• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zaheer Abbas vs Mohammed Azharuddin

Zaheer Abbas vs Mohammed Azharuddin

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Both lanky, sinewy batsmen who possessed a flair for elegance. They both entered the Test arena with a bang (Zeds 274 remains the highest Eng innings on debut) while we all know Azhar's feat. Both average about the same in Tests (45), yet differ in other forms of the game.

Who's the better batsman ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not a hell of an expert on Zaheer ITBT - but wasn't he less of a home-track bully than Azhar?

And TBH, I always struggle to separate Azhar from the match-fixing scandal - as I imagine do others. So regardless of the of-times superlative nature of his batsmanship, I foresee most favouring Zaheer.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Azhar.

Zed was a weak team and flat track bully, plus he is the worst commentator ever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Love the way the Pakistani post saying Zaheer was a FTB and Azhar was better is followed by the Indian post saying Azhar was a FTB and Zaheer was better.

Xuhaib

International Coach
:laugh: Love the way the Pakistani post saying Zaheer was a FTB and Azhar was better is followed by the Indian post saying Azhar was a FTB and Zaheer was better.
Just watch Zaheer bat against WI and you will know how a big a ***** he was.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'll go for Azhar, just slightly. I don't think he was as big a flat track bully as he's being made out. I think the match fixing scandal evokes such strong negative feelings from people that his actual cricketing feats are downgraded.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go for Azhar, just slightly. I don't think he was as big a flat track bully as he's being made out. I think the match fixing scandal evokes such strong negative feelings from people that his actual cricketing feats are downgraded.
he had his occasional good game on a sporting track but especially towards the end of his career, he was clearly a flat track bully and showed acute discomfort facing good pace bowling on even slightly sporting tracks...having said that zaheer was a flat track bully as well, not really sure how to separate the two...both were pretty good one day players, abbas averaged better...azhar was a much better fielder...he was also the better match-fixer so i guess i am going with neither...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Azhar is my alltime favorite player, despite his involvement in Match Fixing. But Zaheer was simply better.

Zaheer was a much better flat track bully than Azhar.

shortpitched713

International Captain
FTB being used somewhat loosely here it would seem. Not being able to handle the very best bowlers, and tending to cash in big time against mediocre bowlers and on more placid pitches is a trait that is shared by 90% of good batsmen. Yes, neither of the above were greats, but then again both would push hard for a place on either of their country's all-time XIs.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Azhar is my alltime favorite player, despite his involvement in Match Fixing. But Zaheer was simply better.

Zaheer was a much better flat track bully than Azhar.
don't know about much better but i felt he was a more reliable batsman than azhar...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zaheer was a great batsman against medium pacers and spin

Against pace, he was incredibly dodgy - saw him back away and have a swish all too often to rate him that highly

Xuhaib

International Coach
I remember Imran once mentioning that if Zaheer had even half the heart of Javiad then he would have been the best since Bradman.