• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WCL - Global Division 5, Jersey May 2008

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Groups:

Group A:
Germany
Mozambique
Nepal
Norway
USA
Vanuatu

Group B:
Afghanistan
Bahamas
Botswana
Japan
Jersey
Singapore

Fixtures:

Friday 23 May
Match 01: USA v Mozambique, Farmers Field
Match 02: Nepal v Germany, Les Quennevais 1
Match 03: Norway v Vanuatu, FB Fields
Match 04: Afghanistan v Japan, Victoria College
Match 05: Jersey v Singapore, Grainville
Match 06: Bahamas v Botswana, Les Quennevais 2

Saturday 24 May
Match 07: USA v Norway, Victoria College
Match 08: Nepal v Mozambique, Grainville
Match 09: Germany v Vanuatu, Farmers Field
Match 10: Afghanistan v Bahamas, Les Quennevais 1
Match 11: Jersey v Japan, Les Quennevais 2
Match 12: Singapore v Botswana, FB Fields

Sunday 25 May - reserve day

Monday 26 May
Match 13: USA v Vanuatu, Grainville
Match 14: Nepal v Norway, Farmers Field
Match 15: Germany v Mozambique, Victoria College
Match 16: Afghanistan v Botswana, Les Quennevais 2
Match 17: Jersey v Bahamas, FB Fields
Match 18: Singapore v Japan, Les Quennevais 1

Tuesday 27 May
Match 19: USA v Germany, Grainville
Match 20: Nepal v Vanuatu, Victoria College
Match 21: Norway v Mozambique, Les Quennevais 1
Match 22: Afghanistan v Singapore, FB Fields
Match 23: Jersey v Botswana, Farmers Field
Match 24: Bahamas v Japan, Les Quennevais 2

Wednesday 28 May
Match 25: USA v Nepal, Les Quennevais 1
Match 26: Norway v Germany, Les Quennevais 2
Match 27: Vanuatu v Mozambique, FB Fields
Match 28: Afghanistan v Jersey, Grainville
Match 29: Bahamas v Singapore, Victoria College
Match 30: Botswana v Japan, Farmers Field

Thursday 29 May - reserve day

Friday 30 May: Semi-finals
Match 31: A1 v B2, Grainville
Match 32: A2 v B1, FB Fields
Match 33: A3 v B4, Les Quennevais 1
Match 34: A4 v B3, Les Quennevais 2
Match 35: A5 v B6, Farmers Field
Match 36: A6 v B5, Victoria College

Saturday 31 May: Final & Playoffs
Match 37: 3/4 Place Loser of U v Loser of V, Farmers Field
Match 38: 5/6 Place Winner of W v Winner of X, FB Fields
Match 39: 7/8 Place Loser of W v Loser of X, Victoria College
Match 40: 9/10 Place Winner of Y v Winner of Z, Les Quennevais 1
Match 41: 11/12 Place Loser of Y v Loser of Z, Les Quennevais 2
Match 42: Final, Grainville

(Finalists Qualify for WCL - 2008 Global Div 4, Tanzania)8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who makes up divisions 2-4? I'm slightly surprised the US is so low considering she qualified for the CT in 2004.

Nepal too, actually. They always seem to put on a half-decent showing in the Under-19 WC.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Who makes up divisions 2-4? I'm slightly surprised the US is so low considering she qualified for the CT in 2004.

Nepal too, actually. They always seem to put on a half-decent showing in the Under-19 WC.
Dropped DIvisions as some form of punishment. Not there through playing.

If I understand correctly, a bit of a 'Swindon'

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

The Americans got chucked out of Intn'l competition in and their board suspended on lack of accountability I think 2005 and would have otherwise been in Div 1.

(8-) yeah I know they really lay down the law for the little guys but the big boys do whatever they want)

As for Nepal I have no Idea...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
(8-) yeah I know they really lay down the law for the little guys but the big boys do whatever they want)
US cricket administration makes the ICC look like an award winning institution.

US cricket got everything it deserved for the people at the very top and this long running drama (over 10 years of crap and struggle)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
US cricket administration makes the ICC look like an award winning institution.

