• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Cricket Overtake Football?

Can Cricket Overtake Football in Future?

• Total voters

ozone

First Class Debutant
Cricket needs to spread around the world more for it to become more popular and as it took 20 years for a team (Sri Lanka) to enter international cricket and become competitive, I don't think it'll happen for a while.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not a hope in hell. It's grown so incredibly slowly over the last 200 years and is far too complicated to ever catch on worldwide.

Flem274*

123/5
funny.. the way things are going in NZ it may out do rugby..according to Mr Crowe...
Missed this. What did Crowe say?

Doubt it'll ever outdo rugby. On the radio I hear people bitching about the new rule all the time but every game of TV has more people than an NZ ODI or even a 20/20.

If we get a good cricket team though then the fair weather supporters who flit between sports might actualy stick around for a while. Until we lose.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
No, I don't think that it will. I've always found cricket to a touch more intellectually-based, as a game, than soccer (or football).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It won't, even with the Twenty20 game attracting massive crowds.

Football is too large in Asia, Africa and South America whereas cricket is generally only a sport played in countries that were originally part of the British Empire.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Try and explain the LBW law to someone who has never watched cricket... and then look at their face.

Cricket will never become bigger than football/soccer.

Craig

World Traveller
Never. Last year in Estonia, a Swiss guy said cricket was a funny game, I was impressed he knew of it in the first place. You can play football almost anywhere you like, cricket you can't (well properly and that said I have played a game of it in hallways and in the classroom).

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Try and explain the LBW law to someone who has never watched cricket... and then look at their face.

Cricket will never become bigger than football/soccer.
thats a good point.. however you could assist in the understanding of this rule by painting lines from the stumps to the end of the inside crease line.. of aalways thoughthis strange myself its like remving the 3 point line in bball and leave it up to the ref to judge.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I was watching the ICL final the other day on youtube they had a bowl out to decide the winner of the 2 of 3 finals because it tied.

Afterwards I thought why dont they just have a ball out prior to the start of all matches.. this gives a chance for the umpire to judge the bounce of the ball + turn. (knowledge for the game).. furthermore if the game does tie your just refer back to the team that won the ball out.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Not in England, never. Football has a foothold in which basically every adult in the country has at least a basic knowledge of things such as Leagues, Teams ect.

Cricket is watched by a minority of people, much less than football. I don't really see why this would change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Countries cricket is bigger than football ("soccer") in:
Australia
New Zealand
India
Pakistan
I presume Sri Lanka
Possibly most of the countries of the Caribbean - though much has changed in the last 15 years or so

In the UK and South Africa, matters are not even close. And in any country that is not a major cricket-playing power, obviously things are more divided still.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No. Football is #1 because of its simplicity.
That's it, basically. Small boys, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? Football's hard to play well, but is one of the easiest sports to play badly.

The advantage cricket does have is India; the three big marketplaces to crack for any sport are the US, India & China. The US generally like their own sports, with only really basketball (which I would guess is probably currently second to association football worldwide in terms of participation & nations playing it seriously) having any genuine global appeal; China looks to be going either basketball or football's way at the moment but in India cricket is the only show in town.

The big hope for cricket would be China deciding to throw its considerable political will behind the "oriental" game over the decadent western sports. Cricket could then have an absolutely massive potential block of audience & players a couple of decades down the line.

I think outright second is the more realistic ambition for cricket & that is achievable IMHO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Countries cricket is bigger than football ("soccer") in:
Australia
New Zealand
India
Pakistan
I presume Sri Lanka
Possibly most of the countries of the Caribbean - though much has changed in the last 15 years or so

In the UK and South Africa, matters are not even close. And in any country that is not a major cricket-playing power, obviously things are more divided still.
Sadly soccer is growing rapidly popular in New Zealand, cricket goes hot and cold and rugby is on a gentle decline (until we win a world cup and they stop over saturating the country with rugby).

I also apologise for admitting that I think soccer is a bad thing by saying sadly soccer is on the increase, it just doesn't butter my bread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't with me any more either TBH - loved it between 1991/92 and 1998/99, but just gradually lost interest. Still follow Man Utd as closely as ever, but don't really give a damn about much else, whereas '94-'99 I kept an eagle eye on everything in at least the top two divisions.

Never could tell why I drifted off, I doubt it was much to do with the fact that I got into cricket big-time around the exact same time, but it could possibly be a factor.

Flem274*

123/5
Sadly soccer is growing rapidly popular in New Zealand, cricket goes hot and cold and rugby is on a gentle decline (until we win a world cup and they stop over saturating the country with rugby).
I also apologise for admitting that I think soccer is a bad thing by saying sadly soccer is on the increase, it just doesn't butter my bread.
Rugby is doomed then.

GGG

State Captain

It was also huge around 1982 when we were in the world cup, almost every kid at my school wanted to play soccer instead of rugby, they were saying then that soccer is going to be huge ....