listless Aussie team were putting in, diving desperately for everything, the bowling was tighter, etc. A couple of wickets fell and SA, from a position of total dominance, looked as if they could lose the match.

    Then Steve Waugh came back on the field, the game returned to business and usual and an easy win for SA resulted.

    I know Ian Chappell was a fan of Warnie as captain instead of Waugh and there were plenty of others. Once the team started winning regularly, those criticisms faded but yeah Warnie as captain was something else. Whenever he took over, even for short periods, he looked the part. One of those things we'll never know for sure, unfortunately."

    Warnie personifies the phrase 'leading by example'. It's why he's such an effective leader of men (and follower of women.....).


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    I find it hard for anyone to dislike the Royals with Warneys captaincy...truly brilliant
    and the kids in that team are hell lucky

    And it is not without reason. The guy has been giving his 100 % as a captain. A lot of his RR players have trouble communicating in English, guess what, Warne has been trying to talk to them in their language (Hindi). Who comes to India and tries to learn a new language, that too just for a tournament that is 45 day long.

    It is not easy for an aussie (as Chappell will tell you) to come to India and be successful and be able to enjoy the success. It is just amazing how he does it at the age of 38.

  6. #6
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Always been a big fan of Shane Warne the captain and player but, well, it was pretty obvious which way the ACB were going to go when he was in the running against Steve Waugh in 1998. As I've said in another post;

    "In all honesty, I know it's a bit OT, but the best bloke I ever saw captain the Aussies, tactically-speaking, was Shane Warne. I remember watching a ODI in about 1998 where the Saffies were absolutely cruising when Steve Waugh went off the field for a bit because he was injured and Warnie took over. For the next 10 or so overs, the whole complexion of the game changed and if you ignored the score (SA were 2/plenty chasing a low score with two batsmen in and set), they suddenly looked in all sorts of trouble. Two things;

    - Warnie's fields were interesting. He not only dried up all scoring options but retained enough attacking fielders to make the SA batsmen seriously look average. It was quite weird to see the game get turned on its head like that purely by fields which were very unusual.

    - The rest of the team to a man got behind him. Suddenly the listless Aussie team were putting in, diving desperately for everything, the bowling was tighter, etc. A couple of wickets fell and SA, from a position of total dominance, looked as if they could lose the match.

    Then Steve Waugh came back on the field, the game returned to business and usual and an easy win for SA resulted.

    I know Ian Chappell was a fan of Warnie as captain instead of Waugh and there were plenty of others. Once the team started winning regularly, those criticisms faded but yeah Warnie as captain was something else. Whenever he took over, even for short periods, he looked the part. One of those things we'll never know for sure, unfortunately."

    Warnie personifies the phrase 'leading by example'. It's why he's such an effective leader of men (and follower of women.....).
    Didn't he wax lyrical about how good of a captain Keith Miller would have been?

  7. #7
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Thane India
    Posts
    19,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Always been a big fan of Shane Warne the captain and player but, well, it was pretty obvious which way the ACB were going to go when he was in the running against Steve Waugh in 1998. As I've said in another post;

    "In all honesty, I know it's a bit OT, but the best bloke I ever saw captain the Aussies, tactically-speaking, was Shane Warne. I remember watching a ODI in about 1998 where the Saffies were absolutely cruising when Steve Waugh went off the field for a bit because he was injured and Warnie took over. For the next 10 or so overs, the whole complexion of the game changed and if you ignored the score (SA were 2/plenty chasing a low score with two batsmen in and set), they suddenly looked in all sorts of trouble. Two things;

    - Warnie's fields were interesting. He not only dried up all scoring options but retained enough attacking fielders to make the SA batsmen seriously look average. It was quite weird to see the game get turned on its head like that purely by fields which were very unusual.

    - The rest of the team to a man got behind him. Suddenly the listless Aussie team were putting in, diving desperately for everything, the bowling was tighter, etc. A couple of wickets fell and SA, from a position of total dominance, looked as if they could lose the match.

    Then Steve Waugh came back on the field, the game returned to business and usual and an easy win for SA resulted.

    I know Ian Chappell was a fan of Warnie as captain instead of Waugh and there were plenty of others. Once the team started winning regularly, those criticisms faded but yeah Warnie as captain was something else. Whenever he took over, even for short periods, he looked the part. One of those things we'll never know for sure, unfortunately."

    Warnie personifies the phrase 'leading by example'. It's why he's such an effective leader of men (and follower of women.....).
    We, in India, have never seen Warne captain before. Not that I remember. Watching him in T20 was a revelation. Its not the best of places to assess a captain but what little one could see was very impressive.

    I dont see what sleeping around with women has to do with leading a side. I could name some others who did both with distinction. Unless. of course, we are talking of leading the side and being caught during one's indiscretions.

  8. #8
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    We, in India, have never seen Warne captain before. Not that I remember. Watching him in T20 was a revelation. Its not the best of places to assess a captain but what little one could see was very impressive.

    I dont see what sleeping around with women has to do with leading a side. I could name some others who did both with distinction. Unless. of course, we are talking of leading the side and being caught during one's indiscretions.
    Pretty conservative in Aus, really. Plus, Steve Waugh had been groomed as a future captain and had a good 5-6 years more Test experience than Warne so he was always up against it when the choice came down to him and Waugh. Waugh's clean-cut image was more palatable for the heirarchy and certainly it's gone that way for years (e.g. Boonie had ambitions to captain post-AB but Mark Taylor got the job).

    Your second paragraph kills me. It'd be a great headline if Warne was 'leading the side' in an incident of sexual congress. Can just imagine the glowing testimonials from his team-mates if he hooked them up like that!

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    65,451
    It's also fair to say, in relation to Warne's short stints in charge of Australia, that he could afford to be uber aggressive because he had nothign to lose - not like he was an incumbent who'd be slaughtered for making overly aggressive decisions.

    That said, I think he's a great skipper. He went up enormously in my estimation last night, purely for his spray of Ganghastly. Wonder how that measured on the "Spirit of Cricket scale they're using - tipping he didn't get many points.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    24,003
    Warne is God.


    As I said, he is now not just into my all time XI but the captain as well... Screw Bradman. I can manage with lesser batsmen if I have a captain as good as him. Hell, I can even manage with Asnodkar there.....
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    I've only ever seen Warne captain in 3 one-day games for Hampshire and he got several things wrong to my mind in each of them.

    Seems odd that this is the only experience I have of someone so many think so highly of as a captain.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  12. #12
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,833
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Warne is God.


    As I said, he is now not just into my all time XI but the captain as well... Screw Bradman. I can manage with lesser batsmen if I have a captain as good as him. Hell, I can even manage with Asnodkar there.....
    That might be your point of view...but I feel Bradman would have been a far far better role model than Warne (both on and off the field) which is a must for any cricket captain (let alone for an all-time XI)...

    Having said that...it's my point of view and it's not necessary that everyone has to support...

  13. #13
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    39,926
    Role model? I want to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  14. #14
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,833
    But you are not some1 averaging near 100 in test cricket, attaining great successes as a test captain 'and a great role model'...right?

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    1,355
    With all the due respect to great Shane Warne,captaining in a Twenty20 event can't be used to say how good someone could have been at test level,especially considering he is retired from international Cricket.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shane Warne
    By andmark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-09-2006, 11:32 AM
  2. Shane Warne
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 08:35 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23-08-2003, 05:24 AM
  4. Shane Warne
    By Rich in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2002, 04:36 PM
  5. Brian Lara/Shane Warne Cricket 99
    By Lach in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-01-2002, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •