• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the IPL captains

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Worst is "The Weed" - let's not pretend he deserves any respect

Upset after his team's third successive defeat, the turbanator also looked unhappy with his teammates.

"When you lose nothing seems to be okay. I won't bowl and bat for other people. They have to be captain of their own bowling. I can not do other's job," he said angrily when asked if captaincy was tough.

Whatever happened to the buck stops here

ret

International Debutant
Everything that you write is pretty dumb, but I will start with the following :-

"..let's not increase the dumbness quotient, which is already at record level, of this forum.."

Pretty dumb thing to write.
yep, pretty dumb as its exposes your dumbness :p

with every post you post on this, you are getting owned and the DQ level keep rising :lol:

ret

International Debutant
Worst is "The Weed" - let's not pretend he deserves any respect

Upset after his team's third successive defeat, the turbanator also looked unhappy with his teammates.

"When you lose nothing seems to be okay. I won't bowl and bat for other people. They have to be captain of their own bowling. I can not do other's job," he said angrily when asked if captaincy was tough.

Whatever happened to the buck stops here
to make Bhajji the VC with likes of Pollock and Jayasuriya around appears strange

Briony

International Debutant
Warne easily and especially given the team he has as his disposal compared with some of the other squads.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sorry, just having to post on this page so it isn't completely useless and stupid. Because, you know, I'm fantastic and this will instantly save the thread (H)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep, pretty dumb as its exposes your dumbness :p

with every post you post on this, you are getting owned and the DQ level keep rising :lol:
hey, is all of ur time spent on trying to "own" others in internet forums????????

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Warne
2. Dhoni, Ganguly (joint)
4. Sehwag
5. Pollock
6. Dravid
7. Laxman
8. Harbhajan

Haven't seen any Punjab match yet; so can't rate Yuvraj.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
to make Bhajji the VC with likes of Pollock and Jayasuriya around appears strange
If you could save some time for gathering information about IPL from the precious time you spend in this site for bashing people with larger brain size than yours then you would know that Jayasuriya refused to lead the side when asked and Pollock asked for some time because without knowing all the teammates properly (the domestic ones) he couldn't lead the side he felt.

pasag

RTDAS
hey, is all of ur time spent on trying to "own" others in internet forums????????
It seems so.

ret, this is an official warning. Sanz made a comment on you picking Tendulkar and you started talking about dumbness quotas and other various insults setting off an unnecessary feud. Keep it up and you may face some time on the sidelines.

Any more posts not on IPL captains in this thread will be deleted.

bond21

Banned
Definately, he wouldve been if he wasnt so controversial.

He is better than Ponting, he is more aggressive, more in the vain of Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor. Ponting definately does get too defensive and doesnt keep the pressure on.

So he definately is the best captain in the competition, he doesnt have a good team but hes about mid table with them, which is outstanding.

ret

International Debutant
Sachin Tendulkar is one step closer to getting fit. He had a long batting session on Thursday at the Bandra Kurla cricket stadium where Mumbai Indians assembled for nets ahead of their clash against Delhi Daredevils at home on Sunday.

Lalchand Rajput, the Mumbai coach, later said Tendulkar, who is recovering from a groin injury, looked good while batting and was hopeful his captain would be back soon. "He looked very good, had a long batting session and looked alright," Rajput said but would not commit if his seniormost player would make his IPL debut. "There are still two days to go before the next match. We will take the final call on May 4 (Sunday) morning. Hopefully he gets better in that time."

Mumbai had a dismal start to their campaign after three straight losses but clinched their maiden victory, on Tuesday evening, against Kolkata Knight Riders in a rousing fashion at the Eden Gardens.

Dwayne Bravo, who starred in the seven-wicket victory with a handsome contribution of 64 not out, was a proud man today but said he was inspired by Tendulkar, the non-playing captain. Bravo pointed out a fine example when Mumbai were struggling at 25 for 3 chasing the target of 138 set by Kolkata.

"In the meeting before the Kolkata match he told everybody that whenever you go in to bat with the back against the wall use it as an opportunity to be a hero," Bravo said. "That stuck in my head. When I walked in Mumbai were 25 for 3, and that small thing Sachin said helped me a lot."

