Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Incompetent != biased. Honestly, I can barely think of a match referee who is thought of well universally or even by the majority of countries. And when those who holler the loudest are those who happened to have been hard done-by, it reeks of sour grapes. It's a tough job because when you make a right call (such as in taking no action), no-one notices but if you make a poor call through mistake or getting out of the bed on the wrong side that morning, you're biased.
    That's not what I mean. Procter has specifically said "people from New Zealand, South Africa and Australia generally play the game harder so this must be taken account of when incidents involving word-exchange are under consideration" or something very close to that. Which, frankly, is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard someone in an official position come-out with, and I'm amazed he wasn't taken off the Referee list immediately.

And no, there aren't a particularly large number of Referees who are thought of highly by the whole international cricket community - Madugalle is the only one who immediately comes to mind.

But none of them, even Chris Broad, who isn't exactly popular either, have said things as stupid as Procter has.

The Symonds-Harbhajan affair was more an example of incompetence - his findings wouldn't have stood-up for a second legally, hence the judicial fellow who was brought in afterwards finding differently from Procter. But the thing about "players from some teams must be treated differently" is totally different.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Incompetent != biased. Honestly, I can barely think of a match referee who is thought of well universally or even by the majority of countries. And when those who holler the loudest are those who happened to have been hard done-by, it reeks of sour grapes. It's a tough job because when you make a right call (such as in taking no action), no-one notices but if you make a poor call through mistake or getting out of the bed on the wrong side that morning, you're biased.
    I'm not going to opine here, but have you ever looked into the reports he writes and the rationale he gives for his decisions?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Debutant
    Yeah, you get the feeling that the BCCI have really backed the wrong horses with Sree and Hanbi in the past by lionising them in the press. Coming home to roost now, they really look a bit foolish as it's being acknowledged that this has been a long time coming for both players.
    Don't know when BCCI 'lionised' Sreesanth in the press. And while they are at fault for not dealing with Harbhajan's behaviour earlier, they were vindicated in their stand to defend him against the racism charge by the judgement delivered.

R_D
    while we are at it.. number of times Warne bullied the umpire and got away with pretty much everytime was quite extra-ordinary. Any other player would've goten booked for deccent but he got off nearly every time.
    Just watch Warne's appeals throughout his career.
    I agree with HB that players from Aus, Eng, SA and NZ have goten away with some of these minor things while players from sub-cont have often been called upto to match refree's office.

I hope it doesn't become a subcontinent Vs. non-subcontinent argument again.

Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    Don't know when BCCI 'lionised' Sreesanth in the press. And while they are at fault for not dealing with Harbhajan's behaviour earlier, they were vindicated in their stand to defend him against the racism charge by the judgement delivered.
    They may have been vindicated and all that. I guess that's not the point here. The point was Harbhajan was involved in a verbal abuse, which may not have been racial in nature but almost equally insulting.

Harbhajan was treated somewhat like a national Hero for standing upto the evil Aussie. Agree ICC fined him and all that but the BCCI didn't even consider speaking to him, counselling him. This must have encouraged Harbhajan and boosted his ego in thinking that he can get away with anything he does on the field.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    They may have been vindicated and all that. I guess that's not the point here. The point was Harbhajan was involved in a verbal abuse, which may not have been racial in nature but almost equally insulting.

Harbhajan was treated somewhat like a national Hero for standing upto the evil Aussie. Agree ICC fined him and all that but the BCCI didn't even consider speaking to him, counselling him. This must have encouraged Harbhajan and boosted his ego in thinking that he can get away with anything he does on the field.
    Did you miss the part about '..at fault for not dealing with his behaviour...' ?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    I agree with HB that players from Aus, Eng, SA and NZ have goten away with some of these minor things while players from sub-cont have often been called upto to match refree's office.
    By some Match-Referees, yes. But certainly not all.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Whether you want to deny it or not, there's not doubt a lot of people hold people of different descent to different standards. When an Aussies sledges or acts in a manner that can be classified as dissent, it's not seen as anything out of the ordinary. When an Indian does the same thing, it's seen as unusual and is more likely to be punished. People have these subconscious biases as to appropriate behaviour, and I think many of those who have been involved in the ICC (including Match Referees and Umpires) are of this ilk.
    Very good point imo. Likewise, one often sees in sport a situation where a young, less established player is either formally or informally chastised by fellow players or officials for conduct which more senior and established players get away with.

Certainly Procter's proclamation about certain nationalities playing the game a certain way was ill informed and, I would have thought, worthy of significant sanction. However, I blame him less for his findings on the HBS/ Symonds thing principally because he was asked to make a finding to a legal standard (beyond reasonable doubt) when he doesn't have legal training (to the best of my knowledge anyway).
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    Don't forget the racism charge was withdrawn before the appeal (rightly so, imo).

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Don't forget the racism charge was withdrawn before the appeal (rightly so, imo).
    Yes. But Hansen still gave his judgement on that aspect:

3.3 is the racist gestures clause..

[56] In the course of submissions I raised directly with counsel for Cricket Australia Mr Ward what was the level of offence that Mr Symonds took from what was said to him. He confirmed that Mr Symonds took the language to be offensive and seriously insulting but did not consider it fell under the requirements of 3.3.

[57] Given that is the view of the complainant it is hard to see how the requisite elements of 3.3 could be satisfied. However, given it is an objective interpretation that is not the end of the matter. I must consider if the "ordinary person" would have been offended in a 3.3 sense. That again requires a look at context. Mr Singh had innocently, and in the tradition, of the game acknowledged the quality of Mr Lee's bowling. That interchange had nothing to do with Mr Symonds but he determined to get involved and as a result was abusive towards Mr Singh. Mr Singh was, not surprisingly, abusive back. He accepts that his language was such as to be offensive under 2.8. But in my view even if he had used the words "alleged" an "ordinary person" standing in the shoes of Mr Symonds who had launched an unprovoked and unnecessary invective laden attack would not be offended or insulted or humiliated in terms of 3.3.

[58] So on that alternative basis I would also have been satisfied that the requirements of 3.3 were not met. So as to summarise that ground. Firstly, Mr Symonds through counsel accepts he was not offended in a 3.3 sense. Secondly on an objective basis I do not consider the response transgressed against 3.3.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Speaking of media bias;

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/m...234997888.html

How DARE they call McGrath a 'fast' bowler!

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    So, for someone who can't be bothered to read articles, what did Sreesanth do to provoke violence from Singh?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    So, for someone who can't be bothered to read articles, what did Sreesanth do to provoke violence from Singh?
    Sreesanth doesn't have to do anything really, except be himself.

Tbh I don't know either, though whatever he did I would bet didn't warrant a slap.
    when the truth walks away, everybody stays because the truth about the world is that crime does pay #freeshri
    proudly supporting central districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post
    Are you 10 years old? ppl cry, men, women, everyone

sometimes for the strangest reasons too.. get used to it, it's part of life and it doesn't make you any less a man....or woman for that matter
    I was talking about crying in public like that. No-one said it is not part of life. Just said that you look stupid crying after someone has hit you when you have been shouting abuses the whole evening.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information