• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'MCG is the worst wicket in the country'

pasag

RTDAS
MCG is the worst wicket in the country

Chloe Saltau
April 30, 2008

THE most contentious strip of turf in Australia, the MCG pitch, has come under scathing attack from Cricket Victoria, which is in the midst of negotiations that could have international games moved from the game's traditional home.

State cricket's governing body also accused the Melbourne Cricket Club of a "born-to-rule mentality".

Cricket Victoria chairman Geoff Tamblyn has turned up the pressure on the famous ground's landlord, whose agreement to host international cricket expires after the coming summer.

He suggested the Bushrangers — who do not have a representative in the current Test squad — struggle to produce Australian players because they play on "the worst wicket in the country".

MCG pitches last season were criticised by Australian captain Ricky Ponting and state skippers. After the resignation of curator Richard Winter, the MCC in March hired Cam Hodgkins — credited with reviving Bellerive Oval — to review pitch preparation with arenas manager Tony Ware.

"(David) Hussey, he's about the only one that has really mastered the wickets there. All the captains have been highly critical. The captain of Australia was so critical, it was embarrassing," Tamblyn said. "I would have thought the first obligation they've got to someone that has a contract with them is to make sure those wickets are of pristine condition.

"They have also, during the tenure of this agreement, used the Junction Oval from time to time. Well they have let that slip to glory. They've got a drainage problem down there that they have been made aware of over the last nine years and they have done nothing about. That is a real concern to us also."

MCC chief executive Stephen Gough last night said the grass issues behind the pitch problems had been addressed. "It won't happen next year, we're very confident of that. We have done our pre-wicket preparation already before the wickets have gone back out to the nursery, so we believe everything will be fine," he said.

"We had a bad year this year. I refute that we have had nine years of trouble … MCC's commitment to cricket is shown in the redevelopment in the outstanding, world-class facilities not equalled anywhere else in this country."

The Age revealed last year international games could be put to tender if Cricket Victoria could not strike a more favourable commercial deal with the MCC. Telstra Dome boss Ian Collins voiced a desire to host "all or some" matches, raising the possibility of a split between Test and limited-overs cricket.
Discuss.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never understood how any MCG curator could prepare a vaguely un-dangerous deck with the weather they get over there......

bond21

Banned
I would definately say its one of if not the worst.

Best IMO are Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Like the Gabba because its very balanced, doesnt favour either side really, spinners can do well, as can pacers and batsmen. Adelaide is good for spinners and Perth is traditionally the best wicket for Fast Bowlers.

sideshowtim

Banned
Brisbane is one of the best wickets in the world let alone Australia. Pains me to say that as a New South Welshman. We've been producing some dire flat stuff of late. Slowly moving away from the spinner's paradise rep.

Craig

World Traveller
Adelaide is only good if your a batsman. Some Tests have turned into a snooze fest where 500 plays 500, boring as bat**** for mine.

sideshowtim

Banned
Adelaide is only good if your a batsman. Some Tests have turned into a snooze fest where 500 plays 500, boring as bat**** for mine.
Definitely agreed. Adelaide being a good cricket pitch is a complete myth. It has had a couple of freak 5th day results that were little to do with the pitch and more to do with one side stuffing it up royally. Adelaide is a beauty if you're a batsman, that's about all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adelaide hasn't been all that good for about four or five years. Still has a reputation due to all the Ch 9 commentators giving it wraps throughout the 90s. I don't mind the SCG, because it's a result wicket most of the time.

The G is interesting. There actually doesn't end up being that many draws there, because it's such a frustrating wicket to bat on, and also to bowl. But it creates uninspiring cricket, and that's the biggest problem.

Craig

World Traveller
Adelaide hasn't been all that good for about four or five years. Still has a reputation due to all the Ch 9 commentators giving it wraps throughout the 90s. I don't mind the SCG, because it's a result wicket most of the time.

The G is interesting. There actually doesn't end up being that many draws there, because it's such a frustrating wicket to bat on, and also to bowl. But it creates uninspiring cricket, and that's the biggest problem.
Ever played on there yourself?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So what's wrong with these MCG wickets? Slow and uneven?
Basically, just slow. There's nothing in it for any bowler; there's no pace or carry, and any spin is negated by the fact that it is so slow, allowing the batsman to adjust. In addition, there's no pace for the batsmen to work with, making it difficult to score.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ever played on there yourself?
Nah, been close a few times. They usually play the One Day competition final there, and we lost the semi final. They also play the U/18 state champs final there, and we lost the semi final for that too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adelaide hasn't been all that good for about four or five years. Still has a reputation due to all the Ch 9 commentators giving it wraps throughout the 90s.
It was very similar in the 80's too. Flat deck, 500 plays 500+, draw the result remembering batsmen scored much slow in those days so a result wasn't even an option at any stage. I remember in the early 90's, it was thought a miracle when it started producing results. Don't really know what changed, to be honest; same curator. Bit less water around so maybe that's it.

burr

State Vice-Captain
ha i'm glad someone's told it like it is. Drop in's have been a piece of cr*p; worst wicket amongst a lot of bad ones in Aus these days.