• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne School of Cricket.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Capatincy does not mean only onfield sucess. It involves discipline and being a role odel and an ambassador of motherland. I am failing to see how a womaniser, drug cheat and a player involved with a bookies to be an ambassador to your country.

Many men in this country have done drugs, gambled and all men wish they could womanise. He's really no different to a large number of dinky-di Aussie blokes out there so most of them don't have a problem with what he's done

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Many men in this country have done drugs, gambled and all men wish they could womanise. He's really no different to a large number of dinky-di Aussie blokes out there so most of them don't have a problem with what he's done
Not to mention, with publically clean-cut guys like Azharuddin and Cronje, it's what you caught for that hangs you, not what you do......

pasag

RTDAS
Capatincy does not mean only onfield sucess. It involves discipline and being a role odel and an ambassador of motherland. I am failing to see how a womaniser, drug cheat and a player involved with a bookies to be an ambassador to your country.
FTR I agree with that to an extent, it still doesn't change the fact that the example you brought was something that highlighted the exact opposite of your intentions.

Briony

International Debutant
Here's something of what the real prick Smith has said about Warne during their stint together with the Royals.

I watch someone like Dinesh Salunkhe take tips on leg spin from Shane Warne whom Dinesh idolises and I think that’s fascinating. There’s plenty to learn from Shane generally, for everybody. Personally speaking, I think he’s a very interesting man, apart from the fact that he’s one of the greatest leg spinners the world has seen. The way he has shaped this team, and the way he is constantly looking to make things happen on the field, is certainly instructive for a captain.

Admittedly, we’ve had our battles in the past. No South Africa-Australia encounter has ever been completely tame and I’ve made comments intended to deliberately stir the pot, but it’s been wonderful to sit with Shane and share a laugh about them, not to mention sharing a dressing room with him. He truly has a great cricketing brain, and Rajasthan Royals are reaping the benefits.

Son Of Coco

:blink:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, but Australia is a small part of the world and a still smaller fraction of the mankind. Don't genaralize aussie menality to the rest of the world.

duffer

Yes, but Australia is a small part of the world and a still smaller fraction of the mankind. Don't genaralize aussie menality to the rest of the world.
Errm, when did I do that? You're the one applying some sort of International standard to how an Aussie captain should behave.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Did i miss something? What you are suggesting is, if his behavior is not regrded as problematic by the Aussies, should it like wise by the rest of the world?

duffer

Did i miss something? What you are suggesting is, if his behavior is not regrded as problematic by the Aussies, should it like wise by the rest of the world?
Who cares? He wouldn't have been representing the rest of the world, just Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It would be interesting to know some percentages, though - much as it's obviously impossible.

The problem is depressingly common whichever country you look in really, mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And why this Sourav witch-hunt. Like no other cricketer has influenced an umpire's decision. Hell you have Ricky Ponting giving opposition batsmen out and apparently he did nothing wrong.
Haha I love the double standards.

Ganguly acted like a dickhead, of that I have no doubt, but its very interesting when you consider a certain captain actually raised his finger to the umpire in a test match FFS.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha I love the double standards.

Ganguly acted like a dickhead, of that I have no doubt, but its very interesting when you consider a certain captain actually raised his finger to the umpire in a test match FFS.
LOL, I was with you till that final sentence. Ponting didn't influence the ref without an accord. The umpire was taking the word of the captains per their agreement prior to the Test series, I believe. This is a totally different situation.

howardj

International Coach
All you need to do to get praised in Australia for your captaincy, is put a couple fieldsmen in close and attack like mad, and people laud you as magnificent (witness Clarke in his T20 captaincy debut against New Zealand). Especially Chappelli - according to him, and the vast bulk of Aussies, as long as you go nuts by attacking 24/7, you are a good captain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL, I was with you till that final sentence. Ponting didn't influence the ref without an accord. The umpire was taking the word of the captains per their agreement prior to the Test series, I believe. This is a totally different situation.
True. Though it would have looke d alot better if Ponting hadn't used the gesture he did, and instead just told the umpire Clarke said he caught it.
Edit: Just saw a photo on Circinfo of Shoaib going into a tribunal dressed in a t shirt and jeans. Lucky for him the Aussie media aren't watching after their coverage of the appeal hearing out here last summer and criticising the players for wearing similar attire. Odd what the media thinks is important.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Edit :- This thread is about Warne and not about Ganguly or Ponting, SCG stuff is just boring now.

Chappelli the other writes :-

"...Warne has one of the most vibrant cricket brains in the business and there can be no disputing he's a very good captain. Benaud often says the great allrounder Keith Miller was the best skipper he's seen never to captain Australia. I'd say the same about Warne in regard to Test cricket..."

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Loved his ownage of Dhoni today. Battle to watch my ass. Who exactly thought it would be a battle anyway - since when did Dhoni become a world class batsman?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Loved his ownage of Dhoni today. Battle to watch my ass. Who exactly thought it would be a battle anyway - since when did Dhoni become a world class batsman?
Well said.

He exposed Dhoni thoroughly and made him look like a complete novice. Dhoni should thank his stars that he got out. Had he stayed the memory of him looking so desperately out of his league would have lasted for ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All you need to do to get praised in Australia for your captaincy, is put a couple fieldsmen in close and attack like mad, and people laud you as magnificent (witness Clarke in his T20 captaincy debut against New Zealand). Especially Chappelli - according to him, and the vast bulk of Aussies, as long as you go nuts by attacking 24/7, you are a good captain.
Ind33dy.

I know you're exaggerating a bit, but that's the gist of it.