• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New England Team :)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just wondering how the following “ignored”, “too old” or “injury prone” players would go against the current England XI……

1. Marcus Trescothick - 32
2. Mark Butcher – 35
3. Mark Ramprakash - 38
4. Graeme Hick - 41
5. Owais Shah - 29
6. Stuart Law - 39
7. Andrew Flintoff – 30
8. Nic Pothas – 34
9. Robert Croft – 37
10. Simon Jones - 29
11. Andrew Caddick - 39

Did I miss any….only rules are that they are still currently playing county cricket and that they weren’t picked for England during the last 12 months….

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trescothick - never thought much of him, far less good than Cook
Mark Butcher - could easily still be playing Tests with less misfortune
Ramprakash - ditto
Hick - amazed he's still playing, and while he's not exactly "as good as ever" he's still pretty decent, but he hasn't done anything of much note bar the odd innings at Test level since 1995
Shah - very unfortunate not to be in the current Test setup
Law - an odd case indeed
Flintoff - hopefully back soon
Pothas - too old but might go well for a very short time; also might not, as 34 is the sort of age most players start going downhill at
Croft - never sure what's coming where he's concerned
Jones - can't imagine he'll ever be much use again
Caddick - still a better bowler than most of those in the England setup, especially after last season which was his best for a long time. Currently crocked, however, sadly

aussie tragic

International Captain
Excellent individual assessment Richard, however the question is how would they go as a team, especially considering the experience they would bring......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well you know me, experience is no use without the skills - and several of those players lacked skills (even if it was mental skill like Ramprakash and later on Hick, or skill to stay fit like Jones).

So on balance, I reckon the "current" lot (as long as Anderson was discarded) would have the best chance.

Mind, Shah > Collingwood as a batsman, fairly comfortably. Criminal that Collingwood got in the Test team first, and even more criminal that his good fortune and the odd absurdly flat pitch kept him in there ahead of a vastly superior batsman. Shah has no case for playing ahead of Collingwood, whatsoever, but I honestly can't see how many (not any, but many) people would rate him as a superior batsman.

BTW, please could you vote on the poll? :) In my time here I've seen you discuss many historical anomalies, but virtually no "current" Aussie stuff. Making me less than certain about your true tragicness for all Aussie. :unsure:

aussie tragic

International Captain
BTW, please could you vote on the poll? :) In my time here I've seen you discuss many historical anomalies, but virtually no "current" Aussie stuff. Making me less than certain about your true tragicness for all Aussie. :unsure:
Okay I've voted but it hardly seemed necessary seeing as Aussie is the obvious selection and as such, is miles in front :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually want all the CW Aussie fans to vote TBH, because I foresee a fairly remarkable number of votes for them if if all goes well, hactually.

And someone might do well to move these two posts to that thread hactually too. :p

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just wondering how the following “ignored”, “too old” or “injury prone” players would go against the current England XI……

2. Mark Butcher – 35
3. Mark Ramprakash - 38
4. Graeme Hick - 41
5. Owais Shah - 29
6. Stuart Law - 39
7. Andrew Flintoff – 30
8. Nick Pothas – 34
9. Robert Croft – 37
10. Simon Jones - 29
11. Andrew Caddick - 39

Did I miss any….only rules are that they are still currently playing county cricket and that they weren’t picked for England during the last 12 months….
Sorry to nitpick, but Shah played a test match 11 months ago. However, you could pick Rob Key to open and play Butcher at 4, where he's currently batting for Surrey.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody ridiculously so... :dry: Absurd that a wicketkeeper has opened for the last 3 seasons while pushing an opener down to the number-four position.

Almost as ridiculous as Scott Newman usurping Ian Ward then Rikki Clarke leaving at the drop of a hat... but I guess that sums-up the domestic game these days. Impatience, impatience, impatience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can you please field that side against us so we can win? Thanks.
Reckon it could still have some element of chance of beating you, 'fraid. :ph34r:

Apart from the fact that there's players there who've sworn never to play international cricket again.

Flem274*

123/5
Reckon it could still have some element of chance of beating you, 'fraid. :ph34r:

Apart from the fact that there's players there who've sworn never to play international cricket again.
I'd like to see them field.:p

Seriously, I was hoping the selectors would underestimate us like in 1999 and field a team of:

Cook
Key
Strauss
Pietersen
Bell
Bopara
Mustard
Broad
Plunkett
Mahmood
Anderson/Panesar

For developmental purposes. (Resting Vaughan etc to protect from injury)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think the selectors underestimated NZ in 1999 (much as some other people did).

They honestly did believe a 20-year-old Chris Read who had practically nothing to recommend him to the job was the best man for the England wicketkeeper's position.

And they honestly did believe that the likes of Darren Maddy, Ed Giddins, Ronnie Irani and Graeme Hick (again) were Test-class cricketers.

And they honestly did think Peter Such should play for England... again.

And they honestly did think Alan Mullally and Philip Tufnell were better Test bowlers than Dominic Cork and (at times) Dean Headley.

And they honestly did think Mark Butcher should be persevered with for the most part of the series then dropped only for the last game despite not scoring a half-century in his last 8 innings in Australia.

At least they couldn't be blamed for the injuries to Tudor, Hussain and Atherton. :) Or the poor form of Thorpe and Ramprakash.

They could be blamed for subsequently scapegoating Ramprakash and halting his revival as a Test batsman tho. :@:@:@ Still rankles about him being left-out of the SA tour then not returning to bat in the middle-order for another 2 years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like to see them field.:p

Seriously, I was hoping the selectors would underestimate us like in 1999 and field a team of:

Cook
Key
Strauss
Pietersen
Bell
Bopara
Mustard
Broad
Plunkett
Mahmood
Anderson/Panesar

For developmental purposes. (Resting Vaughan etc to protect from injury)
Probably would still have beaten NZ, itbt. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It might be funny if someone - me no less - hadn't said it beforehand. Even inclusive of the PH34R.

FBU

International Debutant

2. Mark Butcher – 35
3. Mark Ramprakash - 38
4. Graeme Hick - 41
5. Owais Shah - 29
6. Stuart Law - 39
7. Andrew Flintoff – 30
8. Nick Pothas – 34
9. Robert Croft – 37
10. Simon Jones - 29
11. Andrew Caddick - 39

5 bowlers please. :)