US cricket got everything it deserved for the people at the very top and this long running drama (over 10 years of crap and struggle)
:laugh:

I was secretly referring to Zimbabwe...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Div 1: The 6 ODI nations (Richard, please not...)
Div 2: UAE, Oman, Namibia, Denmark (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 3). These qualified through regional tournaments in 2005, and were not relegated in 2007. Div 1 & Div 2 merge in 2009, taking essentially the same format as the 2005 ICC Trophy.
Div 3: Uganda, Argentina, Cayman Islands, Papua New Guinea (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 4)
Div 4: Fiji, Hong Kong, Italy, Tanzania (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 5). All these sides were relegated from Div 3.

Nepal, for the record, went out in the quarter-finals of the 2004 ACC Trophy and thus failed to qualify for the 2005 ICC tournament, then lost in the semi-final of the 2006 ACC Trophy and thus didn't get the regional spot in Div 3.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Botswana and Afghanistan are supposedly pretty handy too. Obviously Nepal and USA should have some decent performances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Div 1: The 6 ODI nations (Richard, please not...)
Div 2: UAE, Oman, Namibia, Denmark (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 3). These qualified through regional tournaments in 2005, and were not relegated in 2007. Div 1 & Div 2 merge in 2009, taking essentially the same format as the 2005 ICC Trophy.
Div 3: Uganda, Argentina, Cayman Islands, Papua New Guinea (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 4)
Div 4: Fiji, Hong Kong, Italy, Tanzania (+ 2 promoted sides from Div 5). All these sides were relegated from Div 3.

Nepal, for the record, went out in the quarter-finals of the 2004 ACC Trophy and thus failed to qualify for the 2005 ICC tournament, then lost in the semi-final of the 2006 ACC Trophy and thus didn't get the regional spot in Div 3.
Cheers for that. Felt sure we could rely on you. :)

Your merry band of ex-pat & 1st generation Pakistanis got any chance at all, by the way?

Chubb

International Regular
I think Afghanistan are the dark horses for this competition- think they beat or at least gave a good game to Essex IIs last year, or quite recently at any rate.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cheers for that. Felt sure we could rely on you. :)

Your merry band of ex-pat & 1st generation Pakistanis got any chance at all, by the way?
Not quite sure, tbh. They've never really played this kind of opposition before. Italy, who are decidedly better than Norway yet, have a poor record at these events, but were a bit unfortunate to finish seventh in Darwin last year. I guess Nepal's and USA's pacemen will be way too much for them, but Mozambique and Germany are possible scalps (beat Germany 2 years ago iirc), and Vanuatu's achievements in international sport are hardly heralded.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think Afghanistan are the dark horses for this competition- think they beat or at least gave a good game to Essex IIs last year, or quite recently at any rate.
This game?

It says second XI but it had Grant Flower, Will Jefferson, RTD and Napier were all playing, so it was a decent squad. Certainly a lot better than other results achieved by minnows. Then again, it was a one man effort.

Nabi is gun - think Snyman but with decent bowling - and they have another seamer.

HeathDavisSpeed

That's a pretty awful Essex batting line up actually. Five number 11s.

Westfield, Palladino, Ahmed, Chambers and Swainland. I've never even heard of the guy batting a six (James) and Westley would have been some way short of the First XI back in 2006.

Fair to say that if Afghanistan were a one-man team (Nabi) then so were Essex (Napier). Tendo had a shocker too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Fair to say that if Afghanistan were a one-man team (Nabi) then so were Essex (Napier). Tendo had a shocker too.
True, but the difference is the Afghans are a one (or two, Hameed Hasan is ok with the ball)-man team all the time. As a general rule, Essex' hopes don't hinge on Napier having a decent game.

HeathDavisSpeed

True, but the difference is the Afghans are a one (or two, Hameed Hasan is ok with the ball)-man team all the time. As a general rule, Essex' hopes don't hinge on Napier having a decent game.
It would be pretty bad if Essex's hopes hinged on Graham Napier...

EDIT: Is Nabi the guy who's on the books of the MCC?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, that one game gets a lot of publicity.

I know guys that played for a substandard USA XI that defeated Yorks 2nds in 2000.

It all means very little.