• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain Mushtaq vs Harbhajan Singh?

Who would you pick in your 11 as an offie?

• Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 27 96.4%
  • Harbhajan Singh

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Bouncer

State Regular
Who is/was the better off spinner??

Who would you pick if you have to chose one off spinner in your team?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What Next , Wasim Akram Vs. Ashish Behra ?

Duh It is not even a contest. In a Better system Saqi probably would have ended up with 500 Test wickets whereas Harbhajan wouldn;t have been picked to play test cricket in a better system.

Bouncer

State Regular

Duh It is not even a contest. In a Better system Saqi probably would have ended up with 500 Test wickets.
I did it Coz i dont it has been done before.......Saqlain ahs no one to blame but to his own luck...he got injured at the wrong most time and didn't click on one chance he was given on comeback.....Overall in his career i think Saqlain provided more quality than harbhajan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Saqlain for mine fairly comfortably. Similar to a degree perhaps never seen before in two contemporary spinners (in that both bowled a Doosra and were both skilled flight bowlers who nonetheless had the limitation of being fingerspinners).

Saqlain you get the feeling was stopped by injury more than anything, whereas Harbhajan recently has begun to struggle even in conditions you once saw him dominate in.

Oh, yeah, the fact that it's becoming increasingly obvious what a **** Harbhajan is doesn't help either, whereas Saqlain has always come accross as pretty benign. The fact he's typically of so few words helps there, of course.

deeps

International 12th Man
How old is saqi now? Kaneria is proving quite innefective, and afridi is becoming a very very good leggy... Saqi would add some variety

I've always been a Saqi fan, and i've met and talked to him, and he's a very nice guy.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
:laugh:

Saqlain for mine fairly comfortably. Similar to a degree perhaps never seen before in two contemporary spinners (in that both bowled a Doosra and were both skilled flight bowlers who nonetheless had the limitation of being fingerspinners).
I wouldn't call Harbhajan a skilled flight bowler, per se. In his prime, he was better known for varying his length, pace and even turn than tossing the ball up.

Saqlain you get the feeling was stopped by injury more than anything, whereas Harbhajan recently has begun to struggle even in conditions you once saw him dominate in.
Correct, although Saqlain's fetishtic obsession with his doosra (and latterly, his teesra) contributed to his demise as much as injury did, IMO.

As for my opinion? I would take Saqlain, every time.

I wonder where your 'public polls' exhortation is?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Is it a test or an ODI that I'm picking my side for?

Test: difficult to decide (probably Saqlain)
ODI: Saqlain

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't call Harbhajan a skilled flight bowler, per se. In his prime, he was better known for varying his length, pace and even turn than tossing the ball up.
What Harbhajan is particularly good at - and it's what's made him such a good ODI bowler - is variation of flight, bowling quickly yet still getting loop, and chucking in the odd really slow, looping one. That and the varied length. It's something Daniel Vettori is equally good at, and again the main factor in him being such a good ODI spinner.

Recently in Tests he seems to have lost this, in addition to not getting the turning surfaces he (and Kumble) really should be.
Correct, although Saqlain's fetishtic obsession with his doosra (and latterly, his teesra) contributed to his demise as much as injury did, IMO.
Absolutely, it contributed. But I still think that, had he not got injured in 2003, he might well have 400-500 Test wickets by now and be irrefutably Pakistan's greatest spin-bowler ever. Who knows - maybe he might even have cured this error of his ways and returned to bowling mostly Off-Breaks with the Doosra used only for variation.
I wonder where your 'public polls' exhortation is?
Poll hadn't been added upon my first post - I've only just voted - so here we go:

PUBLIC POLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!