• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The use of Long Sleeved shirts to mask chucking

deeps

International 12th Man
Harbhajan Singh never bowls wearing a half sleeved shirt. Not even on the hottest day will you see Harbhajan bowling without wearing his long sleeved top.

Shabbir Ahmed (i'm not 100% on this one), is another that I have personally noticed, who alwasy bowls with a long sleeved top.

Now, this MIGHT be personal preference, but I really think that wearing a long sleeve top covers the 'chuck' alot more than a normal short sleeved top. I've always had doubts over Harbhajan's action, and I think the long sleeve top is one of the reasons he gets away with it.

What is everyone elses take on this? Is it just me or do others get the same feeling?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sonny Ramadhin used this tactic all his career, he said several years ago - he said his quicker delivery was a throw.

This tactic would never, ever work in the modern camera era, detection techniques are too sophisticated.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sonny Ramadhin used this tactic all his career, he said several years ago - he said his quicker delivery was a throw.

This tactic would never, ever work in the modern camera era, detection techniques are too sophisticated.
Sorry, but if the sleeve is somewhat loose, and we're talking about a matter of degrees between what is a throw and what is not, then it could definitely be much harder to asattain (sp) whether or not a delivery is a throw or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ascertain. And yes, it can - so if there is any doubt whatsoever about a bowler's action (and remember plenty of bowlers can occasionally look bad without breaching the 15-degree limit) you take a look at him without a long-sleeved shirt on. Then if it looks bad, you send him to UWA for some tests.

The days when there are 2 or 4 cameras at a game of cricket are gone.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry, but if the sleeve is somewhat loose, and we're talking about a matter of degrees between what is a throw and what is not, then it could definitely be much harder to asattain (sp) whether or not a delivery is a throw or not.
You've forgotten that modern cameras can see through cloth obviously! Don't let lapses like this occur again :happy:

deeps

International 12th Man
Yup, you'll notice Sreesanth does exactly the same.
Sreesanth actually wears a shirt underneath, and its very tight around the arms. It's nto the loose fitting type that hides the chuck.

and early on in his career he was short sleeved and wore multiple arm bands... idon't think his action was suspect.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Another reason for the use of Long Sleeved Shirts, is to stop getting grazed elbows while fielding.
Safety and Self Preservation first

pasag

RTDAS
Sreesanth usually wears a short sleeve shirt with a long sleeved singlet/undershirt of whatever you call them underneath.

Edit: As deeps said.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sreesanth actually wears a shirt underneath, and its very tight around the arms. It's nto the loose fitting type that hides the chuck.

and early on in his career he was short sleeved and wore multiple arm bands... idon't think his action was suspect.
I thought Sreesanth wore those sports skins under a short sleeved shirt.

deeps

International 12th Man
After watching Harbhajan again recently, i'm still surprised how he gets away with it! It seems to be becoming more and more popular too, surely something needs to be done?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah..couple of spinners nowadays have slightly suspect actions. Botha would be one of them, maybe ojha too but not as much. Can't decide with harbhajan though, he looks decent now but his hat trick video caught the attention of a lot of people with his action.

A pace bowler who I think chucks was Kyle Mills (not that anyone cares about him)