According to Bravo, Tendulkar, just by his presence, helps the team-mates gather a lot of confidence. "He always talks about being positive and staying calm and not let the situation get the better of you", Bravo said.

Even if Tendulkar has missed all the matches so far, Bravo felt the important thing was he was always sharing his thoughts and opinions in the dressing room. And that proved to be a catalyst in not letting the team atmosphere deteriorate during the difficult times. "Although he has not played a game, yet, he voices his opinion on the team, the individual and issues like batting and bowling," Bravo said. "Mumbai is a young side and his presence gives you a lot of confidence. When he speaks we listen and execute his plan."

Bravo - who also grew up in Brian Lara's hometown, Santa Cruz, Trinidad - says even Lara, Bravo's hero, looked up to Tendulkar during his playing days. "I grew up in the same village as Brian Lara. Lara is my hero and even he too looks up to Tendulkar. He always talks about him."

According to Bravo, just observing the way the two legends, with whom he has been "fortunate" to share the dressing room with, is itself a big learning lesson. "Both Lara and Tendulkar have a lot of knowledge. You learn so much by just watching how they move around, how they speak and how they treat their cricketing gear, especially the bat."
thats^ a nice take on Tendulkar's contribution in the dressing room

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
thats^ a nice take on Tendulkar's contribution in the dressing room
Typical Indian media, worshipping false gods, instead of focussing on those who are sweating it out in the middle e.g. Shaun Pollock.

One must read teh glorification seeking articles in the Indian media.

Dhoni is a cool captain - Muttiah Muralitharan

Sourav best Captain I played for : Mccullum

Gayle a big Sourav fan

Dhoni a fine thinker - Hayden

Bravo Credits Tendulkar for Kolkata inning

Tendulkar's tips helped improve my batting: Tiwari

It just goes on and on and on...

There are 100s of young cricketers like Jadeja, Pathan, Rohit Sharma, Watson to name a few but the Indian media continues to ignore them and that is highly annoying.

ret

International Debutant
Typical Indian media, worshipping false gods, instead of focussing on those who are sweating it out in the middle e.g. Shaun Pollock.

One must read teh glorification seeking articles in the Indian media.

Dhoni is a cool captain - Muttiah Muralitharan

Sourav best Captain I played for : Mccullum

Gayle a big Sourav fan

Dhoni a fine thinker - Hayden

Bravo Credits Tendulkar for Kolkata inning

Tendulkar's tips helped improve my batting: Tiwari

It just goes on and on and on...

There are 100s of young cricketers like Jadeja, Pathan, Rohit Sharma, Watson to name a few but the Indian media continues to ignore them and that is highly annoying.
as far as performances and talent are concerned, i guess the likes of a Rohit Sharma do get recognized and thats reflected in his price tag for the IPL. IMO, he should be pushing for a place in tests

for the stuff that you have quoted, it's easy to see why those things get covered because Dhoni is a good captain, Tendulkar does give advice to youngsters and pump up the dressing room, Ganguly is a senior cricketer so he is likely to have fans and thus ppl are going to say stuff abt them which in turn is likely to be covered considering their star values

So what should the media cover for Pathan, Sharma and Jadeja besides their talent and performance? They are not the leaders of their teams, probably ppl don't g up to them to seek advice, nor are they seniors to have a fan base amongst other cricketers

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So what should the media cover for Pathan, Sharma and Jadeja besides their talent and performance? They are not the leaders of their teams, probably ppl don't g up to them to seek advice, nor are they seniors to have a fan base amongst other cricketers
So show me an article written exclusively about the talent of Rohit Sharma or Ravinder Jadeja or their ilk, their talent , their cricketing skills, their future in Indian cricket etc etc.

I couldn't care less about the IPL price on their name, it basically had no logic. Ganguly's leadership in this series sucks, Tendulkar isn't even playing yet.

ret

International Debutant
So show me an article written exclusively about the talent of Rohit Sharma or Ravinder Jadeja or their ilk, their talent , their cricketing skills, their future in Indian cricket etc etc.

