• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who after Kumble and Harbhajan for India?

susan.sexy.cric

Cricket Spectator
After ace spinne kumble retires who will be thje best spinner for India?

Piyush Chawla
Pragyan Ojha
KP Appanna

or any others

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For a while it's likely there won't be anyone particularly good if Kumble were to retire in the immediate future - ie, a year or two. Chawla is still just 19 and few cricketers, never mind spinners, are international-class at that age or 21.

However, he seems the one with the most promise at the current time and hopefully maybe by 2011-2012 or so he might start to become an international force.

I've long wondered what happened to Amit Mishra, though I'm sure the Indian posters are probably getting sick of explaining this as I imagine it's been asked just a bit.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think there a couple good ones domestically going around. I am not particularly worried about the spin situation. Obviously, we aren't going to be able to replace Kumble completely, but the spin stocks are decent. Powar should get a go in Tests. And there are a couple others who can do a pretty good job.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Chawla for sure, as he can hold a bat as well. Will probably come in to the Test side when Kumble retires (if ever). Don't know about Powar, he might be a bit old by then.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Liked what I saw of Chawla out here in the later ODIs, though I wonder whether, to be successful in tests he may need to bowl a little slower, which I'm sure he can.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Harbhajan is only 28 something, so in theory he could be only halfway through his career (unless he manages to get slapped with a 5-year ban like Akhtar, hot favorite for that) .

If Chawla needs some maturation, India do have Powar (30?), Murali Kartik (32?), Rajesh Pawar. Also worth trying as an all-rounder may be Yusuf Pathan who had domestic success this year as a bowler.

adharcric

International Coach
Bhajji, Powar, Kartik .. then Chawla, Ojha, Mishra, Jadeja, Abdulla and several others who are too young to be able to predict how good they'll turn out to be.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Then there is always Sehwag, who should bowl a lot more than he does. Murali Kartik is pretty decent too. The absence of Kumble will be felt more because of the respect and position that he holds in the squad..........pretty sure some good spinner will fill in the shoes.