• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Awards for 21st – 27th April 2008

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, the CW Awards are back, by popular demand, at the end of April 2008. Hope you enjoy the first edition upon return. Some new (or old) judges would be appreciated, however – we come to this later.

Congratulations to the following:
Everyone who made some sort of milestone since the end of August last year.

We'd like to reintroduce weekly milestones, but obviously it'll only happen if someone fancies compiling them. If you do, get in touch.

The CW Awards Team

Richard (Sir Geoffrey, Inzamam, Saj, Sobers & Bradman)
archie mac (Warne & Gatting-v-Rana)
adharcric (Afridi & Hussey)
Positions vacant: Tony Greig, Marsh/Lillee, Agarkar/Mohammed, Skull, Jimmy Adams & FIAB

All Awards nominations to be sent to cwawards@cricketmail.net. PLEASE NOMINATE guys, we judges don’t read every thread and it’s easy to miss hugely worthy stuff.

I'd like to reintroduce the Greigy, M\L A\M, Skull, Jimmy and FIAB Awards, and also a Jeff Thomson Award for "whooooooooosh", but it won't be possible unless someone volunteers to judge them. So if you fancy it – this very much includes those who’ve judged them in the past – please email me at RJED2@AOL.com confirming your interest.

Best Of The Best

The Shahid Afridi Award (Best post of the week)
Like an innings by the great man, it does not have to be very long to be great viewing.
And the Winner is: SJS for this, amid the countless dross in that thread, this stood-out like a beacon.

The Shane Warne Award (Best thread of the week)
Like his bowling it must be interesting, but just like his private life it can also be controversial.
And the Winner is: Xuhaib for this, a real gem, thinks Sean.

The Sobers Award (Most varied poster of the week)
The true all-rounder of CW, you must be able to contribute to a number of threads.
And the Winner is: Flem274*, 25 threads in the last week, a good effort indeed.

The Skull Award (Funniest post of the week)
Just like the king of the one-liner Kerry O’Keefe, can also be serious.
And the Winner is: GeraintIsMyHero for this, I picked here - so if you want to see better selections from now on, apply to judge the thing! Fair to say that lionheart (here) was a decent shout too.

The Tony Greig Award (Worst prediction of the week)
Will he ever live down that “I intend to make them grovel” prediction re- the West Indies in ‘76?
And the Winner is: Turbinator for this, an old favourite (or favorite :dry:) of this Award, and not entirely fair as this was rather more than a week old, but I felt we needed a comeback Greigy, and this fitted the bill as well as anything.

The Inzamam Award (Vaguest post of the week)
We are not sure what he is talking about, but we hope he knows.
And the Winner is: slowfinger for this, the account may be in jest, but this post still can't really be ignored.

The Sir Geoffrey Award (Most knowledgeable poster of the week)
We were going to call this the Richie Benaud award, but after speaking to Boycs, he assured us he knew twice as much as Richie.
And the Winner is: chaminda_00, knows the Sri Lankan domestic scene like no-one else around here does Tharmi, and usually teaches me something new about it about once every 3 weeks.

The Gatting-vs-Rana Award (Best debate of the week)
And the Winners are: myself and chaminda_00 for this, I remember this debate when I was a kid between ODI and Test cricket, apparently ODI were going to replace Test cricket 8-) says Sean.

The Saj Award (Best rant of the week)
Following Saj's outburst after the Third Ashes Test 2006\07, and no Saj, we didn't know what you were doing out there either, it was a sad indictment on the quality of our reserves.
And the Winner is: DaRick for this, a good introduction to the world of CW rants. :thumbup1:

The Mike Hussey Award (Best newcomer of recent times [less then 500 posts])
Not too many have had a great debut and continued success like “Mr Cricket”.
And the Winner is: DaRick again, now then this isn't entirely on the normal credentials, as we've gone about 8 months without Awards. So we picked a "relative" newcomer (3 months now, 241 posts). Seriously impressive stuff though, and we all hope you stick around. :thumbup1:

Martin Bicknell Medals (Given to a poster recently making a comeback after a massive absence)
Bickers missed 116 consecutive Tests between his 2nd and 3rd, the most any player has ever missed before returning.
And this week one is awarded to: CDAK, who hadn't posted for over 2 years until he turned-up again on the 21st. Welcome back.

Please remember, these Awards are not officially endorsed by CW management :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
35 minutes, not at all up to your previous standards, but at least it was the first reply of the thread. Good start, Shane.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
35 minutes, not at all up to your previous standards, but at least it was the first reply of the thread. Good start, Shane.
Now with mod abilities, I will always be the second post no matter what. Just delete everyone else who posted before me. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ITBT, you had GM abilities looooooong before the Awards hiatus - which came at the end of last August.

IIRR, you ascended to GM status in the high summer of '07, around about early June time. Certainly no later than that.

So you wasted the chance to do so many times. :p

BTW, who did you lose an avatar-challenge to to have Shane in there? :huh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BTW, who did you lose an avatar-challenge to to have Shane in there? :huh:
No one...Shane made my month by tonking the hell out of Symonds to win the match. Made it twice as good because Symonds previously made a century that would have won them the game, if it wasn't for his ridiculous bowling.

Completely owning Symonds (and a few other choice players) is one of the few things that will elevate someone to avatar status, even if he is merely a spinner.