• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lance Klusener - Where Does He Stand

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
In amongst the Ricahrds, Tendulkars, Bevans, Akrams and whoever else you call a great ODI player, where does this man stand? It is hard to argue that there has been a better player in ODIs for South Africa than Klusener. But in overall scheme, I personally believe if that he isn't the greatest ODI player (OK, that may be a bit far), he certainly is in the top 5 to wear the PJs.

Lets not just look at it from a 99 WC POV, between 1998 and 2002 he averaged 47 with the bat striking at 90. Stats which are similar to Viv's overall career record. His bowling was also rather good, consistently getting wickets for his team. Although his bowling did fall away in the latter part of his career, his versatility cannot be underestimated - rapid enough to open the bowling, skillful enough to take charge of the death overs and everything in between. His bowling skills can be measured in how often he took a 5-for in ODI - 6 times, nothing to sniff at consdiering the likes of AKram, Lee, Waqar, Murali and McGrath are ahead of him.

So, where does he stand in your mind?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
While Klusener is obviously not a batsman in the class of a Bevan or Tendulkar (refuse to compare him to a Richards or anyone else from 1989 backwards), his batting remained a thing of quite some extraordinaire, and was indeed often hugely underestimated.

What always disappointed me with Klusener was his bowling, especially later in his career. After his ankle injury in 1998, it's well known that he wasn't the Test bowler he had once been (bowling off-cutters off 5 paces almost as often as he bowled his proper seam-up off the full run) but his ODI powers were never quite as good as I hoped upon seeing him for the first time in 1998.

Had he been a front-line bowler who conceded less runs per over, he'd have a true case for being the most valuable ODI player ever. And while his batting performed an essential role to a level no-one (yes, no-one) has ever matched, that role is still nowhere near so impressive as that of a top-order batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
Thought the guy was brilliant TBH. Could win games from no where. He'd walk into every side in the world today IMO.

Briony

International Debutant
I thought he was over the hill in the early noughties. Never quite good enough to be a consistent test cricketer. Very handy lower order bat but lacked bite and penetration with the ball, especially on flat tracks. A gun in ODIs though. But not up with the pace today.

Smith got rid of him from the SA cricket team. Those who like him, blame the fat and clueless SA skipper.

PY

International Coach
Zulu = one of my fave players. Some of his innings in '99 were insane, such a shame it ended the way it did. :(

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably the ODI game's greatest ever allrounder.
Would probably agree with this. Though it is quite hard to compare Klusener to the likes of Imran, Kapil and Hadlee given they played in different eras and that the ODI game evolved significantly in that time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought the guy was brilliant TBH. Could win games from no where. He'd walk into every side in the world today IMO.
Presumably you mean in pomp? For Zulu bowls 70mph trite of about five yards nowadays and has long since been his once famous destructive self with the bat.

Though, he would definitely go down as one of the finest ODI cricketers of my generation.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At his best, Zulu was awesome. A hitting machine and a bloke who could consistently bowl 90mph, hard to find a player who can do all of that. Plus, he was able to do it under pressure in ODI's at least.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
While Klusener is obviously not a batsman in the class of a Bevan or Tendulkar (refuse to compare him to a Richards or anyone else from 1989 backwards), his batting remained a thing of quite some extraordinaire, and was indeed often hugely underestimated.

What always disappointed me with Klusener was his bowling, especially later in his career. After his ankle injury in 1998, it's well known that he wasn't the Test bowler he had once been (bowling off-cutters off 5 paces almost as often as he bowled his proper seam-up off the full run) but his ODI powers were never quite as good as I hoped upon seeing him for the first time in 1998.

Had he been a front-line bowler who conceded less runs per over, he'd have a true case for being the most valuable ODI player ever. And while his batting performed an essential role to a level no-one (yes, no-one) has ever matched, that role is still nowhere near so impressive as that of a top-order batsman.
I'm quite aware of your criteria for ODI bowling, but surely 4.70 (bare in my mind his numerous overs bowled at the death) is quite good. I think Klusener's efforts at the end of an inning sis much more valuable than what someone would do at the top. LKs average dropped to 24 in games South Africa won and surely the fact that he has more 5-fprs than Pollock and Donald means something.

A few things; no-one has emulated LKs feats at the top of the innings as consistently as LK has done at the bottom. Jayasuriya has his moments of briliiance, Tendulkar and Ganguly although good are not dynamite and even Gilchrist falls short of LKs achievements. Then there is the fact that LK had the 5 men in the outer circle to contend with, none of the over the top Kalu and Jayasuriya tricks which they employed when there was the mandatory two men within the circle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
At his best between the 98 to early 2000 he was easily IMO the best most complete ODI player ever.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
At his best between the 98 to early 2000 he was easily IMO the best most complete ODI player ever.
He was not a succesful captain. To be a complete player he should excel in batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy, on and off field behavior. Only Jayasuriya, Kallis and Richards fulfills the most of the qualities above.