• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed Sacked

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Malcolm Speed has according to cricinfo been put on paid leave for the remainder of his tenure as ICC CEO, apparently because of the the beef between him and 'certain' boards on a number of certain issues including Zimbabwe.

Am I the only one who suspects that this action is as much a warning to the incoming CEO, Haroon Lorgat, not to rock the boat as it is punishment on Mr. Speed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mali and Lorgat as ICC president and CEO? :-O Outrageous! Clearly too much concentration of power in one country!

Seriously - rather surprised to see Speed has apparently objected to Zimbabwe in some way. If that's true, he's gone up - a bit - in my estimation.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Stil,l considering he was the most vocal guy in a position to do something about it to 'tell it like it is' on Zimbabwe's finances, and that since then the ICC went and staged the biggest cop-out by somehow not seeing enough inconsistencies in their financial audit to take action against Zimbabwe, I worry that this is meant to encourage Mr Loorgat when he takes over to let the issue slide.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive no idea what Lorgat has done to deserve this. His tenure at the top of SA cricket was a mess.

Chubb

International Regular
My god, the man actually showed some morality about Zimbabwe. Typically, though, it was concerned with finance and money, not an objection to racism and oppression. He is a spineless, incompetent fool who should never have risen to such a position. I hold Malcolm Speed in nothing but complete and utter contempt and if I ever met him I would tell him so.

Chubb

International Regular
That's what you get for trying to take a moral stand in the ICC. So ridiculous.
It is partly his fault though. He never took a moral stand until this incident. Anyone who tried to do so under his leadership was shut up or punished like he punished England at the 2003 World Cup. The man had no morals when it came to Zimbabwe.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It is partly his fault though. He never took a moral stand until this incident. Anyone who tried to do so under his leadership was shut up or punished like he punished England at the 2003 World Cup. The man had no morals when it came to Zimbabwe.
That's the board though, he doesn't have that power.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. I dont know the full rights or wrong of the situation.

However, I know people that also hold Flower and Olonga in contempt for the same reason as their black armband protest could of happened far sooner and they only did it to promote their career and profile when they knew they were leaving.

The same logic applies to both. Speed and Olonga and Flower could have done more sooner but does that devalue the time when they actually make a decision to oppose?

I dont know the answer. Would be interesting to be privy to the private thoughts of Speed over the years and whether he has been consistent in opinion when behind closed doors.

Marius

International Debutant
The ICC has proven itself to be morally bankrupt. The real power in the game now lies with the BCCI.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really a surprise to see a South African supporting morally bankrupt Zimbabwe - it's President of SA's official stance towards that country

Unfortunately, it's brought disgrace upon the game and, in particular, the ICC (not that they'd see it that way) and the place should be cleaned out as a result

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not really a surprise to see a South African supporting morally bankrupt Zimbabwe - it's President of SA's official stance towards that country

Unfortunately, it's brought disgrace upon the game and, in particular, the ICC (not that they'd see it that way) and the place should be cleaned out as a result
Who is going to clean it out? You need six votes out of ten.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i welcome this news.. he was a white raciest.. people like speed shouldn't be even close to the great game of cricket..