I couldn't care less about the IPL price on their name, it basically had no logic. Ganguly's leadership in this series sucks, Tendulkar isn't even playing yet.
I guess, one can find such articles in cricket magazines .... though I don't know what cricket magazines are available in India now

Personally, I m not impressed with Ganguly's captaincy too but that does not mean that McCullum shoudn't get impressed by it and speak to media on it .... similarly not playing doesn't stop Tendulkar from giving tips and pumping up the team and if that is having a positive effect on a few team members then there is nothing wrong in airing those views

and Media usually dishes out what its target audience wants to hear. Trying saying Rohit Sharma should get a test place and you will find a barrage of opinions saying how irreplaceable a struggling Dravid is, how defiant Ganguly is, how classy Laxman is .... some ppl are still upset with the dropping of Ganguly and Dravid from the ODIs, even though the young team won the CB series .... some people even think that Dravid and Kallis are good choice for 20T despite them not being suitable to that format and come up with all sorts of reasons to justify their selection

why would media bother dishing out something different when the target audience grabs anything related to these guys like a seal grabs a fish

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess, one can find such articles in cricket magazines .... though I don't know what cricket magazines are available in India now
So you are not sure about that and do agree that the mainstream media isn't giving much space to the likes of Jadeja, Sharma etc ? The way you were posting it seemed to me that the media is doing a great job of bringing forth the of the young talents.

Personally, I m not impressed with Ganguly's captaincy too but that does not mean that McCullum shoudn't get impressed by it and speak to media on it .... similarly not playing doesn't stop Tendulkar from giving tips and pumping up the team and if that is having a positive effect on a few team members then there is nothing wrong in airing those views
What you dont get is, that these players do not make all these statements on the own. Everytime there are in front of the reporters, the media puts a mike in their face and asks the same stupid questions over and over again. What are they supposed to say ?

And no one is really doubting Tendulkar's ability to guide youngsters, its just that questioning the media's role on focussing on Tendulkar who isn't even playing and not on Pollock and his men or Mcgrath's super performance in this series.

and Media usually dishes out what its target audience wants to hear. Trying saying Rohit Sharma should get a test place and you will find a barrage of opinions saying how irreplaceable a struggling Dravid is, how defiant Ganguly is, how classy Laxman is .... some ppl are still upset with the dropping of Ganguly and Dravid from the ODIs, even though the young team won the CB series .... some people even think that Dravid and Kallis are good choice for 20T despite them not being suitable to that format and come up with all sorts of reasons to justify their selection

why would media bother dishing out something different when the target audience grabs anything related to these guys like a seal grabs a fish
That's a bloody stupid assumption by the media.

ret

International Debutant
I do agree that the youngsters deserve more coverage but I don't mind the attention that some of the stars get in the media

and let's not forget that media has burnt its fingers by overhyping ppl like Sreesant who was portrayed as the next big thing after he won us the game at Joberg and there were calls for not over-hyping youngsters and leaving them alone as some of them tend to lose focus after getting a lot of attention

if it is b/w over-hyping a youngster and not giving enough coverage then i would pick the later .... i guess, it's far more worse to over-hype a youngster than not giving proper coverage as attention has the ability to make ppl lose focus be it Pathan, Sree or whoever

ofc, i do understand that giving decent coverage to a youngster and not over-hyping him is the best solution but thats the balance the media struggles to strike. and attention usually turns into hype, which in turn turns into over-hype like fire spreading through a forest

given the tendency of the media to struggle to find a proper balance, i would prefer the youngsters be left alone till they get accustomed to fame and its vices. the IPL will probably help to condition the mental aspect of youngsters in that regards too as it is a high profile tourney

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
  1. Warne
  2. Sehwag
  3. Dhoni
  4. Dravid
  5. Ganguly
  6. Yuvraj
  7. Laxman

We still dont have a fixed skipper for Mumbai so I haven't included them. But if it was Harbhajan he would have been close to the bottom of that Pile and if Pollock then somewhere in the middle between Dhoni and Dravid.