• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Test Countries By 2015?

Number Of Test Countries By 2015?

• 10 (Inc Zim)?

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • 11?

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 12 & +?

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Zimbabwe are unlikely to get much better any time soon, and unless Bangladesh do, hopefully 8.

If they were to do so, 9.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Nine, Zimbabwe will get themsleves banned some how.
You really think they can pull it off?

My thoughts
Anyway I doubt it and By 2015 Bangladesh will probably be sealing their maiden series victory over proper opposition, whilst one or two of either Kenya, Ireland, or Namibia will be embarking on their maiden test series probably either against Zimbabwe because by then even Bangladesh will have better things to do than play against them, or if things get really desparate they might get a one off test whilst filling in for yet another abandoned Australia tour to Pakistan

My final answer 11

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
How would Cricket be in 2030? Hey just a casual question to read some intresting answers from u guys... Dont take it too seriously but answer seriously...:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ten. No Zimbabwe, but another country will have gained access to the Test ranks.
The only teams who have the remotest of chances of being good enough in such a short space of time are Holland or Canada. And said chances are very, very remote indeed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How would Cricket be in 2030? Hey just a casual question to read some intresting answers from u guys... Dont take it too seriously but answer seriously...:ph34r:
Hopefully about the same as it is now. Some good competitive Test cricket, with hopefully Bangladesh up to competitive level, and maybe Zimbabwe too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even allowing for the nothing-short-of-remarkable resilience of the Zimbabwe cricket team (most of the country is and has been for a good 6 or 7 years on its knees, yet still the team manages not merely to play coherently but to offer the odd surprise) I can't see them making the neccessary recovery to be Test-class in the space of just 7 years. And if Zanu-PF manages to wangle another fix, that's 5 more years for possible recovery out of the window too.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The only teams who have the remotest of chances of being good enough in such a short space of time are Holland or Canada. And said chances are very, very remote indeed.
Over Kenya, Ireland and Namibia :-O

Your reasons being?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nominally 10 still for me. Zimbabwe & Bangladesh given the Asian bloc a nice voting majority so can't see the ICC changing things any time soon.

If the ECB had any sense it would give more of a hand to Ireland & Scotland to develop. Forcing the counties to release contracted players to play for Ireland in the Friends Provident would be a start. Slightly perverse that a country should be punished for producing players good enough to play FC cricket.

But that's probably a rant for another thread...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Over Kenya, Ireland and Namibia :-O

Your reasons being?
Forgot about Kenya TBH as they're "already insiders" and have been for years, but the fact that Nambia have recently fallen below Bermuda, who I'm still fairly convinced have roughly zero chance of ever being a Test or ODI-standard team, doesn't inspire me with confidence for the immediate future. Namibia is still a place with more potential than most, but as I say - the recent prospects have not been good. The little I know about Uganda seems vaguely promising too.

Ireland I've always maintained aren't terribly likely ever to be a Test-playing team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the ECB had any sense it would give more of a hand to Ireland & Scotland to develop. Forcing the counties to release contracted players to play for Ireland in the Friends Provident would be a start. Slightly perverse that a country should be punished for producing players good enough to play FC cricket.
That doesn't offer the ECB any benefits.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
That doesn't offer the ECB any benefits.
I think what h meant is it does not make sense for the ECB to allow say for example Durham to hang on Kyle Coetzer and not release him to represent Scotland, while the West Indies have little hassle getting a hold of the likes of Shiv Chanderpaul from their counties...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The contracts signed by the likes of Chanderpaul will have to be approved by the home boards, and will have clauses which mean that if <board> says <player> will leave his county, or will miss 3 matches here, then that's what will happen.

The likes of Koetzer, I imagine, will have different contracts, ones which the Scottish board have no say in, and which will give the county first option.

The ECB have little to no input in the signing of contracts of this nature.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
a whole lot of countries will become test member before canada and holland ever come one...these are the like the only 2 teams out of the top 6 right now with the most expats players...kenya, ireland, scotland, namibia, uganda, and there's like a lot of african countries who have a lot more potential...also like nepal and afghanstan in the future...

Forgot about Kenya TBH as they're "already insiders" and have been for years, but the fact that Nambia have recently fallen below Bermuda, who I'm still fairly convinced have roughly zero chance of ever being a Test or ODI-standard team, doesn't inspire me with confidence for the immediate future. Namibia is still a place with more potential than most, but as I say - the recent prospects have not been good. The little I know about Uganda seems vaguely promising too.

Ireland I've always maintained aren't terribly likely ever to be a Test-playing team.
Namibia aren't below bermuda at all...richard...you don't know much about associate cricket, do you? Namibia are like undefeated or something in the intercontinental cup and are in the finals ..while bermuda are yet to win one game...bermuda just came good in the qualifiers for the last world cup but doesn't really have a real hope for test...their best bet is for odi's but most probably only have the potential to be a good 20/20 nation may be... ..

but there's gonna be more quality teams from africa,..Asia but they got some way to go...im not sure about europe, south America might get some good associate teams,..we have a long way to go, but good news is there's cricket in schools now in the east coast...may be Standford can include us in the standford 20/20 since we are the country who got him this rich...