• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

deeps

International 12th Man
Na reckon Sree isn't in the wrong at all here, sure he might be a bit of a baby but the bashing here is certainly unjustified. Slapping a guy who is your Indian national team mate is just ridiculous and really pathetic.
exactly

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
a grown up NON CONTACT sport. You don't see Sreesanth crying when people sledge him back. Andre Nel gave him a mouthfull in South AFrica last year, and Sree responded by hitting him back over his head for six.

If it was someone like Ricky Ponting who hit Sreesanth, i'm sure Sree would have pushed him/hit him back or did something, yelled and definately not been crying.

It was because Harbajan is a team mate, and supposed friend
Think this is a key sentence. Good post.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You have to be emotionally tough to be a top class anything, if you have a weakness, you deal with it, did Lou Vincent have a breakdown in public? I was not aware of it.
Being emotionally tough in regard to sport and life are different things, being tough in sport is taking sledging with a grimace and a grain of salt, not hitting your team mate when he gives you a slap.

Lou Vincent publicly announced he was suffering from depression a wee while back.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
a grown up NON CONTACT sport. You don't see Sreesanth crying when people sledge him back. Andre Nel gave him a mouthfull in South AFrica last year, and Sree responded by hitting him back over his head for six.

If it was someone like Ricky Ponting who hit Sreesanth, i'm sure Sree would have pushed him/hit him back or did something, yelled and definately not been crying.

It was because Harbajan is a team mate, and supposed friend
Well as of right now, some of the news channels are doing a bit of backtrack as now they are saying that "tough words" were exchanged...........regardless if it was tough words or a slap.....if you think that Bhajji is the kind of person/team mate you should look up to then you definitely have a few screws loose.

I dont know about Sreesanth but I would have decked anybody(male)who got physical with me. And I mean anybody.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Being emotionally tough in regard to sport and life are different things, being tough in sport is taking sledging with a grimace and a grain of salt, not hitting your team mate when he gives you a slap.

Lou Vincent publicly announced he was suffering from depression a wee while back.
I don't see why he had to publicly announce that he has depression........unless he was trying to explain why he isn't doing too well or wants to withdraw from cricket temporarily.

I don't see why someone has to be applauded when he admits (in public) that he has an illness/weakness.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Those are two extremely different things.
Whatever...........I don't see why you have to make a big deal out of it, unless it has affected your past decisions and you need to explain your past decisions/actions.

NZTailender

To bring it into light, to assist other people who are struggling with the same problems, to let them know it's okay to speak about it and not suffer in silence. A lot of people still have rather uneducated views about mental illness and the more to make people aware the better - known sports people being a good way to gain attention.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah and because of some of those uneducated views it actually takes a lot of courage to speak out like that. I was hugely impressed when Lou did so.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
It's not boxing, ffs!

If Harby laid a hand on him, rip up his contract and ban him from cricket for an extended period - that punishment fits the crime

If it was an umpire and not an opposition player, he'd be gone for life
Dont care if its a contact sport or not.........this is about life in general. Someone lays a hand on you........you deck him. Or else get beaten by bullies forever.

This was post match sometime before the presentation ceremony, so theoretically this was not during a match.......different rules probably apply I guess.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dont care if its a contact sport or not.........this is about life in general. Someone lays a hand on you........you deck him. Or else get beaten by bullies forever.
That sounds sensible.

I'm sure you'd get acquitted in a trial for assault on that reasoning too.

NZTailender

Yeah and because of some of those uneducated views it actually takes a lot of courage to speak out like that. I was hugely impressed when Lou did so.
As was I. Was already a great fan of his before that but since then I'm a bigger (:ph34r: ) fan.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
People shouldnt be criticising Sree

Harby, on the hand ......
indeed. He may be weak emotionally but that is hardly something to criticize someone for. Each individual is different.

Nobody here really knows what the relationship between Harby and Sree was like before this or what they thought of each other. Maybe Sree always regarded Harby as a close friend or something and was probably upset at the way he took what seems to have been a normal comment at the end of the match.....

Harbhajan is the one who is clearly in the wrong here. And whatever ban Shoaib got for hitting Asif should be given in this instance too...

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
To bring it into light, to assist other people who are struggling with the same problems, to let them know it's okay to speak about it and not suffer in silence. A lot of people still have rather uneducated views about mental illness and the more to make people aware the better - known sports people being a good way to gain attention.
OK I can see the point you are trying to make. I agree with that.........but if lets say Vincent broke down during a match and cried "boo hoo........I can't take this any longer.........I have depression" then i would say that its affecting his game and should not play till he has dealt with his depression.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
That sounds sensible.

I'm sure you'd get acquitted in a trial for assault on that reasoning too.
I dont know about Kiwi laws, but in India you'd be laughed at if you went to the police and told them that someone decked you because you slapped them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You have to be emotionally tough to be a top class anything, if you have a weakness, you deal with it, did Lou Vincent have a breakdown in public? I was not aware of it.
no you have to be talented and hard working and honest to succeed in anything. This emotionally tough crap gets thrown out too much.....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't see why he had to publicly announce that he has depression........unless he was trying to explain why he isn't doing too well or wants to withdraw from cricket temporarily.

I don't see why someone has to be applauded when he admits (in public) that he has an illness/weakness.
because some idiots don't even understand they have a problem and end up hampering their teams' performance because of it. It is all because they all think they are "emotionally tough"...