• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Happy Birthday Sachin

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are many tributes to Sachin in this mornings papers. Here is my favourite

"....the greatest and most civilised sportsman of the age".

Mind Over Matter
Peter Roebuck​

Sachin Tendulkar is an immensely strong willed cricketer whose mentality is widely misunderstood, especially in his own country where he is subjected to blind devotion and the sort of critical scrutiny better suited for those in complete command of their fate.

Perhaps, the patronising of Tendulkar is part of the dialectic process. Bored by an adulation the player has not sought, observers search for flaws and upon finding them reduce the player to the company of mortals. These philosophers seem to think it is easy for a prodigy to score 70 hundreds with a billion people shouting his name and to emerge relatively unscathed. Tendulkar is human. He is also extraordinary.

In some respects, Tendulkar has been responsible for his own underestimation. He has refused to play the role of a sporting god, has declined to set himself apart, has denied himself tantrums, has asked for nothing more than to be treated the same as everyone else.

His willingness to listen adds to the impression of a man happy to play his part, a player aware of his abilities but anxious to serve a greater purpose. He rejects his assigned role as the dream-maker and concentrates on practical matters.

Precisely because he tries his hardest in every match, and thinks only of results not his own feats, he has been chastised for failing to rise to an occasion. Yet he has done so a thousand times. Just that to him, every innings is an occasion. If this is not greatness, it is something perilously close.

Tendulkar requires no defending. Like all great sportsmen, his figures speak for themselves. Like all great performers, he has lasted a long time and produced many staggering innings, so many that they tend to be taken for granted. But remove him from the Indian team and see how naked it looks! Tendulkar is worth more even than the runs he has scored.

Of course, his accomplishments have been underestimated. Not that the mightiest of his peers have questioned them. Listen to Lara, Warne and Gilchrist talk about him. All of them understand. They know the hardness of their journey, trying to find a balance between the striving, the compromises inherent in a team game and maintaining a reasonable way of life. Remember that Tendulkar is a man, not a machine.

Like everyone else, he has to recreate himself every day. Every now and then, Tendulkar responds to carping comments. Of course, he is too much the gentleman to react with his tongue. In any case, he cannot because his words are subjected to the scrutiny otherwise reserved for Shakespeare and Dylan. Not that he is as delphic as either man, just that he could start a civil war with a murmur.

Not long ago, his failures in finals were mentioned. At once, it was a legitimate point and an undeserved criticism. Often, Tendulkar has performed heroics just to get his team to the final. Tendulkar does not see himself as an historical figure but as a respected contemporary.

Nevertheless, the criticisms touched him. He realised that the time had come to fill that gap. For once, he had batted poorly in the qualifying matches. Now, he peeled off two magnificent innings that took his teams towards a decisive victory. His effort in Sydney counts amongst the most brilliant chasing innings the game has known.

It never had been a matter of temperament. A weak man could not have performed so supremely for so long. Sachin has an exceptional mind. Just that for once he allowed a little fury into his brain. But India ought not to expect that too often. It is not in his
nature.

Otherwise, he could not have survived all that he has survived, or contributed so wonderfully in such turbulent times.

India has been given a precious gift, the greatest and most civilised sportsman of the age.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wish him many many more happy returns of the day... Easily the best cricketer-rolemodel I have seen..... :)

And the greatest thing about him is the enthusiasm he has for the game inspite of having played so much and accomplished so much. Kids these days get bored of just 3 15 over games on the trot...... As Ravi Shastri once said, he was sent by God to do just one thing... play cricket.... :)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India's greatest treasure. Probably cricket's greatest treasure too.

35 years young our Sachin, hope he has a good one and gets fit soon.

masterblaster

International Captain
India's greatest treasure. Probably cricket's greatest treasure too.

35 years young our Sachin, hope he has a good one and gets fit soon.
Absolutely agreed 100%. The greatest representative that cricket could ever have. Quite possibly the greatest batsman of his generation, a fine leader and most importantly a great human being. Hope he has a great day.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only 35 aye? Seems like he's been around forever. Dad always goes on about the time he played at Carisbrook when he was just a teenager. Legend.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
19 years in international cricket then is it? Incredible.

Hope he has a great birthday.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Happy Birthday to the man. One of my favourite cricketers of all time, a living legend.
Lets have some memoirs, shall we?
I remember this like it happened yesterday. It was exactly ten years ago and he hit back to back centuries at Sharjah against Australia, first one to take India to the final (143) and second one to win it on this day itself(134). I was 12 then, and I knew atheists were wrong.
A lot has changed over the ten years, and though he may not be on god-mode for me anymore, he's a big part of my childhood.
Thank You and Happy Birthday.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
THAT Perth century was surreal to anyone who watched it...

I still rate it his best knock. An 18 year old showing the other famed Indian batters how to hook, pull and cut...... :)

biased indian

International Coach
19 years in international cricket then is it? Incredible.

Hope he has a great birthday.
yup...

the first inngs of him i saw live was the one where he hit qadir..in that exhibition match

My Favorite cricket player ever since and for ever

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Happy Birthday Sachin
Could we please have his username as well please? Not everyone knows a poster's real name...

Anyhoo, it's no mean feat on the part of Tendulkar. He does seem like a genuinely nice guy and hopefully he can go out on his own terms when the time is right.

funnygirl

State Regular
Many many happy returns of the day to the every thing of India cricket .He has been an inspiration ,a role model and a religion.